Online Business For Retirees

CeeBee

I am about to apply for a retirement visa and move to Thailand. As I understand it, this type of visa does not allow me to work.

On TV I have seen several rather vague references to online businesses which can be run from home and provide a steady income stream with Adwords/Google searches. Is there anybody who is actually doing this and willing to share the secrets?

By contemplating to retire in Thailand there are a few strict rules:

- The money for your monthly expenses (as a base) must come from your home country. 100 %

If you want to play around by way of internet to open up other sources of income, regard it as a hobby but not as a source of income to supplement a possibly modest pension.

- Many have tried. There are few success stories with regard of Farangs in "Early-Pension-Mode" for whatever reasons, that have been able to supplement their income by way of internet commerce.

If it was easy and doable, every unmarried Male over 45 originating from Europe would be sitting comfortably in Thailand and earning their living here by sitting in front of a computer 2 to 3 hours a day and the rest would be party,party.

Scams a plenty. If asked for up front money for a "sure fire way" to make money in Thailand by way of your computer = Forget it.

Most of all: Before any sort of commitement (personal or business-wise) is made, stay here as a Tourist for the duration of at least 6 months.

Cheers.

• Like 1

All of my income comes from the internet. But I'll admit it hasn't made me rich.

Same as that, i make a handy income on the net here but just enough to keep me on ladys and beer and pay for a half decent condo, it would never be enough of a living back in my home country, if i ever go back there i would have to find a 9-5 job so screw that, i know which way i rather be living smile.png

Edited by honda99
  • Like 1

I am doing all of my income from my internet businesses.

I don't want to give figures, but a family of 4 can live from it in Switzerland.

I wouldn't say it is difficult, but you have to have the right skillset to be successful as well as 2 or 3 years of hard work to get somewhere.

And technical skills are not enough. I know a lot of people very skilled in building websites, but incapable of having business ideas and running an internet business.

It's not something you learn and then apply what you learned. You have to have that mindset and also to be clever.

Edited by manarak

If you have a talent as a writer - with a lot of research you may find some work on a per article basis .. but while iffy..- it is possible. Watch out for scams. Learn how to get paid by Paypal with an account in your home country.

Or spend many months cultivating contacts with International companies that are doing business in Thailand ... try to find work as a local area consultant job or regional agent depending upon the nature of the business... If such a company can provide a Work Permit - then suspend the Retirement Visa ... This was suggested to me. You can't work with a Retirement 'O' Visa - but you can look ...

By contemplating to retire in Thailand there are a few strict rules:

- The money for your monthly expenses (as a base) must come from your home country. 100 %

This is not so. Any country outside of Thailand will do as a source of your income, if you take the income route. If you take the cash on deposit route they dont seem to care very much where it comes from.

- Many have tried. There are few success stories with regard of Farangs in "Early-Pension-Mode" for whatever reasons, that have been able to supplement their income by way of internet commerce.

If it was easy and doable, every unmarried Male over 45 originating from Europe would be sitting comfortably in Thailand and earning their living here by sitting in front of a computer 2 to 3 hours a day and the rest would be party,party.

I think there may be more than you imagine. If someone is smart enough, and has the necessary skills, then it isnt hard to earn an income online (and I'm not talking about poker playing or day-trading). The trick as always lies in being smart enough and having the skills. Anyone who needs to ask about how to do it probably doesn't fit the requirements, as most people who can do this will have been doing it for a long time already.

"I am about to apply for a retirement visa and move to Thailand."

One bit of free advice: you dont need a retirement visa. Just get a regular tourist visa and do the paperwork for a retirement extension here. The end result is the same but the requirements are fewer (no medical, no police report) and the cost is lower also. And it's very easy indeed.

Millions of posts about this in the main visa section of the forum.

• Like 1

This has been a well covered topic on various TV threads. I suggest you do some research.

Making money on the Internet is not difficult....once you have done it once.

Then everything you look at becomes another idea for an Internet business. You see ways to improve, cut out middle men, attract new customers or build new services. Thailand is absolutely full of opportunities. You do not need to be a website builder or even have SEO skills - they are in abundance here for very affordable rates. Finding good ones is a bit of trial and error, but they are out there.

Of course, it does come down to the right idea, product or service, but it is also about time - it will take a year or so of constant work and attention to rank well enough to get decent hits and turn your idea into money. Most people expect instant responses and page 1 Google rankings and it just doesn't work that way. Many businesses think putting up a website and they are done...again, a website is only 10% of the job. Your first web business will be a constant search for knowledge and refinement...but once you make it, you will see opportunity everywhere.

There are no shortcuts, no "tell all" websites and no one is going to tell you exactly what they do to make money.

...like everyone says...if it was easy everyone would do it.

Good luck. Perseverance is key.

• Like 1

"I am about to apply for a retirement visa and move to Thailand."

One bit of free advice: you dont need a retirement visa. Just get a regular tourist visa and do the paperwork for a retirement extension here. The end result is the same but the requirements are fewer (no medical, no police report) and the cost is lower also. And it's very easy indeed.

Millions of posts about this in the main visa section of the forum.

This is a good thread.

In regrads to this a bit off topic subject, you are leaving out that they need to have money in the bank in thailand, or proof of income, or marraige, all important points.and easy to bypass at home, though you do need to have money of some kind.

However yes they are pretty easy to get either in home country or in thailand, one joy of bineg OLDER!

In regrads to this a bit off topic subject, you are leaving out that they need to have money in the bank in thailand, or proof of income, or marraige, all important points.and easy to bypass at home, though you do need to have money of some kind.

I didnt mention them because they dont change. Those requirements are identical, regardless of whether you are applying for a retirement visa elsewhere or a retirement extension here. You still need proof of income and/or savings. For many people (and me) this is much easier to obtain here than in their own country.

You don't necessarily need SEO to drive traffic. You can get traffic to your site using forums like this in a question and answer format(where can I get?). Yahoo answers works well and any other little forum. Some guys get traffic putting their link in their forum signature, etc.

There are many other ways of earning money through the internet, other than SEO or similar things. Depending on your background there are things like becoming a freelance writer or free lancing your particular skill set, to name but a couple.

In Google, you could type "earn money through the internet", this will help you with some ideas. You can also PM me and I can give you some more details, on how I create further income. smile.png

I worked online for the last two decades and retired to Thailand in my mid forties.

Can you make money online: Yes

Am I going to tell you how to do it on a free to access public forum: No

You can spend five years bouncing off the walls like I did...and find your own ideas...

I know someone here that makes upwards of 400k a month online - what's he do? He sells lists and ebooks telling people how to get wealthy online - he has half a dozen full facebook accounts (full meaning 5k "friends") that listen to his freebee info and go to links he posts (free), but to get the detail, one has to subscribe. Just a few Dollars a month - he says about 25% of people sign up from free to subscribed and most just leave it ticking month on month as its so cheap - with enough people he makes a good earning with a few mail shots a week and a single article loaded with links. He works his people though - no in your face scams or advertising, but all the info can be got from Black Hat sites on the web - he just does the collating and mail shots to subscribers - they are happy to save the time digging. He spends 3 days a week working and the rest spending it all biggrin.png

The real work here is to get the clients in the first place - once there are enough, that encourages more (word of mouth etc). Must have taken a lot to fill up those FB accounts though!

I know a farang woman here that teaches over skype - using some service or other. She did a TEFL here, taught a bit for pennies, then discovered she could earn much more - as many hours as she wanted, teaching online all across the world. teaching English. Not great money, but she tops over 30k a month easily without working too hard - probably twice what she would earn in language school (without a degree) and less hours, no travelling, times to suit, aircon and a kettle nearby (she's at home) and no real dress code.

Edited by wolf5370

I didnt mention them because they dont change. Those requirements are identical, regardless of whether you are applying for a retirement visa elsewhere or a retirement extension here. You still need proof of income and/or savings. For many people (and me) this is much easier to obtain here than in their own country.

\

Some MAY disagree about having thai baht in a thai bank and having it in your own home currency. (Maybe baht is even better, i don't know, who does?)

If you are starting out, this is no SMALL issue especially if you are on a budget.

Nor is getting the funds to a thai bank a small issue, not for rme is it.

But yes the actual visa is in thailand a good deal cheaper.

I will note that a retirement visa from home is actually good for about two years if used to that affect (or is it effect).

Edited by infinity11

A post containing links to other forums has been removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Some MAY disagree about having thai baht in a thai bank and having it in your own home currency. (Maybe baht is even better, i don't know, who does?)

If you are starting out, this is no SMALL issue especially if you are on a budget.

You dont have to deposit Thai Baht. The equivalent sum in currency is acceptable.

But the main point is that regardless of where you apply and regardless of what you apply for (retirement visa or retirement extension), you still need to show a minimum deposit and/or a minimum income. There are no legal ways around this that I am aware of, though of course illegal ways are available everywhere (and they are probably cheaper to implement here).

So all things considered, most people will find it both easier and cheaper to get a retirement extension here rather than a retirement visa outside of Thailand.

You dont have to deposit Thai Baht. The equivalent sum in currency is acceptable.

But the main point is that regardless of where you apply and regardless of what you apply for (retirement visa or retirement extension), you still need to show a minimum deposit and/or a minimum income. There are no legal ways around this that I am aware of, though of course illegal ways are available everywhere (and they are probably cheaper to implement here).

So all things considered, most people will find it both easier and cheaper to get a retirement extension here rather than a retirement visa outside of Thailand.

Again you miss an important point and please correct me if I am wrong:

if you apply for retirement extension in thailand, you need to have the money IN thailand.

Edited by infinity11

if you apply for retirement extension in thailand, you need to have the money IN thailand.

This is true. I suppose that for some people this might be a problem, and I'm glad I'm not in their shoes.

You are wrong

Income method for retirement extension requires no money in Thailand.

This is true. I suppose that for some people this might be a problem, and I'm glad I'm not in their shoes.

You are wrong

Income method for retirement extension requires no money in Thailand.

It does it you go the deposit route. Infinity11's problem seems to be that he wants to do this but cant get the money here.

It makes little sense to me, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...