Going "all In" In Thailand........

theblether

They have poured all of their wealth and resources into the country, and they have made the commitment to live there for the rest of their lives. I can think of several reasons why that is more risky in Thailand than other countries. What was your thinking when you made the decision to go all in? Did you subsequently choose to repatriate to your home country, possibly taking your Thai family with you?

Sorry about responding to your op, as I'm of the group that did not go all in - after more than 18 years working and living in LOS. In fact I just purchased land back in my country of origin, with full backing of long term thai gf. The risk factor as I'm nearing retirment is just to great, that the reduced cost factor of Thailandfails to undercut it. I wish the best for those who go all in, but my advice would be don't - or "always hedge your bets".

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have poured all of their wealth and resources into the country, and they have made the commitment to live there for the rest of their lives. I can think of several reasons why that is more risky in Thailand than other countries. What was your thinking when you made the decision to go all in? Did you subsequently choose to repatriate to your home country, possibly taking your Thai family with you?

Sorry about responding to your op, as I'm of the group that did not go all in - after more than 18 years working and living in LOS. In fact I just purchased land back in my country of origin, with full backing of long term thai gf. The risk factor, as I'm near retirment, is just too great, that the reduced cost factor of Thailandfails to undercut it. I wish the best for those who go all in, but my advice would be don't - or "always hedge your bets".

Like David48 it could have been any country it just so happened it was in Thailand. Moved lock, stock and barrel and could not be happier. If i could change one thing I would have been a little more careful with my resources. Ie - in the beginning I got hooked in by two expats doing the old song and dance how they couldn't survive here etc....

Gave one of them 1,000 USD and paid the second one 1,200 USD. So not a lot but when I found out later that the one used it to buy drugs and not a plane ticket home and the other used it to take his girlfriend on a holiday instead of medical treatment as he stated he needed....well.....but I gave the money with no strings attached so my own fault.

But other than that (and it did not by any stretch break me) the move has been seamless and as enjoyable as my first go around with my first wife in the West.

So I count myself lucky as I have stated before to have had two wonderful experiences in my life. This place can chew you up and spit you out if you are not careful though. But and this is a big but.......finding the right person (same as it would be in the UK, US or elsewhere) is sooooo important if you are looking to settle down with a family / spouse full time!

rct99q, I'm amazed that you admit to having given that much money to scammers - kudos for your honesty. One of the few pluses of the classic 'cynical Farang' mentality is that you dont believe anyone 100% - it works for me with most beggars but occasionally I'm confronted by something that still shakes me up. Conventional wisdom has it that most of Bangkok's beggars are retrieved by their criminal minders each night and taken back to whatever accommodations they have to house them till the next 'shift'. Staggering down Suk on my way back to Soi 22 at around 3am, I was surprised to find a woman sleeping next to one of the pedestrian overpasses, her baby asleep beside her. I normally buy food / Milo etc and hand it to the kids if I feel inclined to give anything during the day, but at that hour I had nothing beyond a stash of ten baht coins that had accumulated in my pocket - in a completely futile gesture I left the pittance next to the child and continued on my less-than-merry-way. I occasionally like to tell myself that I had a less-than-ideal childhood, but something like that puts it all in perspective.

• Like 1