Blood Not Clotting

mommysboy

Last night I squeezed a pimple come spot come something or other on the side of my nose and it bled like razor cut, but would not stop, and again throughout most of today. Thankfully it has just stopped. I have not known anything like this and usually heal normally. Can this be related to the aspirin I take daily?. I have stopped as a precaution.

I had a DVT once and was prescribed Warfin.

After a time on that drug, the doctor recommended the standard 100mg Aspirin tablet as a routine blood thinner ... taken once a day. The standard size of 'headache' style Aspirin is 300mg.

What dosage do you take?

Do you fancy a red wine at night ... also said to thin the blood.

I'm no doctor ... just my experiences.

I would have nose checked by a doctor just to be sure (having had skin cancer removed - a spot that did not heal well). A check and lab test should not cost more than 2,000 baht most places and as you were not sure what it was believe good insurance. Yes aspirin can cause cuts to bleed more but the amount of under 100mg per day is not normally going to suddenly cause a problem AFAIK.

Due to the number and very superficial structure of blood vessels on the nose (the face and scalp generally) any lesion in this area bleeds more than normal compared to other areas.

Aspirin will slow down clotting time (as it is supposed to do) but bleeding should stop with pressure. Adding an infected lesion will cause prolonged bleeding as well.

Excellent suggestion by Lop above; cancerous, or pre-cancerous lesions (acantinic keratosis) will bleed a significant amount more and also longer. Not serious but worth a checkout by a dermatologist and easily treated if so.

Thanks for the replies. It bears no resemblance to acantinic keratosis or granuloma. As I have suffered quit a bit of acne in my life, I'm pretty sure I can say this is a small infected blind boil. I can see there are 2 heads and one seems to coincide with a surface vein. I'm reasonably vigilant about skin cancer, particularly melanoma but I think I'll ask the gP when back in Blighty soon.

It is the fact that it simply would not stop bleeding that unsettled me.

Unlike melanoma without a biopsy most doctors can not be sure with other skin cancers - in my case doctors were 99% sure non cancer and they turned out to be BCC (first when less than 30 and next over 50). Have since had several SCC. You really can not tell these from other skin infections (the good thing is they are normally slow and easily treated - but they need to be identified and that is a medical process - simple and painless shave of area cells and pathology).

If it were a coagulation problem you would have instances of bleeding from other locations as well, or at least excessive bruising. And this is unlikely to occur from therapeutic doses of low dose aspirin.

More likely it was just located near a vessel, but should rule out possible skin malignancy if the lesion does not completely clear.

I had a DVT once and was prescribed Warfin.

After a time on that drug, the doctor recommended the standard 100mg Aspirin tablet as a routine blood thinner ... taken once a day. The standard size of 'headache' style Aspirin is 300mg.

What dosage do you take?

Do you fancy a red wine at night ... also said to thin the blood.

I'm no doctor ... just my experiences.

I was diagnosed with DVT a year ago and was hospitalised, on a drip, plus additional potassium. Doppler U/S scan confirmed the presence of clots and I was initially treated with injections of Heparin (which I understand takes immediate effect), followed by Warfarin, which I'm still on, with blood checks every 2 months. The checks, I presume, are to monitor blood viscosity but due to language difficulties, the doctor is unable to make me understand exactly what is being measured and compared with what during these checks. Typically the readings would be:

Result Flag Ref.

PT 16.1 8.9 - 14.3

INR 1.19 0.64 - 1.17

For about a year my Warfarin dosage has remained the same at 1 x 5mg tablet once a day at bedtime. Can anyone enlighten me on the blood test parameters and the difference between using Warfarin as opposed to Junior Aspirin?

I do believe the red wine is a good idea too.

^^ Could be thread in itself your suggestion/question above.

Actually I remember you relaying your story in another posting some time ago, but at the time maybe I was distracted by more interesting things.

My DVT ended in one of the clots breaking away and lodging in my lungs = 10 days in hospital.

I remember the INR reporting well to my local GP (doctor). Also the initial of Heparin into my tight 6-pack ... nebulous stomach fat reserves ... maybe 10 days to 2 weeks?

After about 12 months on the Warfin, we had a discussion with the GP and decided that the 100mg of Asprin should be the go for the foreseeable future ... that was 4 years ago.

Here is the one of the Australian Governments brochures about the use of Warfin ...

Be better soon ...

EDIT ... forgot the link ... http://www.health.wa.gov.au/docreg/Education/Population/Health_Problems/HP8948_warfarin_B.pdf

Edited by David48

^^ Could be thread in itself your suggestion/question above.

Actually I remember you relaying your story in another posting some time ago, but at the time maybe I was distracted by more interesting things.

My DVT ended in one of the clots breaking away and lodging in my lungs = 10 days in hospital.

I remember the INR reporting well to my local GP (doctor). Also the initial of Heparin into my tight 6-pack ... nebulous stomach fat reserves ... maybe 10 days to 2 weeks?

After about 12 months on the Warfin, we had a discussion with the GP and decided that the 100mg of Asprin should be the go for the foreseeable future ... that was 4 years ago.

Here is the one of the Australian Governments brochures about the use of Warfin ...

Be better soon ...

EDIT ... forgot the link ... http://www.health.wa..._warfarin_B.pdf

Yes, if the clot, or part thereof, breaks loose, it rushes through the circulatory system, makes for the lungs, causes a pulmonary embolism, (which is what you must have had), and which can be fatal. You were fortunate, David. Although this is slightly off topic, (sorry, OP), it still bears discussion. As I now understand it, the Heparin and the subsequent Warfarin thin the blood sufficiently to prevent further clots. The clots which you already have must be dealt with by one's own defence and dis-armament system, which is often imperfect.

And yes, I did address this subject some time ago, but with little response. Clearly DVT is not a condition to be taken lightly, which is why I still seek enlightenment as to what, exactly, the blood tests mean. My uneducated guess is that they refer to a range of blood viscosity. Right now, I have no pain, swelling or internal heat. A year down the line, am I cured? I just don't know.

As an aside, the hospital wanted to keep me in for the daily Heparin jabs, which I could not abide the thought of. We persuaded them to give us a few days worth of pre-loaded syringes which, having been instructed how to administer, my wife was able to do quite painlessly, I should add.

Since you're posting 4 years down the line David, I'm assuming you're now all well?

^^ Seriously ... worthy of a new topic.

By my Member name you can approximate my age ... way to young for a DVT ... but it happened.

And yes ... I did have a pulmonary embolism ... only discovered when I went through that big donut shaped thing.

Warming suggesting starting a thread about it as that,

1/ we don't hijack the OP's initial meaning of his question ... just a common courtesy ... and

2/ with the proper title, you might get some more members opening up and sharing their story.

^^ Seriously ... worthy of a new topic.

By my Member name you can approximate my age ... way to young for a DVT ... but it happened.

And yes ... I did have a pulmonary embolism ... only discovered when I went through that big donut shaped thing.

Warming suggesting starting a thread about it as that,

1/ we don't hijack the OP's initial meaning of his question ... just a common courtesy ... and

2/ with the proper title, you might get some more members opening up and sharing their story.

Agreed!!

For some reason I was associating cancers with moles only.

Same here. However about a year ago or more I had a small bump on my neck like a pimple. After a while I just figured it was an ingrown whisker like I've had before. But it wasn't going away and it was slowly getting larger and a problem when shaving as I would sometime nick it. Went to the dermatologist and initial diagnosis was BSC and biopsy result confirmed it. Had a 5 cm long by 2cm wide incision to remove all the skin around it. The area affected itself was probably only 6-7 mm long and 2-3 mm wide.

I now watch myself more closely for anything suspect.