Dumb Farang Broad.

rene123

It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic. It's sort of like the Thai police. If they were doing their job then there would not be so many problems in Thai traffic.

I agree

I agree

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Forest undergrowth sprouts here like weeds.

Trails that were passable last year are completely blocked now.

You need one of these, as the Forest Service is mostly concerned with harrassing ethnic minorities who have lived in the forests for millenium, and doing dick all to clear trails:

post-23786-0-27738600-1358082247_thumb.j

post-23786-0-91345500-1358082302_thumb.j

You need one of these, as the Forest Service is mostly concerned with harrassing ethnic minorities who have lived in the forests for millenium, and doing dick all to clear trails:

Longer than the national parks existed (which is why they can live there, and you and I can't), but not millennia, and also not longer than local Thai and Muang people.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Seing as we need a comment....read for yourself below.

I think some of the posters might want to reread the article if they did in fact read it. She is just clearing an old trail to make it more passable.

A far cry from making a new trail. If you don't think sio try making a new one.

And the zoo.

Rene, there are other trails up the mountain that don't start from HK road.

Here are some from the Waterfall Coffee shop behind Wat Doi Kham

I've hiked up and down all the trails on Doi Sutthep, but thanks for the information anyway. I don't care for the easier ones. I'm making some of my own and opening up some of the old ones, along with an elderly Canadian friend of mine. For the first time since I started the project I ran into a few Thais hiking on the trails I've improved. Being surrounded my nature with nobody else but butterflies and birds is pretty special when you live so close to a big city. It reminds me of the north shore mountains of west Vancouver where I grew up as a child... only a lot warmer and drier.

So 2 wrongs make a right you are saying....especially in a national park...??

By your reckoning it would be ok for us all to go into a national park and forge our own paths to the top of a mountain, cutting down all in our way.

Wonderful thought process there in this day and age.

mind boggling.

It seems somewhat nonsensical to object to cutting small undergrowth on an established trail, or blazing a new trail IMO.

1) Thais cut huge trees down to a trunk, with no branches. In a year or two, it is a big tree again. This is not Dorset, folks. It's the tropics.

2) Thais burn the <deleted> out of the forest every year to clear undergrowth. A hiker chopping off a few branches is despoiling the environment? I don't think so.

Just my opinion.

And this comment is simply staggering.

• Like 2

Sorry you feel that way, Mr. Humbugged.

Like I said, just my opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

A hiker cutting off a few branches impeding a trail is hardly the Holocaust you seem to making this out to be.....smile.png

Tell that to the national parks people that spend their lives protecting such flora...granted not here so much....but your attitude seems global.

And try not to underscore your words by 'cutting off a few leaves and such'....the OP mentioned blazing her own trails. Cutting a NEW trail through a previously un marked area is just ludicrous.

• Like 1

Why the need to hack so many paths through the forest when there is already plenty ??

I understand your concern, Humbugged, but give me a little credit for common sense. I'm not damaging the forests. When large trees fall down and completely cover old trails it means the trail is no longer useable, or you have to cut a path around it. It is quite obvious that nobody else is opening the old trails.

In areas of steep canyons, like the stream that flows off the mountain, that can mean a lot of work. I don't mind doing the work as a form of exercise and spending time in nature. I also pick up any garbage that I find along the trail. I don't WANT to be carried to the top of the mountain in a vehicle. I prefer nature in the raw.

The road up to the temple on Doi Sutthep is within the national park, and working from your theory, it should be allowed to decay. As has already been pointed out, bamboo and other invasive plants will completely take over if left alone for one season. The upper part of the lower trail, from Huay Kaeow waterfall to where it crosses the road was completely filled in with bamboo and brush. So was the section up the stream from there. The trail goes up to the camping area near the Monthathan waterfalls campground, but it's still pretty rough. If you drive up the paved road, or walk, you have to pay the 200 baht entrance fee. That seems odd, because you can take a vehicle right to the top and not pay anything. And, in dry season you can ride a scooter or trail bike into the same area from behind Huay Thong Tao reservoir. There are all sorts of roads up there. Should they also be allowed to grow in with brush?

I don't want to get into an argument and won't post anything more about it. But, judging from the 6 or 7 Thai hikers I've seen on the part of the trail a friend and I have opened up, it is now getting a bit of use. They weren't there a few months ago. In fact there was no sign of anyone having been up there in a long time.

• Like 2

Just a word of warning about that knife. I have 3 similar and have had to weld on a new handle...and not wood. the tang is just rammed into the handle but the first swipe you take the blade will fly out at speed and could literally kill someone. my first outing i was searching about 10m from my position to retrieve the blade.

I have another that i thought was better, the tang comes right through the handle and is bent over at the top....but after a short while the metal eventually weakens and slips through with the same result; a really dangerous weapon.

my recommendation..get the all in one, steel handle and blade combined, but then wrap a tennis/badminton racket grip around it.....or else the whole lot can go awol again.

I'm going to have to get to know a Thai friend who can make me aware of Thai holidays so I can avoid them. It would also show why you are concerned about the crazy traffic in your area.

If you don't have it yet you can download the 2013 Thaivisa Calendar with all holidays on them. Includes public (government) and observed days such as children's day.

Oh? Does it feature a 'Mod of the month'?

Doesn't have me, a mod of 1964. laugh.png (Lambretta & Vespa mod)thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

the Forest Service is mostly concerned with harrassing ethnic minorities who have lived in the forests for millenium, and doing dick all to clear trails

Absolutely correct, I met the forestry team recently, I thought they were the army until I was advised differently. They were as keen to have a photo with me as I was to have one with a gun wielding soldier.

They were searching the forest for hidden contraband, drugs, illegal activity. They are certainly not going to be clearing overgrown bushes with one rifle between them.

post-150623-0-32077600-1358168439_thumb.

Just a word of warning about that knife. I have 3 similar and have had to weld on a new handle...and not wood. the tang is just rammed into the handle but the first swipe you take the blade will fly out at speed and could literally kill someone. my first outing i was searching about 10m from my position to retrieve the blade.

I have another that i thought was better, the tang comes right through the handle and is bent over at the top....but after a short while the metal eventually weakens and slips through with the same result; a really dangerous weapon.

my recommendation..get the all in one, steel handle and blade combined, but then wrap a tennis/badminton racket grip around it.....or else the whole lot can go awol again.

Thanks for the heads-up, eyecatcher.

When I bought the above, I saw the all-in-one steel ones with the handle integral with the blade.

Think I'll go score one of these, after your advice.

It seems somewhat nonsensical to object to cutting small undergrowth on an established trail, or blazing a new trail IMO.

1) Thais cut huge trees down to a trunk, with no branches. In a year or two, it is a big tree again. This is not Dorset, folks. It's the tropics.

2) Thais burn the <deleted> out of the forest every year to clear undergrowth. A hiker chopping off a few branches is despoiling the environment? I don't think so.

Just my opinion.

And this comment is simply staggering.

Nothing staggering about it. It's simply the truth.smile.png

• Like 1

Sorry you feel that way, Mr. Humbugged.

Like I said, just my opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

A hiker cutting off a few branches impeding a trail is hardly the Holocaust you seem to making this out to be.....smile.png

Tell that to the national parks people that spend their lives protecting such flora...granted not here so much....but your attitude seems global.

And try not to underscore your words by 'cutting off a few leaves and such'....the OP mentioned blazing her own trails. Cutting a NEW trail through a previously un marked area is just ludicrous.

Commonly called Trail Blazing, you know "Going where no man has gone before". My favorite was always cutting switchbacks.....why walk the long way when the shortcut is faster! Then I reached the ultimate eye opening realization, only see the sights that can be reached in a motorhome...... I won't mention that in Nevada we measure distance by the amount of beer you consume on a journey, Reno= 1 Twelve Pack from Vegas.

As for those dedicated professional Park Rangers you talk about, most are high school science teachers with a summer job to earn some cash, nothing to do about saving the planet, that's Greenpeace and the Sierra Club.

Edited by Diablo Bob
  • Like 1