Ten Killed In Sukhothai Head-On Road Crash

webfact

ACCIDENT

Ten killed in Sukhothai collision

30197954-03_big.jpg

SUKHOTHAI: -- Ten people, among them a five-year-old boy, were killed on Tuesday in a head-on road accident in Sukhothai's Khiri Mat district.

The tragedy took place on the Sukhothai-Kampaengphet road at about 8.30am when a green pickup loaded with workers heading out of Muang district crashed head-on with a bronze pickup heading to Muang district.

Police arriving at the scene found bodies scattered on the road while others remained trapped in the vehicles.

The driver of the bronze pickup, who was identified as Shinakorn Soikham, was found dead at the wheel. Three passengers in the green pickup were killed and trapped in the car. Four of eight passengers who were thrown out of the back were killed.

The rest were injured and rushed to a hospital nearby. Two of them, a mother, known only as Nam as well as her five-year-old son succumbed to their injuries.

Police are investigating the cause of the crash.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-15

Absolute madness, what a loss of life in one blow.

Just the other day my jaw were falling down when a pick-up truck converted to move passengers had a load of school kids on board,the last 2 kids were unprotected by any bar or chain sitting at the back of a bench,when the driver took off they almost fell straight in front of my wheels out of the car.

luckely another kid could get a grip on their jacket otherwise?????????????

Its Driving around with death around the corner, be carefull out there .

Wife told me one of the trucks was doing the usual crazy overtake on the wrong side of the road. Didn't look and goodnight.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shows the dangers of people travelling in the back of pickups. Looking at the other vehicle where the passenger area seems to be not badly crushed I wonder if the driver was wearing a seatbelt.

Valid question,I think. Even if the engine became a visitor inside, the seatbelt and/or no airbag is probably the reason for loosing his life.

The picture looks a bit to me, that the green one is totally on the wrong side of the road.

I wonder, why these pictures are never taken from a useful angle!

Wife told me one of the trucks was doing the usual crazy overtake on the wrong side of the road. Didn't look and goodnight.

She told you which one? Was it the 'loaded' one?

Does anyone know how many on avg. die each year in LOS riding in the back of a pickup truck as a percentage of the overall road fatalities?

oops! You mean, a statistic, which shows truck/pick up people transports are so dangerous, that they should ban it?

Don't think so. Would mean, anyone would need to enforce law. Not the strongest point of the job description for the BiB's!

Edited by noob7

Anyone doing the Trat to Chantaburi ~ Soi Dao road will know this type of driver behaviour where Thai's simply pull out at you, flash their lights and expect you to move out of their way, even if it means running you into a ditch. This is just another case of driver idiocy resulting in carnage. And as long as the Police don't enforce overtaking like this, nothing will change. Easier to pay the police than cop a fine. Thus the ongoing failure of our B.i.B.

• Like 1

Tragic!

Woodcaulk, it would be a nice idea to know the statistics you are after, but truth is, it is difficult to get honest figures just on the actual road deaths, never mind sub categories.

I am faced with a real dichotomy at the moment. In two weeks time my 5 year olds class are going on a visit to a toy factory (wooden toys). It is only about 10 kms away, but I just don't trust the bus drivers here. No seat belts, no driver safety regulations. Help what do I do? I don't want her to miss it, I don't want her to miss the camaraderie with her little friends, but I also don't want her going on a bus with the type of guy who takes yabba to stay awake. Does she go, take the day off 'sick' or do I take her in the safety of our motor behind the bus? I never ever thought like this with my children in the UK! What have you folks done here in the past?

Tragic!

Woodcaulk, it would be a nice idea to know the statistics you are after, but truth is, it is difficult to get honest figures just on the actual road deaths, never mind sub categories.

I am faced with a real dichotomy at the moment. In two weeks time my 5 year olds class are going on a visit to a toy factory (wooden toys). It is only about 10 kms away, but I just don't trust the bus drivers here. No seat belts, no driver safety regulations. Help what do I do? I don't want her to miss it, I don't want her to miss the camaraderie with her little friends, but I also don't want her going on a bus with the type of guy who takes yabba to stay awake. Does she go, take the day off 'sick' or do I take her in the safety of our motor behind the bus? I never ever thought like this with my children in the UK! What have you folks done here in the past?

If you feel like this, take her yourself.......

Agree, take her and a couple of her friends with you and follow behind the bus. My littlest one turns 4 today and no way would I give up her security to any bus in Thailand - ever.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 2

Tragic!

Huh? blink.png

Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Tragic!

Huh? blink.png

I don't understand? I didn't say i was going to tailgate the bus did I?

Tragic!

Huh? blink.png

I don't understand? I didn't say i was going to tailgate the bus did I?

You asked if you would take or a motor behind the bus...didn't you?

In other words, do you consider a motor with your 5 year old on the back, safer as in a bus? blink.png

What we have here is a failure to communicate. (on your behalf I think).

He said ""IN" the safety of our "motor"" (British usage for a car). He did not say "on the back" of anything.

I understood it to mean he would be following the bus to the school, carrying his daughter in his own car..

Yes, you could be right here but I never heard the expression before"..or do I take her in the safety of our motor behind the bus?" meaning a car.

Sorry if I misunderstood writer GentlemanJim.

But, to give some advise to GentlemanJim, yes, bring her in a car with some of her friends (following the bus) to the "10 minutes away" toy factory location.

On the other hand, if one does not trust a/the Thai driver, what kind of life lies ahead for you, the child and her mother?....blink.png

I mean, ONE or BOTH cars, causing the 10 people killed today could have make the fatal mistake and such a fatal mistake could also happen to YOUR car, if you're driving your little girl to school or elsewhere.

It does NOT have to be YOUR fault.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. (on your behalf I think).

He said ""IN" the safety of our "motor"" (British usage for a car). He did not say "on the back" of anything.

I understood it to mean he would be following the bus to the school, carrying his daughter in his own car..

Yes, you could be right here but I never heard the expression before"..or do I take her in the safety of our motor behind the bus?" meaning a car.

Sorry if I misunderstood writer GentlemanJim.

But, to give some advise to GentlemanJim, yes, bring her in a car with some of her friends (following the bus) to the "10 minutes away" toy factory location.

On the other hand, if one does not trust a/the Thai driver, what kind of life lies ahead for you, the child and her mother?....blink.png

I mean, ONE or BOTH cars, causing the 10 people killed today could have make the fatal mistake and such a fatal mistake could also happen to YOUR car, if you're driving your little girl to school or elsewhere.

It does NOT have to be YOUR fault.

The 'in' could refer to the word 'safety' rather than to the word 'car' so an understandable confusion.

I understand GentlemanJim's dilemma. I often have to use buses and of course there's the taxis. Many driven badly, seatbelts hidden behind the rear seat. Plus as LaoPo says it doesn't have to be your fault. I think the idea of taking your daughter and a friend is your best option.

I have recently managed to get the female members of my gf's family to wear seatbelts although I doubt the male ones will follow.

Edited by kimamey

just another day this is only news for the families of them involved,yesterday i saw an old pickup full of workers speeding down korat-saraburi by-pass some were sat on the side legs outside the vehicle absolute crazy and what about baht buses in the morning full with kids hanging out of the back do the drivers care only when they cant get one more on.

Its nice to see measured thoughtful responses on this thread, but I cant help wondering, in light of the other thread regarding the Range Rover fender bender and temper tantrum, and the subsequent hysterical responses from TV finest, what the responses might be if one of the vehicles was owned/driven by a perceived "Hi-So" in this tragic accident ?

Tragic!

If you know the driver is the type of person to take yabba to stay awake then you know the answer to your question, and I hope you will be alerting the parents of the other children to your knowledge of the danger. If you don't know that the driver is a drug-taker then why make such a scurrilous slur against the drivers character?

No dichotomy surely?

• Like 1

Up country near Utradit one time a bus full of passengers passed me going up a hill and continued on the wrong side of the road passing an unbroken line of traffic. Suddenly a 10 wheel truck with trailer came the opposite way and the bus could not get back into our line of traffic. Both vehicles skidded to a stop and as I drove past them the truck driver and the bus driver were looking face to face at each other through their windscreens only 1/2 a metre apart. It was a very near thing to a major catastrophe. Sometimes I think it is the government's way of controlling population growth, not to demand the police prevent this sort of driving. I drive north to Nan quite often and see similar things every trip.

These drivers care nothing for the lives of others. I was forced off the road this morning on my motorcycle when a pickup coming from the opposite direction pulled out to overtake a couple of songthaews while flashing his lights at me. There were no other vehicles following along behind me. He just had no patience and no ettiquette.

• Like 2

Shows the dangers of people travelling in the back of pickups. Looking at the other vehicle where the passenger area seems to be not badly crushed I wonder if the driver was wearing a seatbelt.

RIP

Totally avoidable loss of life. That is why it is ilegal to travel in the back of utes in most countries. I have seen where it is standing room only in the back of some utes here in Thailand and a major disaster just waiting to happen.
  • Like 1

These drivers care nothing for the lives of others. I was forced off the road this morning on my motorcycle when a pickup coming from the opposite direction pulled out to overtake a couple of songthaews while flashing his lights at me. There were no other vehicles following along behind me. He just had no patience and no ettiquette.

True, in 7 years here I have lost count of the number of time I have had to take evasive action to avoid a head on collision. So many just think it is totally acceptable to overtake at will. Just flash the headlights then oncomming taffic has to get out of thier way even if there is nowhere to go apart from into a ditch. I guess that is why you see many copies of the road rules hanging on the dunny wall to be used as arse wipe.

Not surprising, normal on Thai roads. Just over New Year the death toll was about 330. Police is unable and unwilling to change the situation. Drunk driving unad driving without license common. Most of Thai drivers would not pass any driving test in Europe or Australia.

• Like 1