Push Starting A D-Tracker/klx

cm das

So I left the key in my bike on in the "on' position for a few hours & now have a dead battery. I made a halfhearted attempt at a push start but it didn't work. Since then I did some searching & found tips like trying to use 2nd gear instead of 1st gear. Any other advice out there? Do I need to hit the start button as well or just drop it into gear once it's rolling? And yes, I do plan on being on the bike when I try this.

Dont drop in gear put in gear and pull the clutch. Third gear might be easier. Key on, emergency kill on when rolling pop the clutch and when she fires pull the clutch in again. easy

you dont need to touch the start button.

Edited by yankee99

Yes

What Yankee said...running with it in gear & clutched + pulling clutch in right after the bump

That is the biggest thing

And yes 2nd gear at most never 1st...

Put in 2nd gear,

key on,

clutch in,

run,

jump on seat,

pop the clutch at the same time you land on the seat,

bike should start right up & you pull the clutch in immediately & rev it a bit...

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

No Luck. In 2nd gear the bike wasn't even close to starting. 3rd was more promising but it seemed like I couldn't get the bike going fast enough. So, given that there's no hill nearby (not a paved one at least) & given that there's no bike repair shop within pushing distance, what are my options other than going to buy a new battery & installing it myself (can't be that hard, right)?

I would just remove the battery, take it to the shop on a scooter or whatever and ask them to charge it. Cost will be about 20 baht. Then collect it tomorrow and re-install. They can test the battery as well to see if it can hold a charge well or if it needs replacing.

No Luck. In 2nd gear the bike wasn't even close to starting. 3rd was more promising but it seemed like I couldn't get the bike going fast enough. So, given that there's no hill nearby (not a paved one at least) & given that there's no bike repair shop within pushing distance, what are my options other than going to buy a new battery & installing it myself (can't be that hard, right)?

Go to a local mechanic, he would go to your home if you pay him.

Also It does matter if the bike is usually an easy starter to begin with :)

One thing many do not realize about bump starting is that it is just that...just a bump

Not pushing it in gear. The bump should be quick then clutch in already.

Another trick is to sit on the bike first in gear, clutch out & rock it back to put the engine stroke in the best place

for starting. Which would be when you cannot rock it back anymore

Then proceed with bump start method.

Again this all assumes your bike is in a good state of tune to begin with.