For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Suan Rot Fai and the Queen sirikit park, are two parks joined together by the very bridge I mention above. It is very close to the weekend market, just across from Central Lad Prao. You reach it with the subway and a few minutes walk

On weekends it is full of people, but go there on a weekday early morning and you will not be disappointed

Red lotus sea, you should go in December and January when all the red lotus flowers are bloming or what ever they call it. The lake is covered in red lotus flowers. You fly to Udon Thani and then you stay over night and then you leave early morning, about 45 minutes from the city centre

I rented a car and driver for one day and I covered a lot of area

OK, I've been to the new Queen Sirikit Park many times while visiting Suan Chatuchark, but never ventured further into the parks!

Will do that next time!

Thanks for info!

Plahgat

Hello Samuijimmy

You wont believe the fantastic bird life here smack in the city of Bangkok. You can try any park in Bangkok. Be there at the crack of dawn and take a break mid day and return in the afternoon

Suan Rot Fai is fantastic and I have seen at least 4 different Kingfishers there, among them the very shy Stork billed.

Owlets can be seen in many parks, the pictures with the 3 owlets are from Chaloem Kanchanaphisek Park, where I also spotted all the parakeets.

Another park is the Phutthamonthon Park

Mangrooves are just an hour or 90 minutes away with a taxi

If you come to Bangkok you can do what I use to do, rent a taxi. I pay 2000 to 3000 Baht for a 12 hour day depending on how much driving we are doing and it is very convenient. My driver have one of those big cars so it is very comfortable and we reach Hua Hin or where ever I want to go

The above Hornbill is from Kraeng Krachai, there were both the Great Hornbill and the Oriental Pied Hornbill. And I met a new friend, Mr. Black Bear below. That was a bonus and suddenly it had been worth getting out of bed 5 in the morning. But I was very lucky that he was in a good mood as I was standing only 5 meters from the bear when she/ he walked out from the bushes. Kraeng Krachai have a fantastic bird life but now I know that there are more than birds and it can be dangerous. There have also been Leopards in the area

But where ever you pass a tree with small fruits, try to stick up your head in the tree and you are almost guaranteed to see some interesting bird

attachicon.gif332.jpg

attachicon.gif333.jpg

attachicon.gif334.jpg

attachicon.gif335.jpg

attachicon.gif336.jpg

attachicon.gif337.jpg

attachicon.gif338.jpg

I'm almost sure that the bird on your wall is not a White-throated Kingfisher, an Indian Roller?

Edited

I forgot to mention. I was walking around many parks in Bangkok before I got interested in birds. I never saw any bird, not one single bird, except a peacock. But now when I'm looking for them it is amazing the amount of colourfull birds I see

Just saw this other thread about a man who was attacked by a bear in Thailand!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/927849-beware-the-bears-in-ubon-after-man-is-attacked/

So be careful out there in the wilderness!

Plahgat

Hello Plahgat

Yes, it can be dangerous with the wild life, especially when walking around looking for birds in the middle of nowhere. I like your picture of the Plover. I was also at a small islets where I went by boat. Just me and a few wadders (not any room for much more as it was high water)

I don't mind watching wadders but I have given up trying to identify them as they look very alike. Like the birds below, exactly the same but different sizes

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Some of them are of course easy to identify, not many birds looking like the Black winged stilt

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I put this bird down as a Greater Sand Plover out of pure frustration. They all look the same in the bird book, so just to leave the bird behind I put it as a Greater Sand Plover.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Even though I have given up identifying the birds at the sea front I still go there to enjoy watching the birds. And some of the birds down at the sea front are easy to recognize

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Where do you live? I will be back home in Bangkok in a few days time and I will try to explore two new birding places before I leave for Australia. Weather depending. Are you in Bangkok and fancy some birding?

Yes waders can be hard to identify!

I'm only an amateur birdwatcher and nature lover, but my guess would be Common Greenshank and Marsh Sandpiper on the two lookalikes in your first picture?

I used to travel around a lot in National Parks in Thailand in the past, but now in my old age I've got stuck in the "swamps" of Pattaya and Bangkok.... chasing a different kind of two-legged animals ! whistling.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.png

I'm in Sweden now and only come to holiday in Thailand 5 months every year for 29 years now!

Won't be back until next year.

Have a nice day!thumbsup.gif

Plahgat

• Like 1

Hello Plahgat

Yes, it can be dangerous with the wild life, especially when walking around looking for birds in the middle of nowhere. I like your picture of the Plover. I was also at a small islets where I went by boat. Just me and a few wadders (not any room for much more as it was high water)

I don't mind watching wadders but I have given up trying to identify them as they look very alike. Like the birds below, exactly the same but different sizes

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Some of them are of course easy to identify, not many birds looking like the Black winged stilt

attachicon.gif1.jpg

I put this bird down as a Greater Sand Plover out of pure frustration. They all look the same in the bird book, so just to leave the bird behind I put it as a Greater Sand Plover.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Even though I have given up identifying the birds at the sea front I still go there to enjoy watching the birds. And some of the birds down at the sea front are easy to recognize

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Where do you live? I will be back home in Bangkok in a few days time and I will try to explore two new birding places before I leave for Australia. Weather depending. Are you in Bangkok and fancy some birding?

Yes waders can be hard to identify!

I'm only an amateur birdwatcher and nature lover, but my guess would be Common Greenshank and Marsh Sandpiper on the two lookalikes in your first picture?

I used to travel around a lot in National Parks in Thailand in the past, but now in my old age I've got stuck in the "swamps" of Pattaya and Bangkok.... chasing a different kind of two-legged animals ! whistling.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.png

I'm in Sweden now and only come to holiday in Thailand 5 months every year for 29 years now!

Won't be back until next year.

Have a nice day!thumbsup.gif

Plahgat

+1

Plahgat, so you are in Sweden. I guess you will have a hard time finding any colourful birds then. Just black and brown coloured birds with some white in them. Maybe a red or orange bill. But I heard that you can find the Common Kingfisher

And according to a friend you can find the below Black Napped Oriole in Sweden

Black Napped oriole in Bangkok

attachicon.gif1.jpg

It's a similar but different species "The Golden Oriole", Oriolus oriolus.

Rare summer visitor to the extreme south of Sweden where it occasionally breeds as well!

Very shy and difficult to see and even more so to photograph, only glimpsed it myself in flight!

The Little Kingfisher is more common.

We have a few rare summer visitors of Bee-Eaters and Hoopoes every year,

in the past Rollers was seen as well, but haven't been sighted in Sweden for many years now!

Plahgat

• Like 1

Cheers Plahgat!

OK, I will keep my eyes out!

I'm accidently stuck in Skåne 4 days next week. As I’m accidently stuck in Scotland overnight. So if I manage to dodge the beer drinking tonight and the hangover I will keep an eye out for exotic birds in Skåne during my unplanned Gästgiveri Tour of Skåne

I hope to go birding in Bangkok next weekend so keep your eye out here if I manage to catch something exciting

Another couple of visitors yesterday, they look a bit like Magpies, but smaller, the tails stick straight up. Nice song too!

I think these are what the Thai use for bird singing competitions?... a life in a cage sad.png

As ugly as electric wires are most of the time, these prove quite useful...

untitled.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

Oriental Magpie-Robin

• Like 1