Us Navy Ship Stuck On Coral Reef In Philippines

News_Editor

The USS Guardian is seen in a March 11, 2011 Navy file photo.
2.-AP-180113-Philippines.jpg

The USS Guardian is seen in a March 11, 2011 Navy file photo.

MANILA, Philippines — A US Navy minesweeper was stuck on a coral reef in the Philippines for a second day Friday, as the crew struggled to extract the ship and Philippine authorities tried to evaluate damage to a protected marine park.

The Navy’s 7th Fleet said in a statement that the crew of the USS Guardian was working to find out the best method of safely extracting the ship. Winds and waves were stronger Friday and may make it more difficult to free the ship, Philippine officials said.

It had just completed a port call in Subic Bay, a former American naval base west of the Philippine capital, when it hit the reef on Thursday in the Tubbataha National Marine Park, a World Heritage Site in the Sulu Sea, 640 km southwest of Manila.

The ship was not listing or leaking oil but its bow struck the reef, said Angelique Songco, head of the government’s Protected Area Management Board, after flying over the ship in a Philippine Air Force plane. “[The ship] does not appear to be damaged.â€

She said it was unclear how much of the reef was damaged. She said the government imposes a fine of about $300 per square meter of damaged coral.

In 2005, the environmental group Greenpeace was fined almost $7,000 after its flagship struck a reef in the same area.

The World Wide Fund for Nature Philippines said in a statement that according to an initial ocular inspection, the 68-meter long, 1,300-ton Guardian damaged at least 10 meters of the reef.

Songco said that park rangers were not allowed to board the ship for inspection and were told to contact the US Embassy in Manila. Their radio calls to the ship were ignored, she said.

The Tubbataha Reef is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the Coral Triangle, the world’s cradle of marine life. It is off-limits to fishing and the collection of corals, wildlife and any marine life is prohibited. In 1992, UNESCO designated the reef as a World Heritage Site.

US Navy ships have stepped up visits to Philippine ports for refueling, rest and recreation, and joint military exercises as a result of a redeployment of US forces in the Asia-Pacific region. The Philippines, a US defense treaty ally, has been entangled in a territorial dispute with China in the South China Sea.

Source: Irrawaddy.org

How the hell can a mine sweeper go on the rocks?? Mine sweepers have the most sophisticated sonar in the navy to detect mines. Maybe someone was asleep at the wheel?? or as they say 'only in the Philippines'.

$300m X 10m = $3000 fine wow. They say EVERYthing is cheap in the Philippians wink.png I should go check her out again. .,

A Philippine national at the Helm of a US Naval vessel?

Are the Phillipine authorities at fault for having a stiff fine for damaging a valuable asset?

What's the big deal in removing it from the reef?? There is so much damage on most of the reefs in the Phil already from the dynamite and cyanide fishing that I've witnessed myself on inter island plane trips that one little scar will recover faster than the damage that the locals have caused over the years. There are areas of reef there that are totally dead of any life. Just get the boat off before there are fuel leaks and real damage .....why the delay??