Kuala Lumpur Visa Report.

If you are married to a Thai, or have a job, or are retired you can go to get extensions every year at Immigration.

How did you only get one month extensions, based on what?

Not sure, but I think there should be 1month left on his non-o visa when he applies for the 1 year extension the first time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are married to a Thai, or have a job, or are retired you can go to get extensions every year at Immigration.

Not sure, but I think there should be 1month left on his non-o visa when he applies for the 1 year extension the first time.

he does say the longest extension he could get was one month, so not quite sure what he means or how he did that....

Types of Visas:

http://www.immigrati...e.php?page=visa

And better information here:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

You can also find the Immigration Act in English on the Immigration web site for Thailand.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Yes but I think the rub is you Have To leave vs you can leave if you Want To

Yes that is the thing........ myself when I was on yearly extension I thought about going somewhere but for 5 years never went further than Immigration.... Sure when my present Visa runs out later this year expect will go back on Extensions, but for the past 4 years have been all over the place, why because I have to leave Thailand, so make a Holiday of it and see somewhere new.

Would I have been to Australia ? Malaysia ? Burma ? Cambodia ?, Laos ? Vietnam ? some Countries more than once if i was still on yearly extensions ? maybe not, but at present have to leave, so enjoy planning somewhere for a few days.

It would appear talking to others, they say the same. because the must leave, they see much more than they would on a yearly extension.

he does say the longest extension he could get was one month, so not quite sure what he means or how he did that....

I'm away every 6-8 weeks or so for work and couldn't meet the requirements for the 60-90 day reporting, etc. Hence the one month.

Ok for folks who are here full time I guess.

My only option for the 15 month non-imm O is to leave the country and do it.

As far as i know anyway, doesn't make it so though.

I'm away every 6-8 weeks or so for work and couldn't meet the requirements for the 60-90 day reporting, etc. Hence the one month.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about being unable to meet the 90 day reporting if you are away?

Are you talking about a 1 year visa extension that requires reporting at CM immigration?

If so it doesn't matter how many times you are away as the 90 days only kicks in from the date of entry into Thailand.

Technically you can have a one year visa and never need to do a 90 day report, if you leave often.

Maybe I've misunderstood.

7000+5500+6000/night. 1900 at the local Immi.

It's their "honeymoon" smile.png

I always had the impression that Jeffrey have been married for a long time. Guess I was wrong.

Congrats Jeffrey. smile.png

I have been a few years, But as my wife learned English maybe too well she learned the word Honeymoon so 2 birds 1 stone kind of thing

7000+5500+6000/night. 1900 at the local Immi.

Not sure what is 1900 at the local Immigration. Clearly not a 15 month care free visa

Oh I think headaches are 1900 Bt and last a week

Maybe I missed your answer...... do you leave Thailand within your "15 month care free visa" period more than once?

MSPain

Yes. I get 90 days any time I enter Thailand with no reporting. Usually I do need to come and go, sometimes many times a week and each time I get 90 more days up to t total of 15 months. If you Do Not want to travel or leave Thailand this Visa is not for you and you get to visit the Immigration Circus

Being Married (truly) to a THai I found 2 options for me.

!.) Extendtion based on Marraige

or

2.) Non Om visa.

The extendtion route you can maybe stay in Thailand, First you need to start with a Non O visa. Have 400,000 in the bank for over 2 months, have a home inspection, neighbor interviews, etc. So if you start with a Non o you don't have to leave but have Immigration all over you life and several visit to Immigration.

On the other hand, the Non Om I only need 100,000 in any bank anywhere and only needs to be there a day prior. No interview, no home inspections, easy. Yes I have to leave, but enjoy the time traveling and exploring near by countries. Can be for an hour or several days, just doesn't matter.

Most trying to get a extendtion based on Marriage are strongly advised to go the retirement route. I want to work so that is not an option.

Traveling clears my head and shows me what is good and what is not in Thailand.

It also helps my wife better understand the world around her. Something most Thai's just don't understand

or

2.) Non Om visa.

The extendtion route you can maybe stay in Thailand, First you need to start with a Non O visa. Have 400,000 in the bank for over 2 months, have a home inspection, neighbor interviews, etc. So if you start with a Non o you don't have to leave but have Immigration all over you life and several visit to Immigration.

On the other hand, the Non Om I only need 100,000 in any bank anywhere and only needs to be there a day prior. No interview, no home inspections, easy. Yes I have to leave, but enjoy the time traveling and exploring near by countries. Can be for an hour or several days, just doesn't matter.

Most trying to get a extendtion based on Marriage are strongly advised to go the retirement route. I want to work so that is not an option.

It also helps my wife better understand the world around her. Something most Thai's just don't understand

Good informative post.

I choose the married extension as I have a WP, but I agree the retirement route is so much easier assuming you meet the financial requirement. I hear a lot about home visits but we have never had a home visit. Only the first year application required statements by 2 neighbours/friends. This is Phuket Immigration.

I agree with you about travel with your Thai wife. Broadens the mind. I have to buy the re-entry permits, most annoying, but essential.

There is no requirement for 90-day reporting if you're not in the country; it is solely for those who reside for more than 90 days so big bruv can keep tabs on one. The year extension is merely a time period whether you are in or out; and, as has been pointed out, you won't have to report if you're out every 6-8 weeks, but you will have to pick up a re-entry permit each time.

It is good that the option for multi-entry is still available in the region, though, as was hearing they were clamping down to prevent those who can't meet the money requirement from staying on. Anyone know if they're dishing them out in Phnom Phen?

The more i read about visas in Thailand the more i get confused smile.png

First of all thank you for OP for the clear initial post of going to KL.

what i would like to know is I am tired of travelling.

I have been travelling for over 25 years in Asia

Now i would like to just stay put.I have little or no desire to visit neighbouring countries

What visa should i go for based on that i am married to a Thai lady?

What is visa sevice someone mentioned earlier?

Also a question to OP.

As you have been married to a Thai lady for a while and have had the 3 years contionious Non O visa,

I assume that you qualify for to apply for residency.

Dont want to snoop about your private life ,but if so,what are the inns and out of not applying for it

Like i said before i am happy to stay in Thailand for life and dont want to move.

The occasional holiday might be ok,but thats way on the horizon

so what are my choices?

Thank you for reading this long winded badly puctuated,grammatical thigymajiggysmile.png

So today between 2:30 and 4:30 p.m. is the pick up time. I got there at 2:45, walked right in and up to the window, Handed over my "Q" number given the day before and receipt. Within seconds my new Non O m Multi visa was handed over. Not a word was said and I was back into the taxi waiting out side in about 2 minutes. Thinking back, I think during the whole process I as asked nothing and nothing was spoken to me. Easy, smooth, no surprised. Because I am a worry wort, I have and extra day "just in case" but in 3 years never had to use it.

Some have pointed out this is not the lowest cost to go, but my heading says nothing about a Cheep Charlie visa run. My wife and I have had a wonderful trip, Sure we could have done it for 1/3 the cost or less, but did not. For about $1000 we have had a nice few days here. I feel my wife has a better understanding of some trouble I have in Thailand not understanding everything and communication problems I some times have. for me, clearly worth every thing I have paid and now feel my relationship is now closer to my wife.

As you have been married to a Thai lady for a while and have had the 3 years contionious Non O visa,

Dont want to snoop about your private life ,but if so,what are the inns and out of not applying for it

I will Apply for residency at some point, however there are a few more things to it like Paying tax so many years and other issues. All that I am working on

or

2.) Non Om visa.

Cant understand why if you are married you would go for the retirement visa ratther than a extention.

Can you care to explain further please.

for me having immigration VISIT ME is not a problem.I having to visit them every 90 days or another country is.

so again i asked what are my options with regard to not having to visit immigration or leave Thailand

I will Apply for residency at some point, however there are a few more things to it like Paying tax so many years and other issues. All that I am working on

Agh yes about paying tax i forgot about that,that you need at least 3 years of tax.

i dont work and no plans too.So how do i move on with no tax paid?

Cant understand why if you are married you would go for the retirement visa rather than a extendtion.

for me having immigration VISIT ME is not a problem.I having to visit them every 90 days or another country is.

so again i asked what are my options with regard to not having to visit immigration or leave Thailand

I am not sure where your at. I deal with Chiang Mai Immigration. Before I was married I had a Non O B visa. It was over 400 pages of document, interviews of all 89 employees at my work by not 1 but 4 immigration officers. And not once but twice Multiplier visits to the immigration office and then not deciding yes or no until after my visa expired. After doing this twice, and playing their games, I chose not to go near the CM Imm office any more if I don't need to.

Having them visit me is not really a problem, not hiding anything, neighbor is a policeman. Sure I have been to more police stations in Thailand than 99.9% of the reader here

I can't say what your options are ? I don't know you. your age, paperwork, etc. I started looking at Thai Visa that has many good links. Then looked at the Immigration web site and links, that was a start for me. I choose what works best for me at this point in my life

Yes the more i have looked the more i have got confused.,as stated before.

Why would anyone married to a Thai not choose the Maraige visa over any other visa?

My understandind is there is more paperwork involved ,

,is that correct?

Also i dont want to go near CM immigration ever again so do i use this visa service that someone mentioned before.

I do believe that if so, you dont need to leave Thailand ,or visit Immigration.

There is a price to pay off course,but it is equal or even less than the amount to pay in traveling to wherever be it near or far

plus all that goes with travelling

Just need some clarification folks

thank you

Immigration costs in Thailand 1900 for extension, easy to do by yourself.

How many extensions can you get on a non-imm O visa? And how long are the extensions?

Unlimited as long as you are still eligible, valid for 1 year per time

Once you get your extension (valid for 1 year),do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days ?

Like i said before i am happy to stay in Thailand for life and dont want to move.

so what are my choices?

Thank you for reading this long winded badly puctuated,grammatical thigymajiggysmile.png

Non-Immigrant O (O-A for retired?). Go out of the country to a Thai embassy/consulate (such as to KL) and pick up a single-entry visa (good for 90 days) whether support of Thai wife/kid or retiree. Within the last 30 days, you then apply for the 'extension of stay' within Thailand at immigration (where you reside, CM). Note: 'visas' are obtained out of Thailand, 'extensions' are obtained within Thailand. Retirees need to be 50 and up and have 800k in bank or 65k per month income, marriage 400k in bank. I believe it is easier to extend stay as a retiree as the marriage one brings in a Thai national of course and all the paperwork that that incurs, though you only need half the money.

You can then stay here as long as you keep extending and have the money. No need to leave, only leave on a multi-entry (which Jeff has), but you will need to report your address every 90 days (if in the country for 90 days) for both types of extension.

Assist negates having to go to Imm (including for reports and extending visas) and has a couple of offices in town I believe.

Residency: 3 year unbroken extensions on either of above (though non-married have to pay double, 195,000). Main benefit is not having to go to immigration for reporting or extending visa, though I believe you have to report to the local police every five years (?). Only 100 people per country can apply per year and you'll need to be able to speak a bit of Thai and sing the anthem, know some history/culture etc. Citizenship is next up, but comes something like 5-10 years after residency.

• Like 1

so what are my choices?

Non-Immigrant O (O-A for retired?). Go out of the country to a Thai embassy/consulate (such as to KL) and pick up a single-entry visa (good for 90 days) whether support of Thai wife/kid or retiree. Within the last 30 days, you then apply for the 'extension of stay' within Thailand at immigration (where you reside, CM). Note: 'visas' are obtained out of Thailand, 'extensions' are obtained within Thailand. Retirees need to be 50 and up and have 800k in bank or 65k per month income, marriage 400k in bank. I believe it is easier to extend stay as a retiree as the marriage one brings in a Thai national of course and all the paperwork that that incurs, though you only need half the money.

You can then stay here as long as you keep extending and have the money. No need to leave, only leave on a multi-entry (which Jeff has), but you will need to report your address every 90 days (if in the country for 90 days) for both types of extension.

Assistnegates having to go to Imm (including for reports and extending visas) and has a couple of offices in town I believe.

Residency: 3 year unbroken extensions on either of above (though non-married have to pay double, 195,000). Main benefit is not having to go to immigration for reporting or extending visa, though I believe you have to report to the local police every five years (?). Only 100 people per country can apply per year and you'll need to be able to speak a bit of Thai and sing the anthem, know some history/culture etc. Citizenship is next up, but comes something like 5-10 years after residency.

Sing the anthem, classic.

Thats me @#%*ed then.

so what are my choices?

Assistnegates having to go to Imm (including for reports and extending visas) and has a couple of offices in town I believe.

Thank you ever so much.

So ,if i get the first extension,i can go on extending indefinately(until they change the rule of course)

Is that correct?

Can i go on extending indefinately on a double /multri entry?

For the residency.What if i pay no taxes as i dont plan to work,does that nulify the application?

sorry for all the questions and even the highjacking of the thread on KL and how that worked out

Some informative posts and good information on this thread.

But we are beginning to go all over the map with myriad questions regarding specific member's circumstances and needs.

Remember, there are many kinds of visas (and extensions).

What works for one, is a no-go for another based on travel out of Thailand frequency, marriage status, gender (yes farang women married to Thai men have differing requirements than the vice versa), age, work or retired, etc. And the list goes on and on.

It is a very complex subject, which for your particular circumstances, is best addressed by perusing the original thread of all, from which is derived the name of Thai Visa dot com:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

Here you can read myriad poster's real life experiences, post your own specific questions about your particular situation, etc.

Just a gentle reminder- let's try to keep this topic specific to Kuala Lumpur visa issuances by the Thai Embassy, etc.

• Like 1

No worries, wigan.

Still I think this reporting re: the recent experience of our local member with the Thai Embassy in KL should not be limited to our regional forum.

Thread moved to the Visa forum, with a live link remaining on Chiang Mai.

or

2.) Non Om visa.

Hi just curious,why you had to show 100000bt?I thought you must show 400000 income or pension per yr,did anything changed?

or

2.) Non Om visa.

Hi just curious,why you had to show 100000bt?I thought you must show 400000 income or pension per yr,did anything changed?

The OP was talking about a Non-O multiple entry visa applied for outside Thailand.

Evidence of having 100,000 baht is what is required for a Non-O VISA to be issued OUTSIDE Thailand, ie like the OP did in KL.

Evidence of having 400,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a person married to a Thai national.

Evidence of having 800,000 baht SEASONED + proof of income is what is needed for an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applied for INSIDE Thailand as a retiree.

And to recap; if on an multi-entry VISA, the holder should normally leave and re-enter the country every 90 days. OK for workers and wanderers and the OP. If on an EXTENSION (of a VISA) and not traveling outside Thailand, the holder needs to report every 90 days to local immigration, either personally or via mail. HOWEVER, if the holder of an EXTENSION (of a VISA) applies for a multiple RE-ENTRY permit, he can leave and re-enter Thailand as many times as he likes and only need to report personally to local immigration before any single stay in Thailand EXCEEDS 90 days.

Back On Topic! The OP mentions that apart from seeing new places, traveling outside Thailand keeps his view on what is good and bad in LOS in perspective as well as letting his good wife broaden her horizons. I consider this WONDERFUL and reckon that a fair few of the bitter and twisted, cynical and misogynistic posters on this forum may consider this a cure for what ails them... if they can afford the ticket.

To the ones that say that forking out $500-$1000 on a visa trip locally every year is excessive, there are cheaper alternatives such as Vientiane and Savannakhet. For those that claim flying further afield is expensive, you know the date your visa is 'due' so there's absolutely nothing stopping you booking the flights on a low-cost carrier up to 12 months in advance and saving a whole lot of money. Personally, the absolutely hassle-free ease of getting a multi-entry Non-O visa in my home country (the UK) is well worth return air-fare once a year and the wife is getting used to the snow as well!

Edited by NanLaew