From Our Begger Spotter

GuestHouse

They just took a bunch of pictures of unattractive people near Nana Plaza and assumed that they are "sex tourists".

I bet that many of them are the type that write in to TV swearing that they came to Thailand for the "culture" who just happened to be shopping at Asia Books that day. :o

I thought the pics were a bit shitty actually, it was ok when they was poking fun at the sex tourist look, but then they start poking fun at the farang couple and you realise it was just a bit of farang bashing or a shot at all the unhip people compared to the oh so cool bangkokrecorder crowd. :D

Best thing about that site is DJ Pat gets regulary bashed on there, amongst his so called peers. :o

I thought the pics were a bit shitty actually, it was ok when they was poking fun at the sex tourist look, but then they start poking fun at the farang couple and you realise it was just a bit of farang bashing or a shot at all the unhip people compared to the oh so cool bangkokrecorder crowd. :D

Best thing about that site is DJ Pat gets regulary bashed on there, amongst his so called peers. :D

Wondering about Pat - I see the lad got a perm boot from here. :o

Best thing about that site is DJ Pat gets regulary bashed on there, amongst his so called peers. :D

Lets face it, kinda deserved it for some of his comments. I remember when those backpackers had the car crash and some were badly injured. His comment was something along the lines off 'wish they had died'.

I know a lot of the stuff he said was tongue in cheek but he did have a superiority complex over anyone who wasn't a bonafide expat.

A great thread he started was how he never went into a restaurant again because the owner who he knew didnt wai him when he turned up there.

Bit of a <deleted> really. :D

Lets face it, kinda deserved it for some of his comments. I remember when those backpackers had the car crash and some were badly injured. His comment was something along the lines off 'wish they had died'.

I know a lot of the stuff he said was tongue in cheek but he did have a superiority complex over anyone who wasn't a bonafide expat.

A great thread he started was how he never went into a restaurant again because the owner who he knew didnt wai him when he turned up there.

Bit of a <deleted> really. :D

More show than anything - actually quite a nice bloke in person. :D

Yeah, maybe he is. I kind of got that impression about him before, but then he just made some comments that just really annoyed me, and I thought even in jest, he shouldn't be such a <deleted>. On the other hand a guy that has to make a big show of himself, and cant be himself on the forum is a bit nobbish anyway I think.

I see know difference between the photo of the begger and the photo of the foreigners this thread takes you to.

Both are judgemental.

But I do note that while Chanchao chose to post both threads on the LP, he chose not to post this one here - I ask why above.

I also note that the response of people to the begger photo is pretty reactionary, whereas these photos of overweight middle aged foreigners go somewhat uncommented on.

Odd really.

But to my mind sneaking photos of people and offering them up for ridicule is pretty spineless.

I see know difference between the photo of the begger and the photo of the foreigners this thread takes you to.

Both are judgemental.

But I do note that while Chanchao chose to post both threads on the LP, he chose not to post this one here - I ask why above.

I also note that the response of people to the begger photo is pretty reactionary, whereas these photos of overweight middle aged foreigners go somewhat uncommented on.

Odd really.

But to my mind sneaking photos of people and offering them up for ridicule is pretty spineless.

May be he had good intentions, but he's been bashed for it at the other forum...

It is quite possible that had this <deleted> pointed his camera in a different direction on a different day he could have taken a photo of a middle-aged Farang accompanied by two good-looking young Thai girls; one 15 the other 19.

We can all guess at the comment.

The fact that the Farang (me) was with his daughter and his son's girlfriend would not have occurred to this pea brain.

I agree with you Guesthouse - seems we are all likely targets of the pirate snapshots!! :o

Hmmm - I spot someone trying to take sneaky pics of me his camera or phone will get the same treatment as they would in a go go - off the wall :D

Maybe better just to take one back and post it everywhere and making slanderous allegations about underage sex - that would teach him as mud sticks

They just took a bunch of pictures of unattractive people near Nana Plaza and assumed that they are "sex tourists".

I bet that many of them are the type that write in to TV swearing that they came to Thailand for the "culture" who just happened to be shopping at Asia Books that day. :o

I was shopping at Asia books

It is quite possible that had this <deleted> pointed his camera in a different direction on a different day he could have taken a photo of a middle-aged Farang accompanied by two good-looking young Thai girls; one 15 the other 19.

The fact that the Farang (me) was with his daughter and his son's girlfriend would not have occurred to this pea brain.

Why should it have occurred to anybody?What with respect made you look different from countless other farang in that area?

<snip>

I agree, GuestHouse. My only comment is, "Get a life." :o

Well said. The beggar guy seems to be fair game, he is sitting with a sign, trying to attract attention.

The random snaps of people going about their business could have been taken anywhere, anytime and taking such pictures is utterly purile and irrelevant.

One can only wonder at the pathetically fragile ego that feels the need to justify itself by ridiculing nameless strangers.

> But I do note that while Chanchao chose to post both threads on the LP, he

> chose not to post this one here - I ask why above.

GuestHouse!! Darling!! :o I did not post that one here BECAUSE THOSE LINKS CAME FROM HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I lifted them from Thaivisa after making a post here saying that they weren't that remarkable, but I considered it still noteworthy enough to warrant a post overthere, thinking it might generate some discussion. (Keep in mind that most if not all of the regular posters on the LP Thailand forum are residents like you and me; very few typical backpackers)

And also it was a response to a series of shots of 'typical backpackers', with captions making fun of them, posted earlier on LP. That's why it was sort of relevant to post there. That original series of shots making fun of backpackers can be found here, and BOY are they judhemental. :Dhttp://www.pbase.com/kananga/thailand There's 'Freak Street' about Khao San, and another brilliant one on the Full Moon party. :D

But... the origin was here. I'll find the link in a minute. Note that that discussion also generated a response that I subsequently reposted here in the Expat Fun forum. (the "Now THIS is weird" post.) It was originally posted on LP by a poster named 'yerman'. Here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61251

Hope this answered your question. :D Anything else keeping you awake at night these days? Don't hesitate to ask. If anything it'll result in some more fun links. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Oops. I wasn't quite accurate when I wrote that those pics originally came from here. I actually got them from that forum with the big entertainment plaza in Soi 4 in the name.

If you check there, I wrote in response to those pics of random Western men on Sukhumvit:

" By the way, I think the Bangkokrecorder pages are pretty lame.

There's one or two there worth taking a picture of, but really.

And what's with the black stripe on their eyes? It just makes them

look like criminals for no reason, but they most definitely remain

recognizable. Either protect people's privacy blurring out their whole

face, or don't bother. This way it's a bit pathetic really. "

So that's my opinion on the Bangkokrecorder series, pretty close to the opinion of most people here I'd say. That's why it wouldn't really be worth posting here. However on LP it was relevant, because of the earlier series of shots that made fun of Khao San Road people. (And rightly so. :o Again, the main audience of regulars overthere aren't backpackers but the same sort of people who subscribe to ThaiVisa. We once had a Lonely Planet forum meet-up/piss-up and we couldn't even get agreement on a location near Khao San / Banglamphu... So we had it at Gulliver's Soi 5. :D

To summarize: The only picture that was mine is the one of the farang beggar. The rest is just cross-posting of links from one place to the other and vice versa, so it might generate interest/discussion.

I agree with you Guesthouse - seems we are all likely targets of the pirate snapshots!! :o

Speak for yourself, not everyone wanders around BKK with no class looking like sloppy disheveled throw back dregs. The photos and commentary were funny. Those people left their homes and came out side, in public looking like that so I don't see anything wrong with taking their pic. The only way I could see feeling offence is if you happened to go out looking like that as well. And perhaps, for what ever reason cannot comprehend the humor in their rather dopey, trash like appearance. :D

Speak for yourself, not everyone wanders around BKK with no class looking like sloppy disheveled throw back dregs. The photos and commentary were funny. Those people left their homes and came out side, in public looking like that so I don't see anything wrong with taking their pic. The only way I could see feeling offence is if you happened to go out looking like that as well. And perhaps, for what ever reason cannot comprehend the humor in their rather dopey, trash like appearance. :D

so next time you are down on your luck you wil not mind anyone taking your picture while trying to scam people, oops sorry sell them Tmeshare options that are illegal in most civilised countries and why Mr J Palmer went to jail even if he is multi-milionaire, and post it all over the web describing your nefarious actions in trying to con people?

In the other thread, you complained that you find it difficult to get a job as a teacher because you were always stereotyped as a "big black man", and now you think it's OK to intrude on these people's privacy because of their appearances!? Isn't this ironic :o

Edited by CMCool

In the other thread, you complained that you find it difficult to get a job as a teacher because you were always stereotyped as a "big black man", and now you think it's OK to intrude on these people's privacy because of their appearances!? Isn't this ironic :D

Privacy? what is so Private about Sukumvit? It would be dead wrong for them to be photographed at their homes, private clubs, or hotel rooms. But Public is just that, Public. Call a spade a spade, if your running around goofy looking outside expect ridicule. If your looking great expect complements. What if anything they mean to you is really a matter of personal choice. But their exsistance is mearly human nature. Whats so wrong with calling it as we see it?

so next time you are down on your luck you wil not mind anyone taking your picture while trying to scam people, oops sorry sell them Tmeshare options that are illegal in most civilised countries and why Mr J Palmer went to jail even if he is multi-milionaire, and post it all over the web describing your nefarious actions in trying to con people?

Ok you make several assumptions that are comical in themselves.

Firstly you assume that the people in these photos are down on their luck. Looks can be deceiving, any one of them could have hoards of money but for what ever reason choose to wander around looking like they knocked over a Salvation Army or a cheap Indian tailor.

Secondly Time share is legal in The US, UK, Australia, NZ, and likely throughout Europe... what "civilized" countries are you referring too exactly?

And really, I wish I could play ball like Mike, or golf like Tiger but I don't knock them because I can't. If you don't have the confidence, persistence or dedication it takes to be a professional closer, why knock those that do? How small is that?.....weak damm weak.

Actually, all the guys in the photos are better dressed than me. Guess I must be a loser, huh?

I'm surprised at how seriously some people take this but then again perhaps not. It's simple really, A saint in rags is still a saint...they may look like a bum, but their still a saint.

A bastard in Armani is still a bastard...they may look a supermodel but their still a bastard.

I am not at all commenting on the character of the individuals in question. Merely having a laugh at their choice of attire and their over all look, combined with the humorous rhetoric of the guy who posted them. I personally find it amusing after living in Thailand for so many years I can relate to seeing similar looking people all the time and it's rather amusing...I don't know, I just "Get it" the joke that is.

As for you being a looser or not who knows, I know I don't. But if you dress like a bum , and carry yourself like one expect a similar reaction.

Just like for example, if I walked down the street with size 44 pants hanging off my ass, a shirt 6 sizes to big and when I opened my mouth it sounded like I had a 3rd grade education I would expect people to look at me and think I was a ignorant thug.

Just human nature, for right or wrong, we judge, at least initially, off of appearances and gut instinct... survival trait actually

Just human nature, for right or wrong, we judge, at least initially, off of appearances and gut instinct... survival trait actually

Yes but to then take that personal judgement and by sneaking photos and posting them on the internet portraying the subjects of the photos under banners loaded with personal predjudice is another thing altogether.

Keen to show us the Farang Begger... but holding back on this Links Posted Elsewhere.

I guess its just playing to the gallery.

Reminds me of a German guy I saw once on Sukhumvit Road. He had the biggest, gingerest mullet you ever saw. Nothing against people with that hair colour - but when you have hair the colour of a tangerine don't combine it with the most unfashionable hair cut known to man. It was almost half-way down his back!

so next time you are down on your luck you wil not mind anyone taking your picture

Who said anyone in those pictures is down on their luck.

Mr Moneyshot

It is you who has jumped to the wrong conclusions - I am not assuming they are down on their luck. I was referring to a post of yours that stated that you were down on your luck so you resorted to selling Timeshare.

Yes Timeshare is legal in the likes of the US and UK but there are restrictions anf fo this Mr Palmer was jailed for 8 years - that is why a ot of these scammers ran from Europe and set up in Thailand where the law is not so strict and nefarious practices are not yet illegal as it will take time for a legal system to adapt just as it did in Europe and elsewhere by offering among many other things like cooling down periods etc.

As for great closers (Professional Closer - how weak is that!) - do not make me laugh - most of these guys are conmen who could not sell using norrmal business practices - they woul not get a foot in the door of the real business world and have to take part in very grey area's indeed.

Double Glazing cold callers make Timeshare scammers look like Big Blue Board level negotiators!

As for your piss poor arguments about the right to privacy is lost bcause you step outside into public then that is again piss poor weak conjecture - there may be aguments regardin velebrities giving up the right to some privacy due to the nature of their work but then even with them there are limits.

With a totally private individual they have the right to privacy untl they give it up overtly ie siging it away or covertly by becoming a criminal etc.

Just the act of steping outside ones door does not give up that right to privacy.

Keen to show us the Farang Begger... but holding back on this Links Posted Elsewhere.

I guess its just playing to the gallery.

Reminds me of a German guy I saw once on Sukhumvit Road. He had the biggest, gingerest mullet you ever saw. Nothing against people with that hair colour - but when you have hair the colour of a tangerine don't combine it with the most unfashionable hair cut known to man. It was almost half-way down his back!

so next time you are down on your luck you wil not mind anyone taking your picture

Who said anyone in those pictures is down on their luck.

I was not referring to anyone in the pictures being down on their luck but Mr Moneyshot stating he became a Time Share Artiste when he was down on his luck as he stated.

We could the take his picture, post it all over the web and say - look this is the guy trying underhand nefarious sales methods to try and close Timeshare sales to the unwary. In fact in that cae it would be a public duty ;-)

As for the Bangkok Recorder mob - well you do have to sympathise a little - they more than othes can not make it back home so they try Thailand hopng to become big fish in the small pond that is the Clubbing scene etc. Most of them will be scraping by as English Teachers or getting paid in beer tokens for playing records while handing out Biz Cards with declarations of "Business Development Consultant" or something else just as unlikely.

Younger people have always taken the piss out of the way older people dress or their attitudes (I can remember being a Punk rocker and thinking everybody over 30 should be put down - oh how foolish we can be) - let them have their time in the sun - it soon gets shady

It is quite possible that had this &lt;deleted&gt; pointed his camera in a different direction on a different day he could have taken a photo of a middle-aged Farang accompanied by two good-looking young Thai girls; one 15 the other 19.

Why should it have occurred to anybody?What with respect made you look different from countless other farang in that area?

I think he makes a fair comment. Why should it occur to anybody that he is a sex tourist? Small-mindedness for one. Ignorance for another.

There are so many situations where things like that can happen. This means my father is made to feel awkard if he spends time with my wife outside without me or my mum.