The Worst Type Of Falang And Thai....

krisb

My wife wonders why I don't hang out with expats too much these days....well you're a prime example of why I don't...

You certainly spend enough time posting on this expat-dominated forum, (presumably when not on the bottle, that is).

i have not seen many expats not on the bottle, seems to be a requirement.

At least I am an "expat" i.e. someone with a proper job and not just some loser playing at TEFL, "Muay Thai" or scraping by on a meagre pension...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife wonders why I don't hang out with expats too much these days....well you're a prime example of why I don't...

You certainly spend enough time posting on this expat-dominated forum, (presumably when not on the bottle, that is).

You could check out the I drink too much forum. http://www.thaivisa....too-much-forum/

thanks mate bute i see enough of them staggering around, don't wish to read about them as well.

You could check out the I drink too much forum. http://www.thaivisa....too-much-forum/

thanks mate bute i see enough of them staggering around, don't wish to read about them as well.

Many who don't drink post on http://www.thaivisa....too-much-forum/ in an effort to help those who think they drink too much.

Its nice to know some have similar thoughts as myself. Some choose to be quite heartless when they choose to look the other way, or mind their own business or even some call it not being a 'real man' for god sakes.

What would you do if you saw for example a man hitting a women? would you look the other way? mind your own business? or do something about it?

What would you do if you saw someone mistreating a child? still mind your own business? Sorry but I just cant. Its not me.

I saw a 20 something Thai guy slapping his gf around on beachroad in Patong a couple years ago. I went to intervene and my Thai friends held me back. No, don't they said. I was disgusted at the time saying we had to do something. Well, I was wrong and they were right. What I missed is that several Thais were watching and were gathering, giving their looks of disapproval. The Thai guy got the message and calmed down, and the girl and guy drove off on their motorbike. I noticed it after I was restrained and standing there. Had I intervened, I probably would have gotten into a fight and been stabbed or something.

My point is that Thais do some things differently and intervene differently. What foreigners like me see as indifference, isn't. One thing I have learnt over the years is that Thais do have compassion and will share with those in trouble or that do not have. There is an inherent goodness that most likely comes from previous centuries of subsistence living where people had to get along and help each other or would perish. It is an ingrained part of the culture, albeit eroding in urban areas. In Thailand, things are often not as they look. There are always nuances and back stories that most of us foreigners do not readily grasp.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Getting drunk is fun. Only people who suck at having a good time look down on it.

Many millions of people have health problems and can't drink. And many more have broken up families and harmed children and wives beyond repair. I don't really think you should paint all people who don't drink with the same brush. Some are happy and some are not.

Getting drunk is fun. Only people who suck at having a good time look down on it.

What a crass and hypocritical comment, since you are putting non-drinkers down. Yeah, getting drinking can be fun, but there is far more to life, and getting rat-arsed lost a lot of its appeal on reaching the legal age to drink.

As CMK said some people had to give up for health reasons.... I was one of those. But your post implies that drinking is THE way to have a good time, which is not so. For some, they loosen up with drink and have fun, nothing wrong in that, within reason, unless a person thinks they cannot have fun without alcohol. At that point, alcohol dependency is an issue.

Its nice to know some have similar thoughts as myself. Some choose to be quite heartless when they choose to look the other way, or mind their own business or even some call it not being a 'real man' for god sakes.

What would you do if you saw for example a man hitting a women? would you look the other way? mind your own business? or do something about it?

What would you do if you saw someone mistreating a child? still mind your own business? Sorry but I just cant. Its not me.

I saw a 20 something Thai guy slapping his gf around on beachroad in Patong a couple years ago. I went to intervene and my Thai friends held me back. No, don't they said. I was disgusted at the time saying we had to do something. Well, I was wrong and they were right. What I missed is that several Thais were watching and were gathering, giving their looks of disapproval. The Thai guy got the message and calmed down, and the girl and guy drove off on their motorbike. I noticed it after I was restrained and standing there. Had I intervened, I probably would have gotten into a fight and been stabbed or something.

My point is that Thais do some things differently and intervene differently. What foreigners like me see as indifference, isn't. One thing I have learnt over the years is that Thais do have compassion and will share with those in trouble or that do not have. There is an inherent goodness that most likely comes from previous centuries of subsistence living where people had to get along and help each other or would perish. It is an ingrained part of the culture, albeit eroding in urban areas. In Thailand, things are often not as they look. There are always nuances and back stories that most of us foreigners do not readily grasp.

Oh please spare us this myopic and silly nonsense about inherent goodness.Thais have many qualities - a grace in interpersonal relationships. loyalty and devotion to family but in terms of broader concern with the community they lag far behind.

That really is a superb post. The key to it all is Theravada Buddhism.

At least I am an "expat" i.e. someone with a proper job and not just some loser playing at TEFL, "Muay Thai" or scraping by on a meagre pension...

so only expats have proper jobs, only drinkers can have fun, and all men have married bar girls in your opinion.

reading what you have written I would almost doubt your old enough to drink.