Going "all In" In Thailand........

theblether

I suppose I better declare my position early which is that I will never live full time in Thailand, in my case I have family in the UK and other countries as well as a desire to travel the World, so I reckon I would end up living in Thailand for 6 or 7 months every year. Up to me. My lady can stay in Thailand or come with me when I leave. Up to her.

I'm intrigued by the amount of people who have went "all in" in Thailand. They have poured all of their wealth and resources into the country, and they have made the commitment to live there for the rest of their lives. I can think of several reasons why that is more risky in Thailand than other countries. I know of cases where it has turned out swimmingly, and we all know of cases where it has been a calamity.

What was your thinking when you made the decision to go all in? Did you subsequently choose to repatriate to your home country, possibly taking your Thai family with you? have you looked at it and decided that you are not prepared to live full time in Thailand?

For those that made the decision to live full time, In retrospect, would you change anything?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I have havnt entirely burned my bridges and maintain a property in the home country, in retrospect I would never have invested the capital I did, when I did, where I did, I would have rented for the first 5 years minimum. Always wiser in hind-sight I guess.

Edited by CharlieH

I understand your thinking and your question.

But for me it's a question of going all in for the person, rather then for the country.

Hmmm. I'm a wee bit confused by that post David, it can only be a personal decision but the question is country specific to Thailand.

Awww, got you now......it's not Thailand that's the attraction, it's your partner, she just so happens to live in Thailand. So the decision to go all in is "all in" in a relationship. You could see how the calamities occur then.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

For me, I have havnt entirely burned my bridges and maintain a property in the home country, in retrospect I would never have invested the capital I did, when I did, where I did, I would have rented for the first 5 years minimum. Always wiser in hind-sight I guess.

If you hadn't invested so much capital would you have been inclined to move home after a while? Do you ( or did you ) feel a bit entrapped?

I have no family left in my home country and for the 17 years before I retired here I traveled for a living, never spending more than a few weeks at a time in any one place. I've seen enough hotel rooms and restaurants and have no desire to spend elongated times in airprots or flying. I live in the country and enjoy every minute of my "bordom".

• Like 1

I suppose I'm all in with some out,(does that make sense?), I live in LOS full time when I'm off from work outside the country,, if I've any regrets about moving from UK its probably that we didn't stay longer in UK at first in order to qualify my wife for the same freedom of travel that I do by having the uk passport

I went "all in" and you are absolutely right, what a mistake! At the time I did so (11 years ago) I should have been thrown in a mental institution for what I did. Oh, but back then the world was my oyster, and on top of that everyone was so nice to me! I was a big hit in the village!! And Holy Jesus could I ever dance! Now I can barely piss straight, so I sit down to do it! But as they say back where I come from, whatta ya gonna do? Screw it, I'm still having a laugh on a regular, and I'm a pretty fun guy to be around believe it or not. Granted, if anyone were to ask me what they should do with 200,000US I would say FIND A COUNTRY WHEREIN THE PROPERTY IN WHICH YOU LEGALLY INVEST HAS YOUR OWN GODDAMN NAME ON THE TITLE!!!!

OR, you know, just rent.

Years ago there was a saying going aroud Europe: There are only 2 types of flat-roofs: The ones that leak and the ones that don't leak YET.

These days one can hear things like: There are only 2 types of real-estate-deals involving a Farang in Thailand: The ones that have turned "sour" or the ones that have NOT YET turned sour.

Food for thought. Cheers.

• Like 2

I understand your thinking and your question.

But for me it's a question of going all in for the person, rather then for the country.

I agree with David on this. Ive found the old cliche, you can take the girl outta Thailand but you cant take Thailand outta the girl. Which means if she wants to move home with our daughter, then Im going to

I went "all in" and you are absolutely right, what a mistake! At the time I did so (11 years ago) I should have been thrown in a mental institution for what I did. Oh, but back then the world was my oyster, and on top of that everyone was so nice to me! I was a big hit in the village!! And Holy Jesus could I ever dance! Now I can barely piss straight, so I sit down to do it! But as they say back where I come from, whatta ya gonna do? Screw it, I'm still having a laugh on a regular, and I'm a pretty fun guy to be around believe it or not. Granted, if anyone were to ask me what they should do with 200,000US I would say FIND A COUNTRY WHEREIN THE PROPERTY IN WHICH YOU LEGALLY INVEST HAS YOUR OWN GODDAMN NAME ON THE TITLE!!!!

OR, you know, just rent.

Yep, never invest more than your willing to loose in Thailand, and best business in Thailand is no business. Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

I must admit to having my own questions of those who have found Thailand late in life, yet launch themselves off the cliff without first testing the waters for hazards. Everything is done with such haste and abandon. Some rush to recreate the same train wreck they left behind while others venture blindly into uncharted waters relying on luck above all else.

I had the luxury of time as my relationship with Thailand evolved but I understand that may not be the case for everyone. There was never a line drawn in the sand with me and it was only in the goodness of time that I realized this is not only where I am, where I have been for a very long time, but also where I will most likely fade into the sunset.

Surely I am not alone in never having made an “all in” sort of proclamation yet finding myself “all in” never the less. I would hope most people leave themselves room to change their minds or at least their direction from time to time. Sadly many individuals find it hard to do what is in their own best interest and prefer a more self destructive path.

Yep. I got here at 40 so never had to make a conscious decision to be "all in" as such and, if I'm being honest, I'm not since the bulk of my money is in the UK and Hong Kong (as well as my beloved jalopy wub.png ).

Still, although I prefer to rent, I've amassed so much "stuff" here that it sure feels like I'm all in.

• Like 2

If you hadn't invested so much capital would you have been inclined to move home after a while? Do you ( or did you ) feel a bit entrapped?

Absolutely, even the wife says we should never have set roots so close to other family. Its actually a lovely spot just too close to relatives. A tale related by many here. If I had my time over again I would still be here in Thailand but a different location for sure and its something I am working on for the future.

In an ideal world, I would spend 9 months here and 3 months in the UK each year.

Edited by CharlieH

OR, you know, just rent.

I bought property in Kuala Lumpur and got a 10 yr Res Visa in with it as part of the 2nd Home Program which I believe is still in place.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Every winter in my entire life in the north of Europe I wonder, "what am I doing here". However I got stucked with family, career and a lot of friends.

Finally I came to a point where everything was completed and I have to start a new life (or get stucked with my old not-so-fun-anymore).

I looked around and found Thailand amazing for three main reason, namely cost of living, the people and the climate. I was lucky, I found a

new partner and I decided to move into her environment and if that went out well to build a house. It did and today I have a house,

a new family and a new culture that I taking part in. I really enjoy it but it is a process, not a quickie. The first step was to learn the

language fluently which I consider will take me up to 5 years. But it keeps my brain going.

Yes, it is an "all in", and if I decide to move back I have to start all over from scratch again. Would that be a problem? I don¨t think so!

If I own my property or not I really don´t care about as long as I trust my new family and feel convinced that I am not exploited (more than I would be in Europe).

Sometimes you have to go "all in" to be successful. If I had not done so, my new family has not felt secure and I had barely succeeded the way I did.

But I was lucky with the mrs. thats an important fact. Going on my third year now and still no clouds in the sky smile.png

Since most Thaivisa posters come from countries with welfare systems, including myself, I can't see how anyone can truly go 'all in' as they can always go running back to their own country and get some health care, some social security, some accommodation relatively easily.

I could tell in less than a week I could never be all in in Thailand ...... When we talked about mariage I toild my wife I would be happy to marry her but wuld always need to go back to the US for 6 months a year, I didn't really think I would stay all 6, and normally it's more like 4 but I left that option open for myself ...... Had she said no I would not have married her , nothing persoal just that I couldn't live here without getting a long break each and every year.

I haven't transfered any assets other than the normal daily spending money I need, and bought a Car

I haven't sold anything I own back home either , still have a house and a pile of junk inside it and 2 cars.

Not because I am especially smart or because I'm especially paranoid but just because My wife's mother in Law is alive and she needs a certian amount of help from her\us ...... once that is over both my wife and I would agree their are FAR better places to be than Thailand

My guess would be an not to disparage people with less money ........ but that the people who are all in are that way because it's either here or there from a realistic financial point of view. and they must like Thailand a lot more than me.

When we leave We will do the same thing , She won't be selling her houses , or me selling my house just to go all in someplace else , We will go someplace else and leave all the assets we don't need in our home countrys to retain the option to go back quickly and comfortably if we wanted to. However at some point in life I would imagine we wont want the option to fly half way around the wrold for a change of pace and at that point I will consolodate assets we simply don't need or use. I would imagine some people in Thailand are like that ...... no need for a home someplace if you don't want to use it or don't need it as an investment anylonger.

• Like 1

I've invested 250kbht of my capital in Thailand (paid off her home loan + old pickup + new Click).

I live here full time and have done for 5 years. I have a nice time.

You don't have to be a silly billy to live here.

(Dare I say it, like HS most of my assets are in the UK and HK)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Since most Thaivisa posters come from countries with welfare systems, including myself, I can't see how anyone can truly go 'all in' as they can always go running back to their own country and get some health care, some social security, some accommodation relatively easily.

Health care I can get in my country, accommodation is VERY hard to get unless you are willing to pay 150 000euro or more, I have no idea about welfare but i once tried to get money when I busted a couple of disks in my back but got a big no, so I dont have very high hopes on the welfare system either, especially when I see more and more homeless Swedes on the streets. Our social security system is reserved for other people than Swedes. I agree that you have a point, but it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Thats a reasonale point I guess, the only whay you could really be all in is to renounce your citizenship , But I think he meant all in financially with your main assets like your house and retirements funds to such an extent that you would need to sell what you had here to live a similar life someplace else.
  • Like 2

Another point I would make is that 99 percent of the people in the world are "all in" no matter where they live , most people are tied financially to their house or rented trailor or whatever their stuation is , very few people can just walk out the door of where they are living and create a new life down the road without selling a certian amount of things to fund it. Because most people don't have enough in savings to accomplish that. So if your all in in Thailand it's not especially different than if you were living anyplace else except it's Thailand.

If you were to ask a person in ANY country if they were "all in" they would have to say yes. At least 98 percent of them anyhow. ...... The 2 percent dont really count ! lol

My defenition of "all in" is that you would need to sell some assets to move down the road, or get a new job, or wait to get your rental deposit back if in that income level. But pretty much everyone is all in because of employment , or housing , or lack of savings the world over.

Edited by MrRealDeal

I came here at 22 with work. 'All in' was never a jump into the deep-end, rather it was a realisation that this is now my life.

Family, Friends, Options and investments exist to return home to... But now that I'm married the same attractions exist in Thailand.

As I am not Thai it would be foolish of me not to have alternative options, but also in the UK I would have to ensure that alternative options exist for work etc... having a plan B is common sense wherever we choose.

So if your all in in Thailand it's not especially different than if you were living anyplace else except it's Thailand.

It is entirely different, because you don't own the land (or the house usually), so it's not yours to sell on.

When you leave the wife/gf keeps the house ......... OK, on second thoughts you're right, it is the same.

• Like 2

Another point I would make is that 99 percent of the people in the world are "all in" no matter where they live , most people are tied financially to their house or rented trailor or whatever their stuation is , very few people can just walk out the door of where they are living and create a new life down the road without selling a certian amount of things to fund it. Because most people don't have enough in savings to accomplish that. So if your all in in Thailand it's not especially different than if you were living anyplace else except it's Thailand.

If you were to ask a person in ANY country if they were "all in" they would have to say yes. At least 98 percent of them anyhow. ...... The 2 percent dont really count ! lol

My defenition of "all in" is that you would need to sell some assets to move down the road, or get a new job, or wait to get your rental deposit back if in that income level. But pretty much everyone is all in because of employment , or housing , or lack of savings the world over.

I saw a figure once that 88% of the World population lives and dies within a 10 mile radius of where they were born. I believe it, and that's why I never underestimate what it takes to move to another country.

• Like 1

Their are also risks counterbalancing being all in to not being all in ..... The group of people renting your house might destroy it never to bee seen again , the devaluation of the dollar may counterbalance the saftey of an insured savings account in the US , It's also a matter of timing when it relates to risk , plenty of people who poured all their assets into housing in America ended up in screwed so it's not always a Thai related thing .

I would venture to say that most people who go all in anyplace really don't intend to be there for their whole lives , it's just that the cost of housing ties them to the morgatage and they need to sell the house to move on later ......

Now if you are talking people who give their assets away that is Thai related to a smaller extent than people seem to realise ..... Ok you bought your wife a house in Thailand , it's in her name and you get a divorce and she probabbly gets the house ....... , In the west you buy a house put it both of your names , get a divorce ....... and she gets the house ! lol ...... In the end the same normal course of events happens ...... The wife gets the house. Wives "screwing" husbands out of houses is hardly a Thai only concept...... In fact I would go so far as to say that the risk of losing things to women or wives over a breakup probabbly leans the more risky part to the west, at least the USA. .

This is a Thai site but if this were a site deigned to allow stories and arguments over who got screwed more and more often , Men in the West or Men in Thailand ..... I think it would make the Thai women look a lot more reasonable and less risky than the American Courts and Women and their lawyers.

I dare say that if you married an American prostitute the same basic stories would emerge over that, as the stories we hear about here.

Just as an example ...... most or many divorces are over men sleeping with another woman , in the west thats a reason to sue for divorce and she would win ...... Under Thai Law believe it or not ..... in order to sue on the grounds of your husband cheating on you he would have to have done it in the wifes bed. Making banging your girlfriend at the hotel a lot less risky in Thailand, at least for the divorce part !

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 2

Just as an example ...... most or many divorces are over men sleeping with another woman , in the west thats a reason to sue for divorce and she would win ...... Under Thai Law believe it or not ..... in order to sue on the grounds of your husband cheating on you he would have to have done it in the wifes bed. Making banging your girlfriend at the hotel a lot less risky in Thailand, at least for the divorce part !

America and the UK have 'no fault' divorce. The award doesn't change depending on who was naughty.