7 Year Itch

N47HAN

Seems around this time I see people consider or actually do move away from Phuket , either back to farangland or other parts of SE Asia.

This year allready 3 people ive known for the time they've been here ( all of them around 7 years ) are leaving for pastures new , 2 to Chiangmai ( both leaving to re-locate there buisinesses ) and the other to the boonies for a more relaxed lifestyle.

Anyone else see a trend like this , ( apart from the usual off the plane great ideas and plenty of cash to spend untill it runs out and they go back home )

Just curious ,

Edited by N47HAN

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see a trend with long stay folks having a hard time raising the money to stay here on our 'paradise' island. Reasons - poor exchange rate and fixed income, or poor returns on investments, etc. So they move on to what is reputed to be a cheaper area for living. Just my 1 cents worth laugh.png

• Like 2

The trend I see emerging is long term expats being seriously injured in road accidents. Those that that die go home in the belly of the plane. Those that live...are wiped out financially...but at least they fly home in economy class.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

One friend has moved to Chiang Mai. Two friends have moved to Pattaya. One friend moved to Vietnam and I currently have one friend contemplating a move to Issan.

None of them are wealthy, but they are not struggling financially by any means, although they have all told me, seperately, that they do have more disposable income because their chosen place to live is cheaper, but that's not surprising.

Two of the five were business owners here, with one of them currently in negotiations to buy a similar business in Pattaya.

The range of them living on Phuket was from 4 years to 11 years.

You mention the Phuket 7 year itch - it would be an interesting statisic to know the median years of living on Phuket from those who have moved away, regardless of their reasons for moving.

PS - living in Thailand, you really should be more concerned about the "7 day itch" rather than the "7 year itch." :) :) :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

One friend has moved to Chiang Mai. Two friends have moved to Pattaya. One friend moved to Vietnam and I currently have one friend contemplating a move to Issan.

None of them are wealthy, but they are not struggling financially by any means, although they have all told me, seperately, that they do have more disposable income because their chosen place to live is cheaper, but that's not surprising.

Two of the five were business owners here, with one of them currently in negotiations to buy a similar business in Pattaya.

You mention the Phuket 7 year itch - it would be an interesting statisic to know the median years of living on Phuket from those who have moved away, regardless of their reasons for moving.

PS - living in Thailand, you really should be more concerned about the "7 day itch" rather than the "7 year itch." smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

2 to Pattaya, well good luck to them in that shytehole. 1 to CM, boredom city. 1 to Vietnam, enjoy the taxi rip offs and nastiest people in SE Asia. Isaarn? what are they going to do? Drive tractors and pick rice? Wow sounds like fun. Im pretty sure its about cheapness and nothing else

Ahhhh, I don't think you can judge someone's financial net worth by where they chose to live.

For example, the richest man in the world lives in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

Has it occurred to you that my friends may have "downgrade" to "upgrade?" :) :) They have told me they wished they had moved earlier.

PS - living in Thailand, you really should be more concerned about the "7 day itch" rather than the "7 year itch." smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

2 to Pattaya, well good luck to them in that shytehole. 1 to CM, boredom city. 1 to Vietnam, enjoy the taxi rip offs and nastiest people in SE Asia. Isaarn? what are they going to do? Drive tractors and pick rice? Wow sounds like fun. Im pretty sure its about cheapness and nothing else

Ahhhh, I don't think you can judge someone's financial net worth by where they chose to live.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Carlos_Slim

Has it occurred to you that my friends may have "downgrade" to "upgrade?" smile.pngsmile.png They have told me they wished they had moved earlier.

The richest man in the world obviously has different needs than others, I guess he likes ugly women, cocaine and the capital city with the worlds highest murder rate. Not where I would choose to settle down

Has it occurred to you that my friends may have "downgrade" to "upgrade?" smile.pngsmile.png They have told me they wished they had moved earlier.

The richest man in the world obviously has different needs than others, I guess he likes ugly women, cocaine and the capital city with the worlds highest murder rate. Not where I would choose to settle down

Ugly women is a stretch. I love latino women.

• Like 1

hes mexican.... so why not live in Mexico

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see a trend with long stay folks having a hard time raising the money to stay here on our 'paradise' island. Reasons - poor exchange rate and fixed income, or poor returns on investments, etc. So they move on to what is reputed to be a cheaper area for living. Just my 1 cents worth laugh.png

I am considering getting out of Phuket - nothing to do with money, just fed up to the back teeth with the "mafias" (i.e. bunches of thugs who don't understand the concept of competition and want to be the same as the big boys in Bangkok playing monopoly), the pathetic infrastructure (roads, traffic, water, electric, etc), the corrupt police and the useless governor who needs to grow a pair and get the <deleted>' army in to sort out the shit here.

Ah! That's better.

Yep you did it for me do....arrrrrrrhhhhhh

I've been in the same house in Rawai for almost seven years and in Phuket for eight. It's not nearly as nice as it was. I have been thinking a lot about moving. I still have a home in California very near the coast, in a pretty nice area. My wife and I are planning to go there this year for an extended stay. The infrastructure is vastly superior to the crap roads and utilities here. I will hang on to my house here though. There are some things that I still like, but not much in high season... We are planning to build a house out in Sa Kaeo. Her parents have given us our choice land to build on. But I also want to look for a house in another beach area of Thailand that hasn't been quite as raped and pillaged as Phuket has. I think it will be quite a while until Burma has any infrastructure to support my lifestyle, but they have a great coastline it seems.

I've been in the same house in Rawai for almost seven years, too. I agree, It's not nearly as nice as it was, mainly because of the traffic.

I already "moved away" twice now, the first time shipping all my stuff overseas, thinking I won't come back to live here again, but I keep coming back.

I too have lived in Rawai nearly seven years first 2 renting then buying a house. I am looking at moving somewhere a bit quieter. I bought the house 5 years ago had one neighbour now all around are new condos sprouting up and the orbator still has not put in a proper road. I doubt if there has been a single day when I have not heard building work tile cutting or alike so my peaceful bit of luxury in Paradise has certainly not been what I envisaged. I do not want to go to Issan as I need to be near the sea and shops like Villa Mart. I am lucky as I still work in SE Asia month on month off otherwise I would have moved before now. Roll on the low season as Rawai does get that bit quieter then. Phuket I feel still has a lot to offer away from the Patong Bucket and Spade nonesense but as with others I certainly agree its not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Edited by McFarang

I too have lived in Rawai nearly seven years first 2 renting then buying a house. I am looking at moving somewhere a bit quieter. I bought the house 5 years ago had one neighbour now all around are new condos sprouting up and the orbator still has not put in a proper road. I doubt if there has been a single day when I have not heard building work tile cutting or alike so my peaceful bit of luxury in Paradise has certainly not been what I envisaged. I do not want to go to Issan as I need to be near the sea and shops like Villa Mart. I am lucky as I still work in SE Asia month on month off otherwise I would have moved before now. Roll on the low season as Rawai does get that bit quieter then. Phuket I feel still has a lot to offer away from the Patong Bucket and Spade nonesense but as with others I certainly agree its not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Good luck selling the house, Rawaii has more houses for sale than are occupied.

I am considering getting out of Phuket - nothing to do with money, just fed up to the back teeth with the "mafias" (i.e. bunches of thugs who don't understand the concept of competition and want to be the same as the big boys in Bangkok playing monopoly), the pathetic infrastructure (roads, traffic, water, electric, etc), the corrupt police and the useless governor who needs to grow a pair and get the <deleted>' army in to sort out the shit here.

Ah! That's better.

thats the way...thumbsup.gif

Ah! That's better.

I left about six months ago for the same reasons. For me road rage was a problem. Both mine and theirs.

• Like 1

I had not really though about it but it was 7 years on Phuket that I knew I had enough and started planning my move

I spent 2 years in Bang Tao then moved down to Rawai 5 1/2 years ago.

They used to call Rawai "Gods waiting room" when I first moved there.It's just a little bit different now.

I have found a really nice place, a nearly deserted beach with a few bars a restaurants and enough farang to not be boring.How long it will stay this way I dont know.

One other friend has already moved here and there is a queue of mates waiting to come over to have a look as they have all had enough of Phuket

This was Christmas Day on the beach

post-18849-0-17215700-1358228300_thumb.jpost-18849-0-24742400-1358228594_thumb.j

• Like 1

I left about six months ago for the same reasons. For me road rage was a problem. Both mine and theirs.

That's a very good point. It's time to change ones life when you start adapting bad behavior from people around you.

I once quit my job when I noted I was so stressed that I got angry for the people who were late from meeting for 2 minutes.. 6 moths backpacking was a cure at that time.

It's interesting that in previous threads a lot of members have stated they are not effected by the tuk-tuks and lack of transport here, BUT, one of their main complaints about Phuket is the traffic, to the point of contemplating moving.

Am I the only one that sees a direct correlation between the lack of public transport, and over priced tuk-tuks here, which results in just about everyone owning or renting a vehicle on Phuket????

Surely, if the traffic here is detracting from your enjoyment of the island, it all goes back to the transport issue here, therefore, the tuk-tuks DO have a big impact on you.

Good luck selling the house, Rawaii has more houses for sale than are occupied.

I am not going to sell the house that is your assumption its a 5 bed with pool & sea views can get 140,000 Thb a month long term rental have had more during high season when I moved once before and stayed in Bangsaray south of Pattaya for about a year. Alas that was a bad move Pattaya is the pits and Phuket I find offers more. No need to sell although many are wanting or looking at leaving Phuket there are many more coming and wanting to stay which for Villa owners who do not want to sell is a good thing.

@ McFarang, Even better luck with renting at that price. Who has that sort of disposable income to spend on a holiday house? Or who would want to spend that sort of money to live permanently in Rawaii? Your talking New York prices in the cheapest part of Phuket. I reckon it will still have a for rent sign on it in 5 years. Feel free to prove me wrong. Let me know where you list it and keep us updated. The average disposable income in Rawaii for farangs would sit between 30,000 baht a month and 60,000 for the more affluent

irish ivan seems you know everything ..how long have u lived n the island? just for interest and to prove to you that yes u can get very good money on rentals...i rented out a 5 bed 4 bath house for three years , had a 14 metre pool all the mod cons , with no seaview ..in Rawai ..for 110,000 per month it was empty for two months in three years ....and every contract was min 6 months ... good properties get good money ....

• Like 1

irish ivan seems you know everything ..how long have u lived n the island? just for interest and to prove to you that yes u can get very good money on rentals...i rented out a 5 bed 4 bath house for three years , had a 14 metre pool all the mod cons , with no seaview ..in Rawai ..for 110,000 per month it was empty for two months in three years ....and every contract was min 6 months ... good properties get good money ....

I do not doubt the facts and figures you quote, many have made a few quid from property here in the past, however, those days have passed. The "market" and the property supply and demand is changing very fast on Phuket, and in the future, you may have trouble selling/renting anything here.

Like anywhere else, Phuket has it's "boom to bust cycle" and, in my opinion, there will be a few left "holding the can" here in the next couple of years, especially as "owners" are sitting on a diminishing 30 year land lease with the great unknown of what will happen at the end of the 30 years. Put simply, the Phuket property bubble must burst one day, if it hasn't already.

This is off topic, and been discussed in many previous threads, but, I would suggest, some of your potential purchasers/tenants are also looking away from Phuket, thus making property turnover/leasing more difficult as they seek better value for money property in different locations in Thailand.

Edited by NamKangMan