Bt50M Insurance Fund To Be Set Up To Aid Foreign Tourists In Distress

webfact

Most of the road accidents involving tourists are due to tourists renting motor bikes without a motorbike licence and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in tourist resorts. Stiff fines with jail sentences for repeat offenders for riders without a Thai motorbike driving licence and the motorbike rental shops that rent to them would reduce the problem at a stroke. Not that Thai driving tests are meaningful but most tourists would not bother to rent a bike, if they had to get a Thai licence first. I believe they have had regulations like this in Bali that are enforced for decades and the motorbike licensing centre shows graphic photographs motorcyclist road kill as a warning.

Of course there is too much income generated by this dangerous illegal practice for that to happen. Much easier just to promise Bt 50 million of taxpayers' money, most of which will be stolen, if it is ever in fact disbursed. The foreign donations for tsunami victims were nearly all stolen by the police and no action has ever been taken.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking with a massage shop lady on Samui last night. She has only none person working with her and has to pay the police Bht2000 every month, i wonder how much the ones with bigger staff have to pay. Surely this is criminal extortion. So why does any government allow it. This is so blatant !

"Tallking"? wink.png

It's the same in many Aisian countries. The police are paid a very low salary and expected to "make it up" themselves. Inevitably this leads to extortion and greed; and those who should be upholding and enforcing the law use it for personal gain. Add systemic corruption to this and you've got the type of police force no one wants but that can be found in so many countries.

Thailand is like the alcoholic who says, "Yep, I got a problem ... but it's not really my fault ... and I've been managing it pretty well." It will take another generation before the Thai economy falters under the competition of the ASEAN community and change is forced on Thailand.

Add a 1 baht charge to every tourist who enters Thailand for a medical fund.

That won't go very far, I'm sure no one will object to paying 100 Baht, except it will probably mean some tea money for the airport workers.

Don't responsible tourists have travel insurance. Far better to crack down on spivs and touts; that will lower premiums and improve image.

thumbsup.gif

Good idea and hope it works.

February 1 is soon...

So is April 1.

Call me cynical, but nothing is going to change. Just more hot air posturing.

I came here in 1966, and the same thing has been said every year, but nothing has been done. To many people on the take. [sSDD] Same Sh-- Different Day. ph34r.png

• Like 1

We all know what this means:

1. We are making clear to the world that we are taking appropriate measures to ensure safety and the wellbeing of all tourist through a 50 Mio fund, so that even needy tourists can get assistance. We are eradicating all these crooks which cheat tourists. So please visit our wonderful and safe country.

2. Two or three examples of helped tourist will be widely publicised around the world, the other 48 Mio are going straight into the pockets of some red shirts.

3. Nothing but nothing at all is going to change. Thailand's touristy places are full of these con artists since the first time I came here, so 30 years, and nothing ever has happened though the police know exactly who is doing what. Why should something change? Why destroy a little and nice non-taxable income of all of them? Everbody knows that we all do our best and have even a fund for assistance. Policemen are not silly!

Continue to dream....

"Police and other authorities would enforce laws against tourist swindlers, whose unscrupulous activities had long tainted Thailand's image, he said"

Aren't the cops "tourist swindlers?". And which image, the accessibility of cheap sex?

What's Thailand and massages best known for. Aeehh tablets and high speed papaya-salad makers with tainted windows.

Edited by lostinisaan

Most of the road accidents involving tourists are due to tourists renting motor bikes without a motorbike licence and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in tourist resorts. Stiff fines with jail sentences for repeat offenders for riders without a Thai motorbike driving licence and the motorbike rental shops that rent to them would reduce the problem at a stroke. Not that Thai driving tests are meaningful but most tourists would not bother to rent a bike, if they had to get a Thai licence first. I believe they have had regulations like this in Bali that are enforced for decades and the motorbike licensing centre shows graphic photographs motorcyclist road kill as a warning.

Of course there is too much income generated by this dangerous illegal practice for that to happen. Much easier just to promise Bt 50 million of taxpayers' money, most of which will be stolen, if it is ever in fact disbursed. The foreign donations for tsunami victims were nearly all stolen by the police and no action has ever been taken.

"Most of the road accidents involving tourists are due to tourists renting motor bikes without a motorbike licence and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in tourist resorts"

"Most of the road accidents involving Thais are due to Thais riding motorbikes without a pilot's license and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in other provinces." w00t.gif

I was talking with a massage shop lady on Samui last night. She has only none person working with her and has to pay the police Bht2000 every month, i wonder how much the ones with bigger staff have to pay. Surely this is criminal extortion. So why does any government allow it. This is so blatant !

Did she say if she had a problem would the police help her or send some one around that could???

Police and other authorities would enforce laws against tourist swindlers, whose unscrupulous activities had long tainted Thailand's image, he said.

Because such crimes fell within the scope of public fraud, AMLO could seize their assets.

What about the vast legion of Thai swindlers? Their assets? Oh right, tea money makes these local swindlers an asset to the local economy.

Just like China with their international donations. This is another way of disposing public tax payers money to people who collect Tee Money and commissions in Thailand in helping Tourist. - WIN the confidence with tourist by following the law. Begin with the police who collect money from foreign drivers in Bangkok, where all the signs are in Thai. MBK intersection where you cannot take a left onto sukhumvit going to Asok.... there is no international sign.... but there are a dozen of police like hawks waiting for someone to take this turn to cash in. Check it out. Pattaya police checks, where they hassle tourist on their licenses..... Put the law to be applicable to both the thai and the tourist and win back the confidence of tourist. The police in scores in BKK embrassing foreigners in a bar and talking pigeon English does not sort out problems. It is the ethics and dignity of the force that should stand out. Not the type of thuggery that exists... works well with Thais...but not with foreigners. or International visitors.

Did she say if she had a problem would the police help her or send some one around that could???

Why? She seems to be self employed, none person working for her......

"Most of the road accidents involving tourists are due to tourists renting motor bikes without a motorbike licence and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in tourist resorts"

"Most of the road accidents involving Thais are due to Thais riding motorbikes without a pilot's license and little or no experience of motorbike driving or of road conditions in other provinces." w00t.gif

Well...I pardon your ignorance. Do you know what it costs to get a license in Europe? Do you know what it involves for that type of money, the discipline, the knowledge and responsibility? Not like in Thailand 30 mins to read a book, Multiple choice on a computer that concentrates on parking. Then a practical of reflex by holding brakes when a red light pops up on a computer screen and matching two pencils at the same level for distance judgement....and Voila... your Thai license. Signs, lines and markings on the road are simply decorations for no one?????? yes.... I guess the tourist does not know how to ride a bike...because he is used to all those signs and lights and markings that the THAI riders and driver dont care a dam_n for! Yes tourist cannot wiggle their fat ass like the thais between cars or sway like a thai...but they do know what it is to follow the rules.

Will it cover the jetski scams the authorities somehow seem powerless to prevent?

which would be used to help foreigners injured or killed in accidents while visiting here.

So how is the fund to be used to help dead people?

I suppose to convienently pay of the those who have a story and to passify those without one.

Check out Pattaya.... what people who own businesses in walking street and on second road have to pay the police.! had couple of my friends buy into a business and close because of this harrasment. I hope some films surface on you tube of this sort of thuggery.

I think that the horse has allready bolted as far as Thailands image goes, just back from Chiang Mai its the quietest that Ive seen it this time of the year for many years,it must be hurting many businesses.

It sure has.... you see it in Pattaya.... Jetski services..... sucks. No one trusts those who want to honestly run such a business.

Taxi services dwindling... people prefer taking the bus to the airport.( Even though it says NO TALKING... only SHORT TIME) Ha ha.

Restaurants empty... 7Eleven more reliable on prices and service. The Russians love it! Perhaps CP should consider putting up a small aircondition section for foreigners to consume food as a niche business opportunity.

Money alone doesn't restore? confidence in law enforcement.

What does is the attitude of NK police as this morning, i needed them to intervene in a drunk whom is disturbing our neighborhood for a couple of years,and who's actions became dangerous to my family.

I went, spoke, and 15 minutes later 2 officers arrived to solve the matter with the neighbor.

Even in the event he re offends, it makes no difference, i was noticed at the police station and they took the matter serious.

Isn't JUST THAT, what we all want.

NongKhai police....Good job, well done!!

making thais pass actual driving tests would be a great start, pulling a couple of pieces of string and being able to distinguish between red, green and yellow does not give them any driving skills. Knowing road rules would also go a long way to saving lives as well as police actually patrolling the roads but that would mean that they wouldnt have time to collect their bonuses from the "shops".

Well Said!!! I think Thailand should introduce a better driving License system. The present one only contributes to chaos on the road. Chaos because the road markings are International and hence does not mean a thing for the Thai riders. Hazard lights used for going straight instead of meaning "Danger" Blinking red light???? Blinking Orange more applicable. RED means STOP. otherwise you might as well use a blinking green light... if it means you can still go.

Money alone doesn't restore? confidence in law enforcement.

What does is the attitude of NK police as this morning, i needed them to intervene in a drunk whom is disturbing our neighborhood for a couple of years,and who's actions became dangerous to my family.

I went, spoke, and 15 minutes later 2 officers arrived to solve the matter with the neighbor.

Even in the event he re offends, it makes no difference, i was noticed at the police station and they took the matter serious.

Isn't JUST THAT, what we all want.

NongKhai police....Good job, well done!!

They seriously spoke with the drunk! be it a Farang he would have wound up in the police station. I would not go to the police for such matters. I do not trust them... infact doing so would put your family in more danger, because they would quote you as being the one who reported the matter. BE CAREFUL and VIGILANT in these matters... POLICE does not mean POLICE as in some countries. Use your rational and if need be change your location. AVOID any rash decisions with these people! There is no common ground for any terms. Words known to us that are used are not the terms that we know which are bound by laws known to us.

Add a 1 baht charge to every tourist who enters Thailand for a medical fund.

That won't go very far, I'm sure no one will object to paying 100 Baht, except it will probably mean some tea money for the airport workers.

Don't responsible tourists have travel insurance. Far better to crack down on spivs and touts; that will lower premiums and improve image.

Yes, but will insurance companies cover you for riding a motorbike? I don't think so.

I would suggest that some of the public laws be introduced as a course in the education system. Perhaps revealing to people their civic rights, the process in which they can lodge a complaint or even take action. "CIVICS" is it taught in Thailand? Is it possible to buy a book on the laws in Thailand? In Germany we have 3 law books - the state laws are taught in school and every child knows his rights to some extent.

I do not mean with her bussiness I mean with anything.

Wow thats great !!! billions in revenue from tourists 23000000 last year and they give 50 million bht fund which is a little over1 million sterling, that will really help ! 1 or 2 of the hundreds injured every week lmao, why bother its futile when will be swallowed up by some corrupt government official!!