Your Verdict Please

Beng

Ok, I agree Dukes is a bit better, but I wouldn't drive across town for it. (Or any basic fast food)

What WOULD you drive across town for?

I'm curious now. unsure.png

Macaroons from Oriental Bakery.

Dim Sum from Toey Dim Sum.

Farang food at Chez Marco.

Thai food at Lemon Tree.

A healthy breakfast at Blue Diamond.

Southern food and curries at Had Yai Choke Dee.

Steak and Ribs at Dukes.

Sai Ua at Ton Makham / Mae Hia.

Sushi at Tsunami Huay Kaew.

Beer on Loy Kroh.

Chicks at Zoe.

Wings at Hooters.

+1

Where is Had Yai Choke Dee, please.

Greasy and slimy, no points

Go to The Dukes, really good pizza and everything that MD's isn't.

For once we agree 100%. tongue.png

Edit: Mad Dog do an excellent muesli, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast.

Oh and if you are the Eurozone fatboy telling someone to stop smoking at the front of the bar and were told to go swivel....it was me. laugh.png

then again it could have been me angry.png

Greasy and slimy, no points

Go to The Dukes, really good pizza and everything that MD's isn't.

For once we agree 100%. tongue.png

Edit: Mad Dog do an excellent muesli, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast.

Oh and if you are the Eurozone fatboy telling someone to stop smoking at the front of the bar and were told to go swivel....it was me. laugh.png

then again it could have been me angry.png

Oh no you're picking a fight with Smokie, you better be careful, he might gum you to death. coffee1.gif

I only ever use MD for breakfast, the toast and poached egg is decent, I've tried the full fry up and that fills a hole. The staff take my order and serve me quickly, and they always get the order correct so that's fine.

It's never occurred to me to use it as a bar as I want to enjoy life.

Here:

http://goo.gl/maps/tDN8F

https://www.facebook.com/TeYtiMsa

Note that I like it because the quality you get for the affordable price is quite good. But for the best Dim Sum in Chiang Mai you'd need to go to Fujian (Oriental Hotel). In between those two, price-wise is the dim sum shop at 89 Plaza.

All I am getting is a photo of the place on Google Maps, but I recognize it and it is on Kumpang Din road as I supected. It is the same Dim Sum sold almost everywhere, but inexpensive as you said.

Here:

Note that I like it because the quality you get for the affordable price is quite good. But for the best Dim Sum in Chiang Mai you'd need to go to Fujian (Oriental Hotel). In between those two, price-wise is the dim sum shop at 89 Plaza.

That Fujian at the Oriental looks amazing.

How was it and was it worth the price?

Here:

That Fujian at the Oriental looks amazing.

How was it and was it worth the price?

Yes. Not sure if they still have it, but they also used to have a set price for a dim sum lunch. (500 baht or so) Also their roast duck is very, very good. And if you have the Oriental Hotel discount card then that cuts another 20% I believe.

• Like 1

I see that this is the food forum, so I'll ask a question. I overheard some folks talking about good dining at a place called the "Glass house" or something like that. They said is was in the old city near some place (night club?) called the yellow something. Anybody with better details than that?

I see that this is the food forum, so I'll ask a question. I overheard some folks talking about good dining at a place called the "Glass house" or something like that. They said is was in the old city near some place (night club?) called the yellow something. Anybody with better details than that?

Ummm.. there's 'Glass Onion' on Nimmanhaemin.. a somewhat gay oriented place. Don't know of something with Glass in the name in the old city near Zoe in Yellow..

chiang-mai-the-glass-onion-1083.jpg

Here:

All I am getting is a photo of the place on Google Maps, but I recognize it and it is on Kumpang Din road as I supected. It is the same Dim Sum sold almost everywhere, but inexpensive as you said.

You can zoom out of the Google street view and get the location. I don't think it's the same that's sold in many of the noodle shops around town though, they make it themselves. Also the big fried shrimp tempura thing they do is interesting.

For Aussie owned, I'm going to EuroDiner. Not old or grumpy enough for MD's, and certainly not going to sit with the missionairies for a Paki baked pizza at Dukes.

BTW, Americans do Not eat hot dogs for breakfast.

"...sit with the missionaries for a Paki baked pizza at Dukes"???blink.png As far as I know, they are all Thais in the kitchen at Dukes (with the exception of the older farang man who I assume is the head chef). I don't know about other people's observation, but the last 3 times I went to the Dukes, twice I was the ONLY farang there, third time there was one other farang sitting outside smoking. Not a missionary in sight; only Thais.

• Like 1

Ummm.. there's 'Glass Onion' on Nimmanhaemin.. a somewhat gay oriented place. Don't know of something with Glass in the name in the old city near Zoe in Yellow..

chiang-mai-the-glass-onion-1083.jpg

The Glass House is a new restaurant on Ratchaphakhinai Rd. Don't know anything else about it other than from the appearance of its building of the place it's aptly named. Only know of its existence from driving past it..

Edited by AngelsLariat

The Glass House is a new restaurant on Ratchaphakhinai Rd. Don't know anything else about it other than from the appearance of its building of the place it's aptly named. Only know of its existence from driving past it..

Ah right, I remember it now. Very large place, I was worried it could be too large.

It's here, but of course it wasn't there yet when Google took the Streetview shots: http://goo.gl/maps/z5QTF

For Aussie owned, I'm going to EuroDiner. Not old or grumpy enough for MD's, and certainly not going to sit with the missionairies for a Paki baked pizza at Dukes.

BTW, Americans do Not eat hot dogs for breakfast.

"...sit with the missionaries for a Paki baked pizza at Dukes"???blink.png As far as I know, they are all Thais in the kitchen at Dukes (with the exception of the older farang man who I assume is the head chef). I don't know about other people's observation, but the last 3 times I went to the Dukes, twice I was the ONLY farang there, third time there was one other farang sitting outside smoking. Not a missionary in sight; only Thais.

The Duke's has become very popular with rich Thais. That is the path to success in the Kingdom.

Indeed. And it's interesting to see how much food they order. For a party of 4 they might order a full order of ribs, a pizza, a steak, a salad, a burger, spaghetti carbonara, and of course a couple of deserts. They share the food Thai style and take photos as the food arrives. I'm quite comfortable in saying that they spend more on average than the farangs do as we would never order that much food and share it.

I might add that it's not only the rich Bangkok types with their gold ornaments, matching designer shoes, sunglasses, and purses that go there. When we were there a couple of weeks ago there was a large family sitting next to us (not only large in number of family members but size per person as well!). They looked like they had just got off the bus from Ubon Ratchathani.

Edited by elektrified