400 Baht Fines At Villa?

Jerry Cornelius

Sorry to upset your American bashing, but as I'm American and care a great deal about the environment, ( in fact I don't even use AC at my home in Thailand ) - I submit your bigotry is misguided.

Sorry to ask, but how long have you been in Thailand?

If I would get 400 Baht for every stinking Diesel pickup that is running unattended on our local Tesco parking lot, it would not a need a pension.

One of the annoying daily experiences: running motors with no sense.

My big applause to Villa market for this tiny bit of awareness!

And if read the other posts, I realize that many must be from US citizens who don't care about fuel gussling and spoiling the environment.

That is one of the common habits with Thais.

On the other hand: the signs being in english only would be a harsh kind of discrimation.

@Jerry Cornelius: you habe doublechecked that? Can you read Thai?

Where is this Tesco with the car engine runners?

I am living in the "Isan jungle" near Chum Phae, 80 km west of Khon Kaen.

Maybe I gone open my ears and nose to find more examples.

Right, it's probably an "Isaan thing" then - I've never seen this odd behaviour anywhere in Bangkok. I've been to Isaan plenty of times but only once been to Tesco, in Det Udom in this case: it was a hellish experience that I'm in no rush to repeat. Didn't notice any cars in the car park with their engines running though (not that I was looking out for it, of course).

Sorry to upset your American bashing, but as I'm American and care a great deal about the environment, ( in fact I don't even use AC at my home in Thailand ) - I submit your bigotry is misguided.

Good to know, that there are people who think different!

Wish there were more people like you, but change is slow.

• 4 months later...

I still wonder how could a private place fine you except in their dreams ?

I apologise for a prolonged absence, but sometimes life has other priorities.

We had reason to call in at Villa in Hua Hin last weekend and all the afore mentioned signage had been removed.

Don't know why. Don't know when. but they're gone.

Draw your owjn conclusions.

Jerry

Why would anyone want to park their car with the engine running anyway? Seems like a pretty obscure and odd thing to be fining people for, can't imagine they'll get much income from it.

If I would get 400 Baht for every stinking Diesel pickup that is running unattended on our local Tesco parking lot, it would not a need a pension.

And if read the other posts, I realize that many must be from US citizens who don't care about fuel gussling and spoiling the environment.

On the other hand: the signs being in english only would be a harsh kind of discrimation.

Well, that was a fairly ignorant thing to say. Too bad you can't spell either.

As far as the 400 baht fine, if the sign was only in English, then it's just another farang tax. If they were to try and impose it on me, they would have a hard time collecting.

Why would anyone want to park their car with the engine running anyway? Seems like a pretty obscure and odd thing to be fining people for, can't imagine they'll get much income from it.

Yes I do.

Although I must admit it takes me a while.

In any case I would recognise Thai script on any signage. Which there wasn't.

I didn't and don't have a major issue with any well intentioned sentiment behind such signage, but practicallity must prevail.

It would appear that this was just some isolationist (or minority) attempt to impose their view (of how things should be) onto the majority,

Jerry

How can a private company collect a fine?

If that is allowed then why not just go stand outside any shop and when a person leaves the car running just tell them you want 400bt.

But I guess it is a moot point now that the signs are all down.

How can a private company collect a fine?

If that is allowed then why not just go stand outside any shop and when a person leaves the car running just tell them you want 400bt.

But I guess it is a moot point now that the signs are all down.

Totally agree. Hence the opening post.

I also said that I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of thing in Europe.

Jerry

Parking attending muppets at Villa Phuket, are notorious for BS from my experience.

Parked bike was in wrong area apparently, surrounded my bike with cones and signs, and started the whole You You on returning. Demanding money

Car out front picking up cases of beer, wife told cannot despite In Thai pointing out what we was doing.Reply was go 7 not here then <deleted>

Twice now found security guards asleep in back of truck on returning.

Countless times told to move bike or get fined, my bike is amongst literally 30 or 40 others all Thai who could park with impunity.

Muppets

Parking attending muppets at Villa Phuket, are notorious for BS from my experience.

Parked bike was in wrong area apparently, surrounded my bike with cones and signs, and started the whole You You on returning. Demanding money

Car out front picking up cases of beer, wife told cannot despite In Thai pointing out what we was doing.Reply was go 7 not here then <deleted>

Twice now found security guards asleep in back of truck on returning.

Countless times told to move bike or get fined, my bike is amongst literally 30 or 40 others all Thai who could park with impunity.

Muppets

Not good experiences, Fortunately, we haven't had any experiences like that at any Villa market including the one at Chalong, but hey!! that doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen.It looks like we have just been lucky. I do wonder what will/would actually happen if you called the bluff of Kermit and his cohorts.

We actually visit Villa a lot as they stock quite a few brands that we like. I have never seen such signage anywhere else in Thailand and Hua Hin seems to have been unique, in that respect.

Jerry

because of Air con,

In the northern US we leave the engine running while we run into a store during extreme cold spells. We do this because if we turn off the engine the battery will freeze and the diesel will gel. Turn off your engine and you won't be able to start the truck until the thaw. Glo plugs don't work if the battery is a block of ice. We can turn the engine off at home because there is an electric heater in the engine that we plug in to an extention cord running to the house.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

I still wonder how could a private place fine you except in their dreams ?

I apologise for a prolonged absence, but sometimes life has other priorities.

We had reason to call in at Villa in Hua Hin last weekend and all the afore mentioned signage had been removed.

Don't know why. Don't know when. but they're gone.

Draw your owjn conclusions.

Jerry

This thread wasn't interesting the first time 'round...