Free Hosting

endure

I'm thinking about setting up a little personal website. I'm a cheapskate. Can anyone recommend a free, ad-free website host please. It would be nice to have loads of extra stuff on it even though I don't yet understand how to use it. biggrin.png

I'm thinking about setting up a little personal website. I'm a cheapskate. Can anyone recommend a free, ad-free website host please. It would be nice to have loads of extra stuff on it even though I don't yet understand how to use it.

loads off stuff? got a domain? PM me unless you wanna host a mirror of TV there. =-)))

Edited by JakeBKK

I'm thinking about setting up a little personal website. I'm a cheapskate. Can anyone recommend a free, ad-free website host please. It would be nice to have loads of extra stuff on it even though I don't yet understand how to use it. biggrin.png

Www.wix.com

Just checked this. The free version is not ad-free.

Any free web hosting is going to either be ad based or have severe limitations regarding what kind of site you can host on it, but below are some ideas that might help you get your feet wet if you're just looking to start a little personal website.

If you want to start an intranet site for your business or a very basic website you could try Google Sites.

If you want to start a blog you could use wordpress or blogger.

Oh and I'm new to the forums. Hello Everyone. wai.gif

Edited by mcnad

Wordpress .org or .com

1 is free software and the other is free and hosted websites.... my memory escapes me!

Excellent for blogs but also can support more normal websites. The best your lack of money can buy.

But when your ambitions and desires for the site grow expect to pay for it!

And if you can spare the money of just a few beers, for 1 dollar/month you can get full hosting.

www.3ix.org

I find them excellent for testing websites, they have everything, full cpanel, php, mysql, emails, fantastico for those wishing to install scripts but don't have the experience/knowledge to do this manually etc.

I would not use them to host an important commercial website as downtimes can happen and customer support is not always instant. But for non important personal sites or testing, can't really go wrong at the price.

I have been using greenhosting247.co.uk for some time and have found them really good. At the moment they have a new year special with a full year of hosting for only $14.99 with unlimited disk space and bandwidth also with free domain name as well.

Worth checking out. I find the tech guys good and usually answer quickly.

Hope that helps a bit.

PS

They also have a free verson for you to try first. Yes very limited but at least you can try the service first.

Edited by neilbla

Wordpress .org or .com

1 is free software and the other is free and hosted websites.... my memory escapes me!

Wordpress .com is the free one. I tried posting it yesterday but got an error that said I couldn't post links. Guess it's cause i'm new to the forums or something.

Also to the OP, you should try to get hosting that is close to where your target audience is located. If most of your web visitors will be from the UK you should look for UK hosting. If most of your visitors will be from Thailand you should either look for Thai or Singapore hosting (although I would recommend hosting in Singapore).

Edited by mcnad

I have been using greenhosting247.co.uk for some time and have found them really good. At the moment they have a new year special with a full year of hosting for only $14.99 with unlimited disk space and bandwidth also with free domain name as well.

Sorry for the pedantry, but 'unlimited disk space and bandwidth' is virtually impossible. Un-metered and unmeasured are possible ..

'unlimited disk space and bandwidth' is common marketing hype in the industry.

Also, 99.9%, you will not own the domain name.

• Like 1

Sorry for the pedantry, but 'unlimited disk space and bandwidth' is virtually impossible. Un-metered and unmeasured are possible ..

'unlimited disk space and bandwidth' is common marketing hype in the industry.

Also, 99.9%, you will not own the domain name.

+1

There is no such thing as unlimited disk space and bandwidth. It's completely a marketing gimmick. And at $14.99 a year you can bet your bottom dollar you won't own the domain name. Read the Terms and Conditions closely when you see deals like this.

Edited by mcnad

Can write hours but this is the place to be..... http://www.awardspace.com/

• 250 MB Disk Space
  • 5 GB Traffic
  • 1 Domain Hosting
  • 3 Subdomains
  • 1 MySQL(v.5) Database
  • 100% NO ADS
  • PHP5 , Perl/CGI-BIN , FTP
  • Joomla & Wordpress Installer
  • 1 Email(IMAP, POP3), Webmail
  • Email Sending (SMTP ON)

That seems like a pretty decent option. Just make sure to read the Terms of Service for the free hosting to make sure it's suitable for your needs.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Many free providers don't give you an upper level domain name. You get something like endure.hostprovider.com. I get neversure.hostprovider.com etc. when I really want neversure.com.

2. If you register your own domain name which is pretty cheap now, all enterprise versions of Windows from at least XP Pro will host one web site. You may have to install IIS (Internet Information Services) which ships with a CD, but you can download from Microsoft. It's not hard and actually worth learning. Your bottleneck will be your upload speed given by your ISP. I have 5kbps up and 30 down so I can do pretty well. Your mileage will vary depending on how much traffic you expect.

There's a learning curve, but just once and not too bad. Free is free so it's worth a look. Upper level name, no ads, and all yours.

IIS

Edit: If you do this, google how to be sure you're registered in DNS servers. Once registered, it will propagate to other DNS servers worldwide.

You also need to see if your ISP will give you a static IP address.

Edited by NeverSure