No Licence Plate For 3 Months On A New Car?

OP correct. After 30 days it is your problem. Go to the local transport office with all your paperwork telling no plates from dealer and get a ''waver'' document for the BiB..

Hmmmmm. Not yet 30 days, but still got fined.

Thanks for the replies.

Weeeeeeeell, you bought a few beers, sadly not for me. sad.png

OP correct. After 30 days it is your problem. Go to the local transport office with all your paperwork telling no plates from dealer and get a ''waver'' document for the BiB..

Thanks for the replies.

did you had the temp book with you which came with the red plates and was it filled in correctly ?

Thanks for the replies.

did you had the temp book with you which came with the red plates and was it filled in correctly ?

Well, he wrote 'not having a licence plate', so the answer to your questions seems obvious.

Really one should not accept a new ride without red plates, it is the law, what ever the dealer says. Stand your ground and threaten to go to the Transport office. These dealers should hold a sufficient number of red plates for their sales, end of story. thumbsup.gif

The dealer I just bought from said there aren't enough red plates to go round at the moment. So I've got 'unofficial' red plates and a letter to present if stopped. No book because they're not official plates with the stamp. But I didn't have to pay any red plate deposit either which I think they sometimes take.

The dealer I just bought from said there aren't enough red plates to go round at the moment. So I've got 'unofficial' red plates and a letter to present if stopped. No book because they're not official plates with the stamp. But I didn't have to pay any red plate deposit either which I think they sometimes take.

No, the red plate cash is returned to you on plate change over.

Just to update. My wife went today to the car dealer to get the red plates. Hopefully she'll be happy when she comes home after work.

She borrowed 3,000 from me; is that what it costs ( doesn't matter if it's less, as she will repay me for sure, so not a "scam" as some might think )?

Really one should not accept a new ride without red plates, it is the law, what ever the dealer says. Stand your ground and threaten to go to the Transport office. These dealers should hold a sufficient number of red plates for their sales, end of story. thumbsup.gif

<Stand your ground and threaten to go to the Transport office>

Bit late now, with the car at the house. I had nothing to do with it anyway.

Just to update. My wife went today to the car dealer to get the red plates. Hopefully she'll be happy when she comes home after work.

She borrowed 3,000 from me; is that what it costs ( doesn't matter if it's less, as she will repay me for sure, so not a "scam" as some might think )?

Depends on the dealer. Some don't ask for a deposit, others do.

3000 is OK but that is only a deposit, you should get the 3000 back from the dealer after 3 month, when you get the white plates.

But it is NOT the end of the story and never has been.

Each dealership has an annual allocation of red (dealer) plates.

They have to pay for them; that's why you normally have to pay a refundable deposit if/when they fit them to your car.

They have to pay more if they want more red plates. They won't do that.

They won't pay for anything more than they reckon they have to.

LTO's don't have a stockpile of red plates either, hence the growing number of fake red plates (no log book).

Thai's like to keep the red plates as long as possible, so that they perpetually seem to have a 'new' car.

There is ALWAYS a shortage of red plates at the end of the year.

The debacle and delays due to the white plate paint debacle has made red plates scarcer than hens teeth.

Most traffic cops will ignore not having plates on your wheels.

Now, with all that reality in mind, the dealership advises you that the (for example) 6-months waiting for your top-of-the-line Honda Whatever is over. Now, after giving them 5000 baht half a year ago and another one and half million on delivery, are you really going to stand your ground and refuse to take it home? Really?

Yes, the law is the law and the OP's wife is maybe the first we have heard on TV being nailed for total lack of plates on a new car. I was 'nailed' in Bangkok but that was after only 2 weeks on the road, without any form of paperwork apart from the delivery note and the insurance policy. When my road tax sticker arrived 3 months later (without plates) the receipt had a note from the LTO saying the plates would be another 60-days in coming. However, once I got rid of the red plates, ie. NO plates fitted but had a tax sticker, all the cops lost interest.

PS. The maximum stated validity of the red plates is only 30-days anyway. So even with a legal set and the log book, the white plates are still far enough away that eventually the red plates will be 'illegal' to the traffic cop wanting to make an extra buck or ten.

PPS. The Bangkok expressway cop that nailed me while I was plate-less said that the actual penalty for no plates whatsoever is 7000 baht. He didn't get 400 baht either!

Edited by NanLaew

3000 is OK but that is only a deposit, you should get the 3000 back from the dealer after 3 month, when you get the white plates.

My dealer charged 3k baht as well and gave me a receipt. When I went to get my tax sticker and they took the red plates off, I got the money back.

Mate...I think the scam might be your missus "borrowing" money from you. I thoughht marriage was a partnership not a business. Each to his own I guess.

Mate...I think the scam might be your missus "borrowing" money from you. I thoughht marriage was a partnership not a business. Each to his own I guess.

Hmmmm. Never loaned money to anyone you know????? Silly thing to say as you don't know my wife, and yes it is a "loan".

I bought a new motor cycle and waited 3 months to get a number plate. Turns out the Thai lady in charge of this was waiting for me to give her some "Tea money". The supervisor in the office heard of my problem and hey presto, the plate was suddenly found !!!!clap2.gifw00t.gif

It's 90 days to get replacement plates also. Not just new ones. Instead of just going to the Land Transport Department and telling them you need new plates (because the ones that they gave you are defective and are no longer legible) they require you to turn in your old ones while you wait the 90 days for the new ones

Absolutely no reason that they couldn't take your money and then take your plates once the new ones are in, other than, TIT

It's 90 days to get replacement plates also. Not just new ones. Instead of just going to the Land Transport Department and telling them you need new plates (because the ones that they gave you are defective and are no longer legible) they require you to turn in your old ones while you wait the 90 days for the new ones

Absolutely no reason that they couldn't take your money and then take your plates once the new ones are in, other than, TIT

There was a side bar article in the Bangkok Post yesterday indicating that if you have a set of defective plates the Land Transport Office will issue you a new set free of charge until September 1st AND will allow you to keep your current plates and only surrender your new plates once you get your new plates 15 days after your request

As usual, no word about this in The Nation

Wonder how long it will take the Pattaya office to get the word ?

Wonder how long it will take the Pattaya office to get the word ?

Sometime after September 1st.

How true, Bamlamung is still insisting that it will take 90 days to get the new plates BUT have backed down on the requirement to turn in your old ones while you wait.

Anyone going there to inquire might want to take a copy of this announcement from the Land Transport Department with them to see how they react

DLT.pdf

Source:

http://www.dlt.go.th...¸˜à¹Œ&Itemid=87