• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

at home they don't have a bike like this,

so they rent them here.

then you things like this...

RIP lady

What a load of <deleted>, plenty of "big" bikes in Russia.

I don't think that was Harley's point.

The point is that too many tourists who don't have any experience with big bikes, come here and rent one because it is easy and dirt cheap.

Lao Po

Your stats are out of date. The Samui annual death toll is 23,400 tourists. Please see my post.

Thank you.

I understand your post but I don't think it's the time to make sarcastic jokes about it; every death of a tourist is one too many sad.png

and every death of a Thai is one too many too......isn't it? or have I missed something here?

Yes, since the topic is about a TOURIST who died in the motor accident, not a Thai, but of course a human being is a human being, no matter where he/she's from.

There is a bright side to this article. So many times I speak to idiots who try to argue that not wearing a helmet is safe/safer. This adequately demonstrates that 2 people in the same accident, 1 with and 1 without, do NOT come out the same. So sad for the family of the girl.

on a personal level it makes me furious when I see the pics we dont publish, of perfectly pleasant people who "didn't" think to wear one. There is nothing sadder than waking here to do the news and having a series of accidents, all with head injuries, all dead. a few weeks ago a father, mother and 7 year old, all on one bike. gone. My old Lady is on a final warning for our bike as the nipper has his own helmet but she "forgets" to make him wear it. I showed her those photos, and have told her the bike will be sold if it ever happens again. it amounts to manslaughter really, if a rider doesnt make his/her passenger wear one too. In my case.. she still insists it messes her hair up.Madness

My girlfriend came up to CM for the first time over NYE and the first thing we did was go buy her a helmet. I have taken measurements and will be buying her a proper DOT/Snell cetified one when I visit home in March. I don't care if we are on a bigger bike or just a honda dream, wear a GOOD helmet...

• Like 2

This is so "not news". I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui.

I guess there aren't much tourists left on Samui at that rate.

tongue.png

• Like 1

This is so "not news". I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui. It remains the most lawless land in Thailand. The police talk about the helmet laws, and all they do is collect tea money once per month, at their monthly fund raising roadblocks. No concern for safety, whatsoever. Lip service whenever these deaths are publicized, but the fabulously timid Samui Gazette, and Samui Express will not report about these deaths, nor with the Bangkok Post, or the Nation, since they are highly censored. So, it remains a big secret that I found about from my friends at Samui Rescue. Whenever I go to the hospital, I see many bike injuries. No one really knows how many are injured every month, but the mixture of drinking while driving, lack of motorbike skills, the unlicensed 10 year olds riding motorbikes (that the toy police refuse to do anything about) and the young men (boys really) that drive like kamikazes, plus the central governments absolute refusal to put any priority on the completion of the main road in Samui (the ring road), make Samui a very toxic mix, when it comes to driver safety.

Mike - you need to get our more and stay away from beer talk.

Your comments about Samui are so ridiculous.

60 tourists a month dead from mb accidents? Get real. Almost every government in the world would be issuing a 'travel warning'.

Police checks for helmets happen regularly and frequently on quite a few places on the island. NOT tea money - long queues and with receipts.

Your friends at Samui Rescue tell you this number? I suspect that it is 'bragging rights'. (Not to mention the lost wallets, iphones and watches that 'disappear' at the scene of accidents.)

You are obviously correct about the young kids, 6 on a bike, carrying the kitchen sink brigade - but this is not a Samui issue - happens all over Thailand. Also - we have 4 International hospitals here that make huge profits from all of the accidents. (60 accidents a month involving tourists I could easlily believe.)

Slagging off the ring road is old hat now. A fair amount of it has been improved - covered with tarmac. Of course - this means that the locals can now drive their mb's much faster - less bumps.

• Like 1

The point is tourists come to Thailand having very little experience riding any motorbikes. The rider who crashed may well have experience, however there are no checks made by the renter.

These big bikes are really unnecessary for Pattaya roads, scooters are dangerous enough. We have all seen tourists with bandaged legs and its usually bike accidents.

Spidermikes stats are correct, source lucky bar soi 16.

You people shouldn't make light of his stats -- he receieved SECRET information from his friends at Samui rescue (imagine how connected he is to have pierced the veil of the grand conspiracy).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

You guys are making a big joke out of this, but nearly every day I see an ambulance speeding away from the scene of a motorbike accident. I cannot begin to describe how many accidents I have seen on Samui. I know several people who have been killed on bikes. Everyone here does. So, sober up please, and consider this a serious topic.

This is what makes Pattaya a dangerous place to ride. People who probably have little motorcycle experience being allowed to jump on a large displacement sportbike. Little do they understand that these machines are not toys.

I wonder if the police will prosecute the Thai guys for renting out a bike to a tourist who more than likely is not licenced to ride a motorcycle?

You people shouldn't make light of his stats -- he receieved SECRET information from his friends at Samui rescue (imagine how connected he is to have pierced the veil of the grand conspiracy).

You guys are making a big joke out of this, but nearly every day I see an ambulance speeding away from the scene of a motorbike accident. I cannot begin to describe how many accidents I have seen on Samui. I know several people who have been killed on bikes. Everyone here does. So, sober up please, and consider this a serious topic.

Yes we all agree that this is an serious issue,but when you bring up rediculous numbers you will get,well rediculous replies coffee1.gif .

This is so "not news". I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui. It remains the most lawless land in Thailand. The police talk about the helmet laws, and all they do is collect tea money once per month, at their monthly fund raising roadblocks.

I think the motorbike death rate on Koh Samui is actually 450 tourists per week. [source: made-up statistics}

rolleyes.gif

I lived there for 6 months about 12 years ago. The number of tourists that died , mostly on motorcycles, was about one a day. So the numbers now should be a bit higher. This was also the best kept secrets on the island, and was never talked about.

I have been riding here for a long time. My biggest fear is being taken out by one of these morons on a rented sport bike.

If it was up to me, those bikes would be banned here. You have morons riding in essence high powered track bikes in a crowded tourist city......

Edited by EyesWideOpen

This is so "not news". I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui. It remains the most lawless land in Thailand. The police talk about the helmet laws, and all they do is collect tea money once per month, at their monthly fund raising roadblocks.

I think the motorbike death rate on Koh Samui is actually 450 tourists per week. [source: made-up statistics}

rolleyes.gif

I lived there for 6 months about 12 years ago. The number of tourists that died , mostly on motorcycles, was about one a day. So the number

now should be a bit higher. This was also the best kept secrets on the island, and was never talked about.

Best kept secret that was never talked about...yet you are able to confidently come up with figures based on your 6 months, 12 years ago...

I guess it's not impossible.

rolleyes.gif

I lived there for 6 months about 12 years ago. The number of tourists that died , mostly on motorcycles, was about one a day. So the number

now should be a bit higher. This was also the best kept secrets on the island, and was never talked about.

Best kept secret that was never talked about...yet you are able to confidently come up with figures based on your 6 months, 12 years ago...

I guess it's not impossible.

Well let's see........I lived there , so would probably have access to more information .......Or maybe I should have been more clear.

The short term tourists were the one that did not realize the danger posed by step through bikes on sandy windy roads....

Well let's see........I lived there , so would probably have access to more information .......Or maybe I should have been more clear.

The short term tourists were the one that did not realize the danger posed by step through bikes on sandy windy roads....

I lived there as well (even longer than yourself). I didn't hear the best kept secret that was never talked about. (And I don't know how you can come up with a number, but I can't).

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thai women putting her 18 month old toddler who can just about stand up between her legs put so he is standing on the footing section of her motorbike and then riding off.

Now both are wrong in my mind but <deleted> Thai people lets just have a little common sense, women like that should be sterlilised.

Your last words are a bit harsh!

If you want heal the world, buy her a car-first car scheme, let her make a cars driving license, purchase a proper child security seat

and pay the First Class insurance.

Not willing to do? So. let her drive that way she can afford it.

By the way -You think in all the other less developed Asian and African and South American countries its a different style?

OMG and that poor woman must be sterilized! Man!no1.gif

• Like 1

Wow that is unheard of! Tourist killed on a rental motorbike in Thailand? Never rented one, never wanted to as a result of watching Thais drive, drink and deception in everything you rent in the LOS. RIP to the unfortunate young lady who had to be a part of some guys fantasy driving a fast superbike in the glitzy, fabulous thriving resort town of Pattaya, Thailand.

Having recently purchased a GSXR1000 It truly scares me to the point I do not want to ride it.

I do not know why you fearful now, you will not buy one of the most Powerful bikes around without experience, or? rolleyes.gif

If you did so -Ting Tong- than, just let it go on slowly, take some holidays and drive somewhere where is less traffic but good roads and get used to the bike.

Drive slowly and learn, drive 300-350 km a day.

If you are in Pattaya, drive down to Hat Lek-Cambodian border, drive roads less busy.

Do not use the full power, let yourself learn the bike and than comes the secure feeling.

Do never drink and drive with such a bike! Have fun.wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui.

" I have heard that as many as 60 tourists die PER MONTH, on motorbikes in Koh Samui.".............yes must have "heard" that,because there is not any statistic in the world to back up that claim...........................maybee 60 INCIDENTS is more correct laugh.png !?!?

That would be around 700 dead tourists per year, driving motorbikes on Samui...?

If there would be 700 dead tourists, who rode motorbikes, in ANY tourist country in the world (not just on a small island) touroperators would not sell a single trip anymore.

hmmm

Phuket, 170- 190 road death, mostly on motorbikes, in a year in Phuket. Was just some years ago only 135!

I think they cheated in that year!rolleyes.gif So you think in the right dimensions from Samui.

I, Iazy to check it out.

Edited by ALFREDO

Friend called from England complaining he had just got 6 points for going 36 in a 30MPH zone, thus racking up 12 points to get a 6 month ban, his other 6 points were for driving a clients VW camper when only having car insurance.

Then to contract 5 minutes after this conversation i see a Thai women putting her 18 month old toddler who can just about stand up between her legs put so he is standing on the footing section of her motorbike and then riding off.

Now both are wrong in my mind but <deleted> Thai people lets just have a little common sense, women like that should be sterlilised.

The 18 month old toddler is the reason developing second world Nations have the best gymnist in the Olympics.......... hey whitey get past it...!

Why does one report say he was wearing a helmet and the other says he was not.

Is it seriously that hard to observe and report on an incident ?

the pictures seem to pretty clearly indicate we was not wearing a helmet

The pictures do not always tell the whole story. My cousin was in a hit & run by a car on Pattaya Tai a few months ago and the helmet came off his head on impact. Luckily passers by called for help and they were able to get him to a hospital. He had internal injuries and his face looked like he had gotten beat with an ugly stick.

..............<deleted> Thai people lets just have a little common sense, women like that should be sterlilised.

So let me get this straight. What you are saying is that if a Thai is so poor as to not be able to afford a car then they should be denied the right of a form of personal transport? Why should they be sterilised? They know and accept the risks. Why should British standards be applied to a country that is willing to accept different standards? It disturbs me that so many people on this forum want to impose their own view of the world onto other people. Diversity and tolerance are what we should be concerned about people.

• Like 2

..............<deleted> Thai people lets just have a little common sense, women like that should be sterlilised.

So let me get this straight. What you are saying is that if a Thai is so poor as to not be able to afford a car then they should be denied the right of a form of personal transport? Why should they be sterilised? They know and accept the risks. Why should British standards be applied to a country that is willing to accept different standards? It disturbs me that so many people on this forum want to impose their own view of the world onto other people. Diversity and tolerance are what we should be concerned about people.

Many on TV are concerned about the huge number of death and injury in Thailand, especially children, where not wearing helmets is a contributing factor. Don't get why not wearing helmets should be should be accepted as "Diversity".

Thai police should be ashamed of themselves for not enforcing the 400 baht fine for not wearing a helmet by accepting bribes for a lesser amount. If the fine was universally enforced you would quickly see more & more Thais wearing helmets.

Edited by simple1

Many on TV are concerned about the huge number of death and injury in Thailand, especially children, where not wearing helmets is a contributing factor. Don't get why not wearing helmets should be should be accepted as "Diversity".

Thai police should be ashamed of themselves for not enforcing the 400 baht fine for not wearing a helmet by accepting bribes for a lesser amount. If the fine was universally enforced you would quickly see more & more Thais wearing helmets.

For that to happen you need to stamp out the corruption and it will never happen.

Thailand DOES have similar road laws to the west but they are not policed to an extent that is useful in saving lives. Tea money is the key for those who should be taking care of the populous. LOS has a huge police force but where are they huh.png , how often do you see one, after dark forget it. Where l live never seen one, so ten year olds can belt around on scooters.. sad.png

After posting this story on our website I was due to meet a pal at Maprachan lake, just down the road, for a quick drink on thursday. First I stopped off to replace the headlamp bulb that Madam had ignored for probably weeks and I was unaware of. Riding the short trip, I was stuck behind a richbitch in a 4x4 who slowed down more and more and veered toward the kerb. thought she was drunk but...NO.. she was watching TV.. yes I kid you not.

2 cans of cider later I left and was more than aware that, especially on the new but pathetic road surface which has managed to mirror allt he previous bumps, I was an insignificant scooter rider and very vulnerable.

Bikes, like guns, dont kill people.. people kill people, but I dont want to be one of those people :( ( my crash helmet is a full facial btw ;) )

Thailand DOES have similar road laws to the west but they are not policed to an extent that is useful in saving lives. Tea money is the key for those who should be taking care of the populous. LOS has a huge police force but where are they huh.png , how often do you see one, after dark forget it. Where l live never seen one.sad.png

I happy I not see them out on the road to much, whatever time, but if they are out, I like they take my tea-money.

Fast, cheaper, convenient!

Not same our Austrian Police who acts same -Robber barons and highwaymen- wink.png With crazy high inflated prices and

with, Criminal charges, court summonses and withdrawal of driving license.

In uniform and especially unrecognizable as Police without uniform, in normal cars,

not recognizable, as police cars, even on unrecognizable motorcycles! whistling.gif

Be careful what you wish for, some Wild West has its advantages to. smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Actually central Pattaya does seem to be one of the few places in Thailand where the helmet laws are applied to all, regardless of colour. I regularly see checkpoints and riders being stopped and fined, and in central Pattaya nearly all people do now wear helmets.

In other towns hardly anyone ever seems to wear one and no one seems to be very interested.