Name Change After Marrage

Hi Guys,

Just a quickie here for anyone who has already done this...

After getting married to my thai wife we are in two minds about changing her surname to mine. the thing is she has a lot of supporting docs in her thai name. and stamps in her passport showing trips we made together to few asian countries.

My question is, if she changes her name will they issue her a new blank passport or will they just put a name change page inside?

If so would this affect her visa application in any way? either negativly or perhaps favourably if she is applying with a uk surname?

Thanks,

Ross

My wife just changed her ID Card and left the Passport unchanged. Explained what we had done to the Embassy when we applied for a Visa and it caused no problems.

We changed my wife's ID Card, driver's license and passport...They just entered the name change into her passport...We did this because we wanted her name to be the same on all of her ID's and when we travel, the plane tickets are in her married name

My wife did not change her name so there was no problem with any document changes.

However our son (at birth) has my family name and a British passport and birth certificate as well as his Thai birth certificate. He now has dual nationality and later he will get his Thai ID and passport.

Both choices were hers.

Edited by billd766

My wife just changed her ID Card and left the Passport unchanged. Explained what we had done to the Embassy when we applied for a Visa and it caused no problems.

We changed my wife's ID Card, driver's license and passport...They just entered the name change into her passport...We did this because we wanted her name to be the same on all of her ID's and when we travel, the plane tickets are in her married name

Yeah we did the same. The only thing that changed was her ID card. Her household and passport were just updated.

Note that when travelling it's better to get a new passport with the name change if the tickets are in her new name, cos the airports get confused sometimes when they see the passport picture page with the old name, even if the passport has the name change stamp in it. We ran into particular bother in Ho Chi Minh airport because of this. It's all legal, but they get confused with seemingly mismatched travel documents.

Edited by chareehusbee

This seems to be a matter of personal preference, my wife has changed her name to my surname on her passport and id card.

She recieved a new blank passport last Monday.

I just think it will be so much easier in the u.k if we are the same surname. i have heard it can cause problems in Thailand, having a different name, especially with her family book and other family documents, but as she is coming to England this doesn't apply.

The Embassy were aware that she has changed her name to mine especially as her application and other documents were in her previous name, and there was no problem.

My wife did change her ID card soon after we married, she tells me that it is a legal requirement to do so within 60 days of the wedding. Anyone know if she is correct?

She didn't get around to changing her passport until the time came last year to renew it.

As far as the UK is concerned, there is no legal requirement for a woman to take her husband's surname on marriage. So whether your wife changes her name or not will have no effect on any visa application. The marriage certificate will provide the necessary link between documents in her maiden name and ones in her married name anyway.

When I marry my fiancee she is keeping her maiden name on all documents, purely because we wont have time to change anything.

The only thing we were going to change was her ID card, from Miss to Mrs. As GU22 says, does anyone know if this HAS to be done. We are not changing her maiden name just her title.

If we don't have to then maybe we wont.

When I marry my fiancee she is keeping her maiden name on all documents, purely because we wont have time to change anything.

The only thing we were going to change was her ID card, from Miss to Mrs. As GU22 says, does anyone know if this HAS to be done. We are not changing her maiden name just her title.

Yes thai women can now keep their maiden name on marriage. However the title HAS to be changed to Mrs.

Yes thai women can now keep their maiden name on marriage. However the title HAS to be changed to Mrs.

Do you know why it HAS to be changed from Miss to Mrs?

Where do you get it changed?

How long does it take?

How much does it cost?

Thanks

We changed my wife's name on her ID card, Tabien Bahn, Passport etc.

A quick and painless process in all cases.

They issued a new passport with her new name.

When we applied for her 1st UK visa the ECO asked for her original passport.

Luckily I had it with us, I am certain we would have been told to come back with it if we did not have it.

I don't know about other countries but for all you Brits make sure you take the old passport along to the embassy with you.

Do you know why it HAS to be changed from Miss to Mrs?

Where do you get it changed?

How long does it take?

How much does it cost?

Thanks

Under the Marriage Act, the House Registration Document and ID has to be changed together with surname. This has been amended only 3 or 4 years ago to exclude the change of surname, which is now an option. The changes on House Registration book and ID must be made within 60 days. My legal information is courtesy of Local Registration Officer at Amphur and confirmed by MFA.

You take documents to local Amphur's office. In my wife's experience took 3 hours. Cost negligible.

We did not amend my wife's passport, through choice, but MFA rules say all documents should correspond.