I Have A Job... I Should Be Happy, But...

pxlgirl

What was scary to me is mainly the visa issue, as the non-b type is pretty much tied to my work permit. In case I quit, my visa is cut (after the one month notice period) expires and I'd be enjoying some 3-months cycles to Thai embassies, and in case I find a new job, I'll have to go through the whole non-b/wp application all over again. It was already quite costly to get it all done, as I have ended up paying all by myself, including the work permit. I don't know if you can get my dilema, on one hand I wanna get the hell out of there and find something new, yet on the other side I spent so much money on this all and if I just quit it will just go down the toilet. Maybe it's irrational and I still have no clue if there's some sort of transition possible (in case I'm lucky to find a job while my visa is valid) so I can keep the current visa/wp.

@utalkin2me: The emotional part you mentioned is not always the "I-love-my-job" thing, at least not for me, as I tried to explain above. You can love your job as much as you want, but love doesn't feed your mouth and bring food on the table. wink.png I knew from the start that this job would not be something I'd do forever, but I hoped I would be able to do it long enough just to start from there, have time to network and find more opportunities, while not needing to worry about at least my very basic needs for living.

Someone else threw in the argument that supposedly 99% of people aren't happy with their jobs, so does that mean I have to give up and just accept my fate of being one of them, complain and biatch how fscked up life is and all? Have those 99% ever wondered why they aren't happy and if there are any options to change their situation? It's basically up to them how they deal with their sh*t, just like it's up to me how I deal with mine. Ironic how some suggest a such victim mentality that Thais have been so widely criticized about.

Edited by pxlgirl

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep track of your OT if you're not management, and if you get fired, you can go to the labor department and they will help you collect.

Sorry, I don't quite get this, what do you mean by labour department? It's not the ministry if labor, is it? And how could they help me anyway? If you mean the HR, things are a bit complicated, since work in an institute that is within an academic facility.

The labour act is enforceable irrespective where you work, and the DOL, (department of labour) enforces those rules and are very pro-employee, if you are working overtime typically you should be getting paid for this in most instances.

Also read "MiG16's" post this is spot on info and it appears your employer is in contravention of the Thai labour law, therefore you have a case

this too has been my experience.

As for the OP, if you are any good, start getting active on freelance websites etc, you can do ALOT better than you are currently doing

Communications designer or secretary/clerk that is the question. I have to ask what was the position advertised as initially, ie both parts and which part were you not able to do. You were able to do only the communication design/creative part as you said although I have some difficulty understanding what this would entail in a Thai University Faculty, at 30k baht per month. Can you speak, read and write Thai? I know that sometimes there is a discrepancy between what people have been employed to do and what they think they have been employed to do. We are only getting your side of this story, as a HR person with much experience albeit in a different culture I would love to hear the other side. Often the truth and a solution can only come out when both sides sit down and the issues are mediated. In this country that probably doesn't happen. As this developed I would feel some sympathy for you, and some aspects of your complaint would probably be justified but an almost irretrievable breakdown has already occurred and most people woule be better off moving on. By staying you will most probably only entrench the antipathy towards you until they can find an excuse to sack you.

• Like 2

I had a friend and co-worker who had some similar problems to yours. One of her big problems was her commute. She had to travel by bus for almost 2 hours each way! She felt comfortable in the Khao San Road area, where there were many other foreigners to hang out with and talk too, but our office was way out near the airport. She had lots of health problems and eventually gave up and went back to her country. I'm convinced that the stress of her daily commute contributed to her health problems.

Unless you are locked into your current living location, look for an apartment that is close to work. Being a short walk or bus ride from your office can not only allow you to be more punctual, but will give you more personal time and relieve some of the stress in your life.

If your hours are supposed to be 9 to 5, then work from 9 or earlier to 5 or later, not 8 to 4, not 10 to 6. Also, being at work at 9 should mean having arrived, had a cup or coffee or tea, said hello to your co-workers and warmed up your computer BEFORE 9, so that you are actually working at 9.

Finally, I would start looking for another job if I were you. Once you are off on the wrong foot with your manager and co-workers, it's almost impossible to get their good opinion back.

There are just a few simple rules to surviving in a Thai work environment:

1. Don't be sick or late for the first 2 or 3 months.

2. Be cheerful, don't start the non-stop complaining that is so beloved of foreigners in Thailand until after you have established a good first impression.

3. Dress conservatively, unless they want you to join in a skit or some other silly nonsense.

That's pretty much it. Things like job performance and competence are pretty much secondary. Being successful in Thailand is mainly about appearance, not ability.

Some great advice here. I once had a 'great' job for the training department of a 5-star hotel on the Chao Phraya. I lived in Bang Kapi. On a Friday it took me 4 hours to get home(pre BTS), At least one hour to get up Silom road. I had to leave my apartment at 4 am to get there on time and during the week got home at about 7pm. I only got 20,000 baht a month but at the time I thought it was good. Looking back, it did help me get better jobs. Now, I get to my work in 8-15 minutes, depending on traffic. Work for 3 hours then home in 10 minutes and get double the amount. And I still complain that I don't have enough time!

My advice is to stick it out and keep looking for better jobs - they will come.

I had a friend and co-worker who had some similar problems to yours. One of her big problems was her commute. She had to travel by bus for almost 2 hours each way! She felt comfortable in the Khao San Road area, where there were many other foreigners to hang out with and talk too, but our office was way out near the airport. She had lots of health problems and eventually gave up and went back to her country. I'm convinced that the stress of her daily commute contributed to her health problems.

Unless you are locked into your current living location, look for an apartment that is close to work. Being a short walk or bus ride from your office can not only allow you to be more punctual, but will give you more personal time and relieve some of the stress in your life.

If your hours are supposed to be 9 to 5, then work from 9 or earlier to 5 or later, not 8 to 4, not 10 to 6. Also, being at work at 9 should mean having arrived, had a cup or coffee or tea, said hello to your co-workers and warmed up your computer BEFORE 9, so that you are actually working at 9.

Finally, I would start looking for another job if I were you. Once you are off on the wrong foot with your manager and co-workers, it's almost impossible to get their good opinion back.

2. Be cheerful, don't start the non-stop complaining that is so beloved of foreigners in Thailand until after you have established a good first impression.

3. Dress conservatively, unless they want you to join in a skit or some other silly nonsense.

That's pretty much it. Things like job performance and competence are pretty much secondary. Being successful in Thailand is mainly about appearance, not ability.

Some great advice here. I once had a 'great' job for the training department of a 5-star hotel on the Chao Phraya. I lived in Bang Kapi. On a Friday it took me 4 hours to get home(pre BTS), At least one hour to get up Silom road. I had to leave my apartment at 4 am to get there on time and during the week got home at about 7pm. I only got 20,000 baht a month but at the time I thought it was good. Looking back, it did help me get better jobs. Now, I get to my work in 8-15 minutes, depending on traffic. Work for 3 hours then home in 10 minutes and get double the amount. And I still complain that I don't have enough time!

Different people have different thoughts, but one thing I'll add is that a seat on the bts is golden. IF you have a seat vs no seat it is night and day. And, in my estimation, people are too caught up in all this bs about giving their seat up. That is their prerogative, but a seat (not given up) is just golden... it turns a 30 minute commute into minimal stress imo.

Different people have different thoughts, but one thing I'll add is that a seat on the bts is golden. IF you have a seat vs no seat it is night and day. And, in my estimation, people are too caught up in all this bs about giving their seat up. That is their prerogative, but a seat (not given up) is just golden... it turns a 30 minute commute into minimal stress imo.

golden is a 10 minute walk to work, or working from home

Just do clarify about the working times, there are no "special" arrangements in a sense that I can come and go as I'm pleased. My normal days are usually 9 - 5, if it gets later due to traffic (which is never more than 15 min), I add the time so I can keep my 8h of working time, which is the normal amount of hours for a full time job. If I manage to come earlier, lets say 8, then I'd stay till 4. Sometimes I stay longer so I can finish something to be able to move on to another task for the next day. Moving "closer" isn't a good idea, since the job isn't secure enough for me, besides I'm living with my partner and I also need assistance with a few health related issues. Some more background info: I'm the only designer there, my work isn't connected in any way to my co-workers as they organize and schedule all the courses etc. I have no one to work with, I'm doing my stuff pretty much on my own. My co-workers however would stay in office often up till 9pm, their overtime is being unpaid. Yet even with my normal working schedule, co-workers would be a bit surprised that I won't stay so long (which I wouldn't even if I lived close). I never had any trouble in my previous job, but I wasn't able to stay there because the salary was a bit too low to be able to pay my bills and put enough food on the table. Apart from all, I get all my tasks done on time, results are as good as they can be, as the existing design bases aren't exactly professional, but people just stick to their stuff, even when it's sh*tty. wink.png

if your work hours are 9-5 you are expected to be there by 9 and to go home at 5.......just like there expected to pay you and give you what benifits you agree upon.......

The dude can really dig that working in Thailand for such a paltry wage with lousy benefits and conditions to boot must be a real bummer and a downer. A better job would be an upper if you can dig. The dude advises seeking it out

Have you really written 660 posts and your caption all in that style? Wasn't it tiresome?

• Like 1

Before it drifts away, back to topic... I was also thinking about freelancing, but that seems to be impossible in Thailand (wp+visa), is that correct? I heard that the only way to start a company is to be co-owned by a Thai national, hiring at least 5 Thai employees. So there would be now way for me to work just on my own it seems...

Before it drifts away, back to topic... I was also thinking about freelancing, but that seems to be impossible in Thailand (wp+visa), is that correct? I heard that the only way to start a company is to be co-owned by a Thai national, hiring at least 5 Thai employees. So there would be now way for me to work just on my own it seems...

Just get a ED visa and don't tell anyone if working over the internet. Otherwise pay 80K for a Board of Investment certified company which has no restrictions.

... and with this investment, what kind of visa status do I have?

Non-Immigrant B, like you have now I suppose. But you also can skip the passport lane at the airport and you don't pay any tax for 7 years. I also think it's much easier to renew Visa.

Non-Immigrant B, like you have now I suppose. But you also can skip the passport lane at the airport and you don't pay any tax for 7 years. I also think it's much easier to renew Visa.

Are you sure about the no tax for 7 years?

I'm on a BOI visa and I pay tax at a flat rate of 15% per month.

I believe it stays at that rate for the first 5 years.

Another thing is BOI visa is a 2-year visa.

Are you sure about the no tax for 7 years?

I'm on a BOI visa and I pay tax at a flat rate of 15% per month.

I believe it stays at that rate for the first 5 years.

Another thing is BOI visa is a 2-year visa.

I am more curious to know how getting a BOI allows you to skip the passport lane at the airport ?...

why impossible? i know many who do it.

anyways why not look into it as a way to supplement you current income, perhaps spend time seeing what works for you. here are a few freelance sites.

you will spend some time competing with some low wage wotrkers until you build up a client base, but from the sounds of things, you are not exactly raking it in now

guru.com

freelance.com

peoplperhour.com

elance.com

simplyhired.com

With the skills you claim to have why don't you go for the big agencies which would give you lots (more?) high level / high profile / high impact / high challenge experiences, these agencies pay big money and you would meet the right people to network with for the future:

- International or Thai PR companies

- International or Thai advertising agencies