Farm Photos

shaggy1969

Some Garden pictures; yes in my opinion the habaneros are just as cute as the ducklings.

The yellow dragon fruit comes from Columbia; when growing you better not touch it; when ripe you can just magically wipe a way the needles !!

Picture%2520865.jpg

Oh lucky you Soidog2!!! ...thumbsup.gif my Habanaros don't get past this stage, they just rot sad.png ... regular Thai chillies right next to them are fine!

Samui's climate does not seem to work for Tomatoes either .... I have not fingered out why yet, I always put it down to being too warm at night, but perhaps it's the day length?

I have not seen Toms doing well, anywhere in southern Thailand.... my farming friends in Songkhla say they don't do well, so they don't bother with them... where as they grow about anything else that makes them money (sometimes!)

2013-06-28-892.jpg

sorry not a very good image! facepalm.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

Some Garden pictures; yes in my opinion the habaneros are just as cute as the ducklings.

The yellow dragon fruit comes from Columbia; when growing you better not touch it; when ripe you can just magically wipe a way the needles !!

Have you got any cuttings of the yellow dragon fruit?

I import most of this things; to translate it into baht, it would be a ridiculous amount by Thai standards.

I do it for fun not profit; if you have some exotic fruit you can trade, I will be happy to exchange with you.

I am much the same as yourself and like to try something new for the satisfaction of seeing my efforts come to fruition.Are you looking for anything in particular? My sources are very limited but if I can find something that you are looking for.I will do my best to help.

Was the import process very complicated and did you import the yellow dragon fruit by seed or cutting?

Have you got any cuttings of the yellow dragon fruit?

I import most of this things; to translate it into baht, it would be a ridiculous amount by Thai standards.

I do it for fun not profit; if you have some exotic fruit you can trade, I will be happy to exchange with you.

I am much the same as yourself and like to try something new for the satisfaction of seeing my efforts come to fruition.Are you looking for anything in particular? My sources are very limited but if I can find something that you are looking for.I will do my best to help.

Was the import process very complicated and did you import the yellow dragon fruit by seed or cutting?

You first need to check with the FDA if the item you wish to export/import is allowed into Thailand

The process is designed for wholesalers but open to individuals.

If you want to go for it; you will need to register with the FDA as an import export entity (easily done on the web)

After registration you find your nearest field office; contact them, make them aware you will need a phytosanitary certificate for your item.

They will tell you the requirements; after you are sure you can meet the requirements (bare roots, ETC.) you go back on the web, fill up all the necessary forms and request a formal appointment.

On the given date, the inspector will come to your location, will inspect your plants; if you pass, a few days later will issue the phytosanitary certificate.

It is valid only for a short period of time; best to schedule just ahead of a planned trip.

Arrive in Thailand; go to the plant quarantine; show them your paper work and off you go.

All this will cost a few hundred $, good for more than one inspection.

If you are not from the US; I cannot help.

Best regards.

Perhaps you have a navel orange seedling or some other unusual (In Thailand) Citrus.

Edited by soidog2
  • Like 1

Picture%2520865.jpg

Oh lucky you Soidog2!!! ...thumbsup.gif my Habanaros don't get past this stage, they just rot sad.png ... regular Thai chillies right next to them are fine!

Samui's climate does not seem to work for Tomatoes either .... I have not fingered out why yet, I always put it down to being too warm at night, but perhaps it's the day length?

I have not seen Toms doing well, anywhere in southern Thailand.... my farming friends in Songkhla say they don't do well, so they don't bother with them... where as they grow about anything else that makes them money (sometimes!)

By the look of your pepper; the reason its rotting; because of the fruit fly or other pest infestation.

You must protect them or watch them rot all the time.

To successfully grow western tomatoes you need to first take care of your soil. My Buriram weather is quite miserable, extreme heat & nasty rainy seasons.

Even in the most adverse weather, in a rich soil you will get a crop going especially if you cover the tomatoes.

Saturate your garden with cow manure, get a hold of some bone meal; do not use chemical fertilizers; put as much organic materials as you can; till it all; keep at it for a couple of years you will see great improvement in your tomato growing ability.

Picture%2520865.jpg

By the look of your pepper; the reason its rotting; because of the fruit fly or other pest infestation.

You must protect them or watch them rot all the time.

To successfully grow western tomatoes you need to first take care of your soil. My Buriram weather is quite miserable, extreme heat & nasty rainy seasons.

Even in the most adverse weather, in a rich soil you will get a crop going especially if you cover the tomatoes.

Saturate your garden with cow manure, get a hold of some bone meal; do not use chemical fertilizers; put as much organic materials as you can; till it all; keep at it for a couple of years you will see great improvement in your tomato growing ability.

Thanks Soi Dog! ah tooooo much work for me! bah.gifbiggrin.png I'll stick to my Italian Basil, that is easy... thumbsup.gif

I'll pass this on to the kid pictured above.... doing the air layering.... especially about the Habanaro .... he's a keener on all this stuff.... wink.png

Checking the veggie patch... one of my neighbours this evening.... Corn and beans... probably happy after a good rain last night !

Buddha%2520Beach%2520evening%2520Jul%252

To Shaggy.... Have fun with the new baby and your family.... thumbsup.gif

Don't laze in the hammock too much, though! wink.png

• Like 2

That's all folks

DSCF4471-001.JPG

I hope that you have enjoyed the photos from the pigs farm as much as I am enjoying looking at your photos.

Farming is still in my heart as much as my family and Thailand is, hopefully it won't be long before I am farming again.

This time though I have my priorities right smile.pngfamily comes first wai.gif

Regards

Shaggy

+1 Shaggy thumbsup.gif

I'm still on Ran Out Like Blacklist...2 days already ! dry.png

• Like 1

To Shaggy.... Have fun with the new baby and your family.... thumbsup.gif

Don't laze in the hammock too much, though! wink.png

Thanks Jim ....less than a week to go now biggrin.png

Don't think I will have much time for lazing......weeding out the rubber trees and changing nappies should keep me busy for a while.

But a swing in the old hammock with a few beers in the evening couldn't hurt laugh.png

....unless I have too many beers and fall out of it blink.png

Edited by shaggy1969
  • Like 1

Families rubber trees just after the cassava was harvested

DSCN1836%255B1%255D-001.JPG

Starting to look better after been treated with weed killer.

Still the odd cassava to pull out, getting a tractor in with the next rain for a clean up and give fertilizer.

(Hopefully this will be the last time we use chemicals to kill the weeds.)

DSCN1961%255B1%255D-001.JPG

• Like 2