Immigration Hassle

dogpoo

At Immigration today to get a certificate of residence, hand guy my passport and 300 bht, he gives passport back to me and puts the paperwork with money attached on desk, waiting 45mins so I go and ask if they have my certificate, guy says "you give me" "yes" I say, he say " no have" you sure you give me, how much you give me" "300 bht" I say, Guy says " I put on desk" I say "yes" lots if discussion and lots of smiling, guy again says, "I put on desk" I say "yes" guy, " you give me 300 bht" getting boring now but keeping my cool, eventually I get certificate, get back home, check certificate and its wrong, spell my name wrong and age is not correct, back I go, see guy, " can you do again, it's incorrect" looks at me as if to say, yea so! He changes name and age, signs by the side, "this okay to use" I say, guy, "okay" he say, I say, "you can do again as it is incorrect" guy, " you want again that will be 300 bht" don't worry!! I say, Kept my cool all the time, not a very nice man at all!

Sorry if it reads a bit confusing but the whole experience was confusing!

Edited by dogpoo

Only 300 baht, they usually ask 500 baht, even though this service is supposed to be free.

I haven't got a problem handing over the money, just wish they would do there job correctly, how can you lose paperwork in the space of a few minutes!! I still don't understand why he gave me back my passport before I was given the certificate, maybe this man was clueless as to what to do!

Edited by dogpoo

Only 300 baht, they usually ask 500 baht, even though this service is supposed to be free.

Yes, it's supposed to be free. I asked the Phuket Gazette a long time ago what the fee was using their "Issues and Answers" facility. They didn't print it.

This is one rip-off that really bugs me. If I could get the certificate in my hand before paying the money I would. But they are not that stupid.

Having said that - they not being stupid - the last time I went for a certificate, the teenage idiot operating the PC and printer put my landlord's home address on the certificate instead of the house address. So I had to go back when I noticed it at home.

The lady who was processing the certificates started berating the idiot boy operating the PC. Both she and the equally young girl sitting next to the idiot were laughing at him. So I looked at him and said in Thai "Yes, go back to school" which made the two females crease up with laughter.

So I get the new certificate back and ask the older lady to check it, and he has put the wrong district on it again - he didn't change the wrong one. So he has to do another one and print it out again.

All in all a big waste of time, but thankfully made quite enjoyable by all the laughter!

Yes, it's supposed to be free. I asked the Phuket Gazette a long time ago what the fee was using their "Issues and Answers" facility. They didn't print it.

This is one rip-off that really bugs me. If I could get the certificate in my hand before paying the money I would. But they are not that stupid.

Having said that - they not being stupid - the last time I went for a certificate, the teenage idiot operating the PC and printer put my landlord's home address on the certificate instead of the house address. So I had to go back when I noticed it at home.

The lady who was processing the certificates started berating the idiot boy operating the PC. Both she and the equally young girl sitting next to the idiot were laughing at him. So I looked at him and said in Thai "Yes, go back to school" which made the two females crease up with laughter.

So I get the new certificate back and ask the older lady to check it, and he has put the wrong district on it again - he didn't change the wrong one. So he has to do another one and print it out again.

All in all a big waste of time, but thankfully made quite enjoyable by all the laughter!

Apparently so I have even told, if you ask for a receipt regarding the certificate of residence they will obviously say no, if you insist again so I have been told you get it for free!! I don't mind giving them money for this certificate but it would be great if they could get it right!

How long is the certificate of residence valid for? I have been told 1 month!

Yes, at best 1 month. Could be less depending on the mood of a gov official biggrin.png

Not correct, The certificate is officially good for the duration of the visa, extension etc which you have at that moment.

But some places don't accept certificates older then a certain period.

And personally i never encountered the 500 Baht payment as mentioned before but always paid 300 Baht even when it should be for free as we all know. TIT.

The kids mentioned are school girls doing the mandatory work experience program from their school at the immigration.

Yes, at best 1 month. Could be less depending on the mood of a gov official biggrin.png

Not correct, The certificate is officially good for the duration of the visa, extension etc which you have at that moment.

But some places don't accept certificates older then a certain period.

And personally i never encountered the 500 Baht payment as mentioned before but always paid 300 Baht even when it should be for free as we all know. TIT.

The kids mentioned are school girls doing the mandatory work experience program from their school at the immigration.

Correct about the school girls, this is why things are going wrong there!

I normally have to pay 300 B for a the residence paper using to register a bike/car, but it is free for extension of driving license and stuff like that.

I normally have to pay 300 B for a the residence paper using to register a bike/car, but it is free for extension of driving license and stuff like that.

So far i know they don't make a distinction with the Certificate of Residence and it is 300 Baht for all.

Never noticed that some have to pay and others not.

• Like 1

Reference selling a motorbike is a copy of the certificate of residence okay? when buying a bike is a copy of the certificate okay?

Depends of the mood of the person at that day.

Sometimes accepted and sometimes not.

Cheers, hope I don't end up having to go back for another one!!

Few years ago I knew a guy who made a couple of high quality copies of his residence certificate. When he needed another one he just changed the date on his computer with an editting tool.

It worked, he saved a few hundred baht and a long trip to Immigration.

Illegal and cannot possibly be condoned.

Few years ago I knew a guy who made a couple of high quality copies of his residence certificate. When he needed another one he just changed the date on his computer with an editting tool.

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif Don't forget that this is illegal whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Why is it always "a guy I know"? rolleyes.gif

Get a yellow book if possible saves all that trouble

Thats what I thought but last driving licence renewal they wouldn't accept yellow book only to have to go to immigration for a residence cert. Can't say that the yellow book is all that worthwhile considering the hoops you have to jump through to get one.

Merijn hits the nail on the head - It depends on the mood of that person on the day. Sometimes they don't like it when you have all your documents in order.

I paid ฿500.- at Kap Choeng, first time driving license. I was then told that any police station can do it for ฿200.- This I find difficult to believe as the certificate was an official immigration office form...