Chiang Mai International Music Festival 8-10 March 2013 Three Kings Monument

jko

No official web site yet -- some details of this annual happening here aimed mostly at exhibitors.

-Same organisers as the Balloon Festival at Gymkhana last November, which was excellent.

These folks do a very good job in promoting the city, just a pity they do not promote it much earlier so that overeas and down-country tourists can plan a visit to coincide.

Would also be nice if similar events could be organised during May-September to boost arrivals.

Last year's festival was EXCELLENT; even in the unexpected pouring rain. People were rocking out and dancing even in the rain. I was surprised seeing all the Thai girls in the rain until I later realized that every single one of them were actually Korean and Chinese.

I couldn't help but worry that some disaster may happen with respect to the musicians and lack of grounded power lines and so forth. Thank God nothing went wrong.

Thanks for the heads up. Will be sure to make it.

Are they going to bust all the international musicains over work permits and extort money from them to get out of jail, now that is a real Thai experience most musos wouldn't want to miss. Could lead to a great blues balad.

Not much chance of that as the organisers have the full support of the authorities, including TAT, City Hall, Governor's Office and the tourist police. They also link up with a host of influential sponsors.

They expect something like 15,000 people to attend over the three days, plus a lot of media attention. This is the fifth consecutive year, which makes it a major annual event, and a nice boost for tourism & trade.

I reckon it must therefore get a lot of nodding heads from the powers that be.

Are they going to bust all the international musicains over work permits and extort money from them to get out of jail, now that is a real Thai experience most musos wouldn't want to miss. Could lead to a great blues balad.

Not much chance of that as the organisers have the full support of the authorities, including TAT, City Hall, Governor's Office and the tourist police. They also link up with a host of influential sponsors.

They expect something like 15,000 people to attend over the three days, plus a lot of media attention. This is the fifth consecutive year, which makes it a major annual event, and a nice boost for tourism & trade.

15,000 people? I was there last year and from early evening to closing I don't think there were more than 400-500 people.

15,000 people? I was there last year and from early evening to closing I don't think there were more than 400-500 people.

TAT always seem to throw in the extra zero when announcing figures whistling.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard that the venue for the festival has been switched from Three Kings Monument to Tha Phae Gate - same dates, 08-10 March 2013.

This will no doubt swell the crowds and increase visibility due to the huge amount of passing traffic at that location.

I wish them all the best - looks like being a great event.

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned that the organisers are obliged to switch the venue back from Tha Phae Gate, to the original location at Three Kings Monument.

Apparently due to a problem with recalcitrant vendors at Tha Phae Gate?

If so, maybe these selfish people don't realise who is working hard to bring tourists to the city -- for their benefit.

Anyway, the festival web site is now on line with the tentative programme here - and I hope it goes really well for them.

• Like 1