Quick Question About My Half Thao Son's Uk Passport

mattk1

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already but I just wanted to confirm from someone who has done it before.

Ok so my 6 month old son has just received his UK passport and we booked some flights today. Am I right that we don't need to do anything else for him before our trip such as any special visa? As he is classed as a British citizen he is basically in the same boat as me once we arrive in England, right?

Thanks a lot for your help smile.png

Edit: Oops just noticed the spelling error in the title but can't seem to edit it tongue.png

Edited by mattk1
  • Like 1

He needs a Thai passport to return to Thailand, or will be considered a UK national for immigraiton purposes, requiring a visa and extensions of stay.

With Thai and UK passport he doesn't need a visa for either country, as he has the nationality of both countries. Both countries allow this.

I know not the exact answer your looking for but make sure you always travel with both passports and remember to keep both current. One time on my daughter Thai passport who was 8 years old at the time left Thailand on a trip and returned on it. We the tried to leave again on her British one as Thai one had ran out, the immigration rightly would not allow us to do this. We had to delay our journey to re apply and collect a new Thai passport before we traveled.

They always base the passport need on leaving and entry on the passport you used last time. With both passports for kids with only 5 years on easy to get caught out

Wow good job I asked this question on here as I had not even gave a thought to the return journey!

I will get straight on the case with applying for a Thai passport for him as well. Thank you so much for pointing out this potentially disastrous oversight! thumbsup.gif

To Blackandwhite; thanks for the warning, I am grateful to learn all this now while we still have plenty if time before our travels begin..smile.png

Best regards,

Matt

Wow good job I asked this question on here as I had not even gave a thought to the return journey!

I will get straight on the case with applying for a Thai passport for him as well. Thank you so much for pointing out this potentially disastrous oversight! thumbsup.gif

To Blackandwhite; thanks for the warning, I am grateful to learn all this now while we still have plenty if time before our travels begin..smile.png

Best regards,

Matt

No problemo took lots of stress to sort, wife was in Thailand with daughter I was in the Uk, British Embassy would not help, had to cancel flights and it was a tense few days

• Like 1

I know not the exact answer your looking for but make sure you always travel with both passports and remember to keep both current. One time on my daughter Thai passport who was 8 years old at the time left Thailand on a trip and returned on it. We the tried to leave again on her British one as Thai one had ran out, the immigration rightly would not allow us to do this. We had to delay our journey to re apply and collect a new Thai passport before we traveled.

They always base the passport need on leaving and entry on the passport you used last time. With both passports for kids with only 5 years on easy to get caught out

I highlighted the "rightly" in your post because I take issue with it. I totally accept that is their practice but there is no "rightly" about it, the British Embassy took up a similar case a while back. Nor do I know of another nation that applies such a procedure. No wonder that so many Thai's holding dual nationality leave their Thai passport at home.

"They always base the passport need on leaving and entry on the passport you used last time.

Yes of course. So that's why you get a new passport and leave the country on it and they are none the wiser because it doesn't have an entry stamp.

Edited by roamer

No wonder that so many Thai's holding dual nationality leave their Thai passport at home.
Is that so? So they are as Thai nationalities entering Thailand visa exempt for 30 days? Sounds like a pain to me.

I highlighted the "rightly" in your post because I take issue with it. I totally accept that is their practice but there is no "rightly" about it, the British Embassy took up a similar case a while back. Nor do I know of another nation that applies such a procedure. No wonder that so many Thai's holding dual nationality leave their Thai passport at home.

"They always base the passport need on leaving and entry on the passport you used last time.

Yes of course. So that's why you get a new passport and leave the country on it and they are none the wiser because it doesn't have an entry stamp.

Oh, don't worry you carry on. Not looking for a debate with you only looking to answer a question for the OP