Woman Executed With Single Gunshot To Head: Phuket

webfact

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These recent evens in Phuket sure make PATTAYA look like a much better alternative, huh ? ? ?

I've lived in Pattaya for 21 years, because of the very mild crime-rate and the many 'family-activities' available here; not even to mention the splendid sailing ! !

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Its the way people get ahead in business.

Eliminate the competition.

Yes, but it could also be from a failed relationship.

Yes, the top 2 reasons to call in the hit man - love and/or business ie money.

RIP the unlucky lady.

Basically, love - including love of money. sad.png

In thailand love of face is also very powerful, certainly enough to murder

Another day on the island of crime and death.

Of course, this happens at every top holiday destination in the world.

(Had to say that or this may turn into another Phuket bashing thread).

RIP poor lady.

Could be worse - you could live in New Orleans, with the highest murder rate of any city outside Latin America - with 58 murders per 100,000 population. I bet Phuket seems pretty safe compared to that.

Why aren't the US authorities doing more to clean up the murder rate? And why aren't Embassies around the world warning tourists about the high murder rate in the USA? Shocking.

New Orleans has a terrible murder rate, but most of it tied to local gangs and wars over drug turf. It has one of the highest poverty rates and lowest average income rates in the USA too, this being in one of the most historical places in the US. Very sad indeed. BUT, how many of those murders are against tourists?

In Phuket, a very high number of murders, and other serious crimes, as well as minor swindling and scamming, is against foreigners. Foreigners are openly targeted in Phuket, and the underworld criminal elements have lost respect for tourism and the additional income it provides. If the crime continues in Phuket, the days of anyone caring about taxi mafias, who is having a party on the beach, and who is killing each other over prime position real estate are over - families and other wealthy people who come to Phuket WILL go elsewhere. Nothing is worth risking your life for. Especially not a holiday in Phuket when many other fine places exist both in and outside of Thailand.

These recent evens in Phuket sure make PATTAYA look like a much better alternative, huh ? ? ?

I've lived in Pattaya for 21 years, because of the very mild crime-rate and the many 'family-activities' available here; not even to mention the splendid sailing ! !

thumbsup.gif

Dear oh dear. I would advise anyone to have a look at the Pattaya Daily News website to discount the 'family activities' scenario illusion alluded to here, unless of course you're into same sex on the beach (not a cocktail in this instance), drugged katoeys robbing tourists, and hit and run motorists. Oh well, it takes all kinds......

In Phuket, a very high number of murders, and other serious crimes, as well as minor swindling and scamming, is against foreigners.

Actually, no. Most serious crimes (murder, extortion, rape, robbery etc) are Thais on Thais. Of course, when foreigners are involved, there is much broader publicity. There is a culture of prostitution and gambling (as an example) that exists for Thais with Thais in any area (and particularly Phuket) that is much larger than that which exists for foreigners.

thumbsup.gif

Dear oh dear. I would advise anyone to have a look at the Pattaya Daily News website to discount the 'family activities' scenario illusion alluded to here, unless of course you're into same sex on the beach (not a cocktail in this instance), drugged katoeys robbing tourists, and hit and run motorists. Oh well, it takes all kinds......

I just took a quick look at the Pattaya Daily News website and, of the 10 latest news stories showing on their main page, 5 refer to Phuket. Two of the other five are about the pimping of underage girls but one is in Rayong and the other Bangkok.

Edited by Orac

Back to this particular subject. It's very unusual where a proved 'execution/assassination' has occurred, that only one round has been fired. Someone who's being paid for the job will typically make sure that it's done, with several rounds let off. In this instance, one round fired through a (reflected) tinted window at night, doesn't sound like a 'must do or I don't get paid' scenario. Again, this is a busy traffic light junction, and at that time of night there's going to be lots of witnesses. Hardly the best location for a 'hit'.

Whatever the circumstances, sad in the extreme for a lady going home from work.

I just took a quick look at the Pattaya Daily News website and, of the 10 latest news stories showing on their main page, 5 refer to Phuket. Two of the other five are about the pimping of underage girls but one is in Rayong and the other Bangkok.

OK, a quiet day in Pattaya, and without wishing to prolong the comparison too much, of the 5 mentions of Phuket that are there, 1 is for this particular story, another is the Frenchman who is accused of rape in France, another the taxi driver who crashed/died near the airport, the Phuket hotel robbery, and the Phuket hospital appealing for blood.

Pattaya offers us the Police shooting at a drunken Dane's truck, and the 1000 strong crowd who tried to beat to death the confessed killer of a Pattaya beauty shop owner.

You've only looked at the first 10, scroll down and check the rest of it out, and keep in mind that Phuket is a province, not a large town such as Pattaya.

• Like 1

RIP poor lady.

Could be worse - you could live in New Orleans, with the highest murder rate of any city outside Latin America - with 58 murders per 100,000 population. I bet Phuket seems pretty safe compared to that.

Why aren't the US authorities doing more to clean up the murder rate? And why aren't Embassies around the world warning tourists about the high murder rate in the USA? Shocking.

Very good point.

Always gotta bring it back to the U.S., huh ?

Nice.

Thanks...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

She was not executed, she was murdered; there is a difference.

Good point. With all the legitimate speculation on this thread that it could have been a lover's quarrel, road rage, etc. etc., the use of "Executed" in the thread title and article is a bit over-dramatic considering lack of proof of motive at this early stage.

Just a cheap journalistic ploy to boost readers. Disgusting word choice, really. sad.png

The executed was driving a car which tells me she possibly was a business owner or into real estate. Most tourists don't drive.

This is really sad and I think everyone should be aware of the potential consequences of doing business in Thailand.

Personally I would never have a business here, this kind of thing just scares me. Really shocking how 'out in the open' and

in your face this can be. RIP wai2.gif

The executed was driving a car which tells me she possibly was a business owner or into real estate. Most tourists don't drive.

This is really sad and I think everyone should be aware of the potential consequences of doing business in Thailand.

Personally I would never have a business here, this kind of thing just scares me. Really shocking how 'out in the open' and

You really need to read the story in full. The lady was a Human Resources professional who's worked for several high end hotels in Phuket, and at the time of death was employed by the Hilton in Karon. She may well have had other business interests as well, but again at the time of death was returning home from work. You obviously don't know any professional Thais here, all of whom drive cars. Motorbikes are for 'worker' Thais and tourists.

RIP poor lady.

USA has totalt murders up to 10 000 people of 300 mill people, Thailand has 31 000 murders on 70 mill people..

Its the way people get ahead in business.

Eliminate the competition.

Eliminate Guns in the first place would cure the problem.........

Absolutely no need for anyone to have handguns and rifles etc...................

Complete Ban and a mandatory 25 year sentance for anyone subsequently found with one......

• Like 2

You really need to read the story in full. The lady was a Human Resources professional who's worked for several high end hotels in Phuket, and at the time of death was employed by the Hilton in Karon. She may well have had other business interests as well, but again at the time of death was returning home from work. You obviously don't know any professional Thais here, all of whom drive cars. Motorbikes are for 'worker' Thais and tourists.

misreading something does not mean I don't know any professional Thais. Most of the Thais I know have cars or trucks or both.

I misread it, you don't have to nasty.

Most of the Thais I know have cars or trucks or both.

I misread it, you don't have to nasty.

Good, then you understand what I mean. My apologies if you think I am being 'nasty' however, anyone can take short excerpts of a story and make it something that it's not (as you attempted to do). Whilst the reporting in local news media is not always completely accurate, it does not warrant speculation unless you have something constructive and more truthful to offer.

Edited by pagallim

Tonight's murder comes while hundreds of officers have been posted on the island to boost safety in Phuket through a 30-day blitz on crime.

And after 30 days?

Crime is usually less after a 30-day blitz on crime, because many criminals get caught and locked up, so they aren't around to commit more crimes. Often it's a small minority that commit a lot of crimes. Remove them, and crime can drop drastically. It's just not practical to have a perpetual blitz on crime. And it's a bit pointless and a waste of money.

If you put many of the Thai people I have met here in Phuket into the crime-ridden environment of New Orleans (in the violent areas), and you gave them guns, and took away the pretense of religiousness, you would see them quickly fit right into that violent society.

"and took away the pretense of religiousness"

Kind of a stupid statement take any kind of person and put them into that kind of society and take away what ever it is that stops them from being that way and they will fit right in.

Sounds like Thai Bashing to me.

• Like 1

RIP poor lady.

If you want to stop the crime in Phuket, don't try to stop the public debate or the public awareness of the crime in Phuket. There is only so much you can bury under the rug before the lump is visible...thumbsup.gif

"Tonight's murder comes while hundreds of officers have been posted on the island to boost safety in Phuket through a 30-day blitz on crime"

Sorry to hear that, may she rest in peace. A 30 day blitz on crime as the 3 month drug war by Thaksin?wai2.gif

Everyday The Same story.... Violence in Phuket, good for The image ....

Everyday the same story, in every town and city anywhere in the world. The possible difference in Thailand in general and Phuket in particular, is that there's typically a reason behind the violence (robbery etc). Too often in my home country, and most of the other countries that we expats on this forum consider 'home', violence occurs for no reason other than looking at somebody the wrong way, or an abandoned mental health patient decides to exact 'revenge'.

Our supposedly (Western) civilised societies report far more sickening news of atrocities every week than I read about life in Thailand. Just this week, reading about 'loving parents' kicking to death their 2 year old son, the gang who traded girls living in so called 'care', as young as 11 years old for prostitution, etc etc.

Easy to take the moral high ground, but many of us forget the societies that we left to live here, and selective memory isn't always going to reflect the reality or balance the comparison.

• Like 2

RIP.

Words fail me as to what is becoming of this place.

Saw a travel programme on BBC World TV which warned of rip offs, mafia (police) etc in Phuket and the fact that some embassies have issued warnings. Not the best ad for the Land of Scams

• Like 1

Phuket woman executed was beloved mother, wife, friend

Phuket Gazette

w.jpg

Mrs Jintana ‘Nong’ Mahattanapak, 42, is remembered as a beloved wife, a mother of two daughters, and 'a good person, always very kind'. Photo: Linked In

PHUKET: -- The life of a beloved mother, wife and friend was taken away by a killer on Chao Fa West Road, south of Phuket Town, last night.

Police have identified Mrs Jintana ‘Nong’ Mahattanapak, 42, a resident of Yaowarat Road in Phuket Town, as the victim of the execution-style slaying (story here).

Mrs Jintana was director of Human Resources at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort and Spa in Karon.

She would have celebrated her 43rd birthday in two weeks, on February 4.

A co-worker remembered her today as “a good person, always very kind to me and other people.

She always said good things about her husband and her two little girls.”

Mrs Jintana had a teenager and a daughter less than 10 years old. She and her husband were regular church-goers, attending services multiple times a week, the colleague said.

“I was very shocked and sad since I knew her personally too, not just at work. I’m still processing the situation. I just found out this morning,” the co-worker added. “I feel very sad for the family.”

At this stage, the Hilton Phuket Arcadia, one of the longest-standing major resorts at Karon Beach and the largest resort on the island, has yet to release a statement concerning Mrs Jintana’s death.

Before joining the Hilton, Mrs Jintana was the Human Resources Director at Anantara Phuket Villas in the north of the island.

Matthew Fryar, as Resident Manager at Anantara Hotels & Resorts & Resorts Pvt. Ltd, posted on Her Linked in profile page: “Jintana showed great knowledge, compassion and commitment to her colleagues and those who were new to our company at the time. Her knowledge of the local community and willingness to help out in negotiations were invaluable to our continued success.”

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...iend-20007.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-19