Diabetic Food Shops In Pattaya Or Bkk

edd

diabetic with a reading of 5.7 ?

When I had a UK meter my Dr said to try and aim for 12 or under......... that was about 12 years ago..

12 for what? If your Doctor told you that he needs to be struck off. The 'normal' fasting blood glucose is about 5.5. Bloodsugar101 gives three measurements that should be aimed for:

7.7 - 1 hour post prandial

6.6 - 2 hours PP

5.5 - Fasting

diabetic with a reading of 5.7 ?

When I had a UK meter my Dr said to try and aim for 12 or under......... that was about 12 years ago..

12 for what? If your Doctor told you that he needs to be struck off. The 'normal' fasting blood glucose is about 5.5. Bloodsugar101 gives three measurements that should be aimed for:

7.7 - 1 hour post prandial

6.6 - 2 hours PP

5.5 - Fasting

Easy numbers to remember.

My Endo has me working to these numbers:

American Diabetes Assoc. 80-120 - before meals <160 - 2 hours after meals 100-140 - at bed time

Why do you need an "Endo"? Surely you can work this out on your own without the extra expense of an expert who is probably behind the times. Medical experts have to be very conservative when adopting new ideas from recent research. By nature of the medical profession they don't have the luxury of being flexible. They have to abide by conventional medical practices.

I would consider <160 mg/dl at 2 hours to be a very poor goal. I aim for <120 mg/dl after 1 hour and <100 mg/dl at 2 hours. My goal would be 90 - 100 mg/dl between meals and ultimately FBS of 80 - 90 mg/dl but I don't obsess about FBS.

I'm almost there. My first FBS back in 2005 was 255 mg/dl, so I've come a long way.

My goals are to have optimal blood sugar levels. Your endo is trying to get you into the "normal" zone.

Edited by tropo

My Endo has me working to these numbers:

American Diabetes Assoc. 80-120 - before meals <160 - 2 hours after meals 100-140 - at bed time

Why do you need an "Endo"? Surely you can work this out on your own without the extra expense of an expert who is probably behind the times. Medical experts have to be very conservative when adopting new ideas from recent research. By nature of the medical profession they don't have the luxury of being flexible. They have to abide by conventional medical practices.

I would consider <160 mg/dl at 2 hours to be a very poor goal. I aim for <120 mg/dl after 1 hour and <100 mg/dl at 2 hours. My goal would be 90 - 100 mg/dl between meals and ultimately FBS of 80 - 90 mg/dl but I don't obsess about FBS.

I'm almost there. My first FBS back in 2005 was 255 mg/dl, so I've come a long way.

My goals are to have optimal blood sugar levels. Your endo is trying to get you into the "normal" zone.

If I get sick with something new I tend to consult the medical profession for guuidance, at least in the first instance, it usually beats getting advice over the internet! As things progress I can take an informed view of what I think is appropriate and what might be able to be improved on, thus far my endo. has made some very positive recommendations and her strategy seems eminently sensible - plenty of regular exercise, low glycemic foods, smaller meals more often, frequent testing and review, record all test results and so on, for someone who is very new to the world of diabetes its actually very usefull to have such seemingly obvious tasks endorsed by the medical profession. And the recommendations she's made have yielded results as can be seen by the drop in the fasting glucose levels ten day rolling average and the trend line.

As for the targets and goals, I don't think my endo is currently trying to get me anywhdere at present, I think what she (and I) are trying to do is to assess where we are and what direction we're headed. Reference has been made to the goals I posted but only on an indicative basis, at our next meeting we will sit down and review the data that's been collected and I think that will be the time to set goals et al. One of the issue to be discussed is how to treat overnight highs vs day time highs, my numbers during the day can be quite good if managed yet my middle of the night numbers can be scary and it doesn;t seem that they are influenced by diet or exercise whereas the day time numbers are.

Finally, in looking back through my numbers it looks like my 35 day fasting average is 118, if home testers are inaccurate by say 10% that average could be reduced to 106 which correlates with the A1C results of 5.9.

Edited by chiang mai

If I get sick with something new I tend to consult the medical profession for guuidance, at least in the first instance, it usually beats getting advice over the internet!

thumbsup.gif

The medical profession in the UK insist that consuming carbohydrates as 60% of your diabetic diet and having an HBa1C of 7% is ok. They also accept the fact that there's a 'normal' diabetic pathway to blindness, neuropathy and amputation that can't be avoided if you can't better these figures.

I go for diabetic reviews and am constantly chided about my 'poor' diet, my refusal to obey medical advice and my living my life around the numbers that my BG meter gives me.

When I point out that I have the same numbers as a non-diabetic I'm ignored.

Screw them! If they're wrong it's not their legs that will be chopped off and it's not their eyes that will no longer work.

I use the same meters that they do. The difference is that I take notice of what the meters say.

• Like 1

If I get sick with something new I tend to consult the medical profession for guuidance, at least in the first instance, it usually beats getting advice over the internet!

thumbsup.gif

The medical profession in the UK insist that consuming carbohydrates as 60% of your diabetic diet and having an HBa1C of 7% is ok. They also accept the fact that there's a 'normal' diabetic pathway to blindness, neuropathy and amputation that can't be avoided if you can't better these figures.

I go for diabetic reviews and am constantly chided about my 'poor' diet, my refusal to obey medical advice and my living my life around the numbers that my BG meter gives me.

When I point out that I have the same numbers as a non-diabetic I'm ignored.

Screw them! If they're wrong it's not their legs that will be chopped off and it's not their eyes that will no longer work.

I use the same meters that they do. The difference is that I take notice of what the meters say.

I think we're all saying mostly the same thing here, test, self test, understand and remember the numbers and take action based on them? The only difference between us all seems to be what the ideal numbers might be and since I'm still in the very early days of this whole thing, my jury is still out. It's also helpful if a person can get proactive support from the medical profession which I think I have although Endure appears to be not as lucky in this respect. There's also the aspect of not putting all your eggs in one basket, personally I would no more follow the advice solely of an endo nor solely of forums such as this, given the stakes it's appropriate to consider all sensible sources.

On that note and in respect of the usefullness of the A1C test: I see on the internet that there's two bloggers (one copying the other) talking about this subject but I don't see anything from any medical body doing the same, even the Mayo which is usually at the cuting edge of things doesn't mention it and I wonder why that is, are they afraid of mass hysteria if the word gets out or is it a conspiracy theory to reduce the planets population, I don't mean to make light of such a serious subject but I think you can see my point, anyone?

Edited by chiang mai

I find it all very confusing, the more you read the more confusing it gets.......... 1.000's of pages on the internet....... many say different things, just this morning reading NHS website, the aim for Diabetic control UK is between 10 and 12.......

Asia, and these meters, Japan, and others " Well-controlled diabetes range 130 - 180 " at 2 hours after meals... many say much lower ?

On here and other website more or less say the same, and 'endure' say's 'Doctor told you that he needs to be struck off'

Is it different Countries ? different Meters ? or why is there such a huge difference ? and what to believe ? I have/am Diabetic and have been for 16 years... Maybe it is to do with your size, body frame ?

I would be classed as Obese but am same size weight as when 18, now in my 60"s

Edited by ignis

I find it all very confusing, the more you read the more confusing it gets.......... 1.000's of pages on the internet....... many say different things, just this morning reading NHS website, the aim for Diabetic control UK is between 10 and 12.......

Asia, and these meters, Japan, and others " Well-controlled diabetes range 130 - 180 " at 2 hours after meals... many say much lower ?

On here and other website more or less say the same, and 'endure' say's 'Doctor told you that he needs to be struck off'

Is it different Countries ? different Meters ? or why is there such a huge difference ? and what to believe ? I have/am Diabetic and have been for 16 years... Maybe it is to do with your size, body frame ?

I would be classed as Obese but am same size weight as when 18, now in my 60"s

You may be the same weight/size Ignis but you'r metabolism has slowed (by virtue of age) by what, 25% or more, that's the difference I think.

are they afraid of mass hysteria if the word gets out or is it a conspiracy theory to reduce the planets population,

I've read some convincing arguments that low carbohydrate diets and all the testing have very little real effect on controlling diabetes caused diseases in the long run and that is why doctors often advise against self-testing for type 2 diabetics. It does seem strange that so many doctors object to it.

are they afraid of mass hysteria if the word gets out or is it a conspiracy theory to reduce the planets population,

I've read some convincing arguments that low carbohydrate diets and all the testing have very little real effect on controlling diabetes caused diseases in the long run and that is why doctors often advise against self-testing for type 2 diabetics. It does seem strange that so many doctors object to it.

I accept that we can't avoid the inevitable but we have a duty to try and delay it for as long as we can, perhaps not everyone is comfortable with that knowledge.

thumbsup.gif

Regarding Diabetes I disagree that the medical profession is better than "advice over the internet".

This is where people with diabetes should spend their time:

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/

There are separate sub forums for type 1, type 1.5, type 2 and pre-diabetes.

You can't beat talking to real people who live with diabetes. There are some extremely knowledgeable people here.

On that note and in respect of the usefullness of the A1C test: I see on the internet that there's two bloggers (one copying the other) talking about this subject but I don't see anything from any medical body doing the same, even the Mayo which is usually at the cuting edge of things doesn't mention it and I wonder why that is, are they afraid of mass hysteria if the word gets out or is it a conspiracy theory to reduce the planets population, I don't mean to make light of such a serious subject but I think you can see my point, anyone?

Did you miss this link?:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full

HbA1c testing may be useful as a comparative tool to measure your own changes in blood sugar but as an absolute measurement I think it is limited and I don't think it is useful for diagnosis.

As I indicated in another post. A friend had an HbA1c identical to mine in a recent test, yet he was spiking up to nearly 200 mg/dl after small carb meals whereas mine is usually below 110 mg/dl after meals. My FBS is about 25 - 30 mg/dl lower than his too.... YET WE HAVE THE SAME HbA1c result.

Note: He has a normal HbA1c result (5.7%), but testing indicates he is pre-diabetic bordering on diabetic.

I think doctors like these tests because they are very easy (no fasting required) compared to the old OGTT testing.

I don't need any info from the Mayo Clinic to know that this testing is flawed.

thumbsup.gif

Regarding Diabetes I disagree that the medical profession is better than "advice over the internet".

You can't beat talking to real people who live with diabetes. There are some extremely knowledgeable people here.

Maybe good if you understand what lots of the post are even talking about........... word I have never heard off........ Google some of them even more confused....

So people with Type 2 taking injections ? using Insulin pump with humalog.. Never heard of.

No idea what this 'boluses' is that is being talked about ? So search 'Define boluses' = even more confused as answer = Veterinary Medicine sad.png Why are people taking medication for a Cow ?

Time to go and water the garden before I get even more confused.

Basal and bolus are two different forms of insulin. Basal is long acting and is usually administered once a day. It provides a base level of insulin that lasts all day long. A bolus dose is short acting insulin that is administered with a meal to counteract the rise in BG that the meal will provoke.

Basal and bolus are two different forms of insulin. Basal is long acting and is usually administered once a day. It provides a base level of insulin that lasts all day long. A bolus dose is short acting insulin that is administered with a meal to counteract the rise in BG that the meal will provoke.

Are you injecting insulin?

People are not always aware that when type 2 diabetes becomes too severe insulin injections become the only option. This happens when blood sugar lowering medicine is not longer effective.

There's also a type 1.5

This is when insulin supply is limited and insulin resistance is present.

It's always a good idea for prediabetics to get an insulin C-peptide test to check on the insulin production.

No I'm diet only. I was just providing ignis with a bit of info. It's not difficult to get your head round. As I've said my favourite site is bloodsugar101.com. She's also written a book which lays everything out in an easy to understand manner. She does know what she's talking about. She's diabetic herself.

All I know is that when I know a lot about something and look at what people say on the internet, the vast majority are full of sh*t. I don't trust the advice on these websites over medical professionals like the Mayo clinic.

All I know is that when I know a lot about something and look at what people say on the internet, the vast majority are full of sh*t. I don't trust the advice on these websites over medical professionals like the Mayo clinic.

Well thus far the internet advice is correct in terms of a low glycemic diet but there again my Endo. advised the same thing at our first meeting, for what it's worth my numbers have improved as a result and have changed thus:

Fasting - from an average 122 down to 115

2 hours after breakfast - 152 down to 125

2 hours after lunch remains the same at 135

2 hours after dinner down from 132 to 118.

The above over a period of four weeks eating very little that is higher than 50 on the GI scale and zero meds.

Edited by chiang mai

What is "poor" about your diet according to these people and what medical advice do you ignore?

I'm really interested in your opinions and observations on diabetes, but I do not understand why the websites you guys recommend are so at odds with what most medical doctors say.

Well thus far the internet advice is correct in terms of a low glycemic diet

I don't think that there is any doubt about a low carb diet, but how low is in question. The recommended websites dispute the Mayo Clinic and the ADA and I do not think that these diabetes doctors are involved in some sort of conspiracy to promote bad advice.

Do you know about Glycemic load?I get the idea that it is more accurate than the Glycemic index and some of the foods that look bad on the index are not so bad if eaten in moderation (bananas and pineapple for example).

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well thus far the internet advice is correct in terms of a low glycemic diet

I don't think that there is any doubt about a low carb diet, but how low is in question. The recommended sites dispute the Mayo Clinic and the ADA and I do not think that they are involved in some sort of conspiracy to promote bad advice.

Do you know about Glycemic load?I get the idea that it is more accurate than the Glycemic index and some of the foods that look bad on the index are not so bad (if eaten in moderation) after all (bananas and pineapple for example).

I'm refering to a low glycemic diet rather than a low carb diet, the dietary changes I have made don't involve eating fewer carbs, simply that the ones I do eat are no higher than 50 on the glycemic scale.

Yes I am aware of glycemic load and you are correct that it appears to be a more reliable number, as soon as I read up on the subject and figure it out I will use it. Currently however I'm still comming to terms with this whole scenario so I'm treading softly and slowly. FWIW, the downside to pineapple and bannans for me is the calorie content which means you don't have to eat a lot before gaining weight (another popular myth destroyed) - that weight gain leads to metabolic syndrome (which I developed but shed last year) and thus onto diabetes.

I'm refering to a low glycemic diet rather than a low carb diet, the dietary changes I have made don't involve eating fewer carbs, simply that the ones I do eat are no higher than 50 on the glycemic scale.

You have improved your numbers significantly without lowering carbs, but eating only foods below 50 on the glycemic index? Now,that is interesting.

Edited by Ulysses G.