Buying A House But Staying Overseas Most Of The Time

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I know about these rules, but my wife is Thai, so she will be the one owning the house and land.

So again, can a house in Thailand be left unsupervisioned most of the year, or does it carry to many risks (burglars etc.)?

The obvious answer is that yes you would need some kind of local oversight of the house. Either a friend, relative, or a paid service. For a condo with decent security that's another matter. I have left my condo untouched for as long as five months with no break ins.

As soon as people understand that the house is empty of people for 11 months, it will soon be empty of everything else. Look at the protection on houses now. They place bars on all windows. Walls around the house have broken glass on the top or spikes. People keep dogs to warn off everybody. As soon as the shopping flyers start to pile up outside your door you will become a target.

Agreed, you will be robbed for sure probably even while you are in it for one month. Precaution is the key word in Thailand. It is not as bad as El Salvador where I lived during their civil war but it is not far from it, either. Rent it out and get at least a dog for security. Take it from me whose house was robbed while I was living in it!

Unless it is on a vert secure development or a run down shack you are buying, most likely it would be robbed, Try buying next to a friend or family member that could keep an eye in it

Many Thai's have extended families living in the same house. If your wife has family members she trusts you could arrange for a few of them to relocate to your property whilst you're overseas. Downside is wear & tear and payment of utilities. As said a secured development is a possible consideration, but impossible to guarantee no risk, only risk minimisation.

As others have suggested best to rent as it's not worth having to worry about the possibility of break and enter.

Edited by simple1

Unless it is on a vert secure development or a run down shack you are buying, most likely it would be robbed, Try buying next to a friend or family member that could keep an eye in it

Many Thai's have extended families living in the same house. If your wife has family members she trusts you could arrange for a few of them to relocate to your property whilst you're overseas. Downside is wear & tear and payment of utilities. As said a secured development is a possible consideration, but impossible to guarantee no risk, only risk minimisation.

As others have suggested best to rent as it's not worth having to worry about the possibility of break and enter.

He wont be the first farang to face the problem, of out to get them out once they have set up camp in his house.

I know at least one guy who had to build an extension on the house, another ended up building a garden shed for himself to live in.

Love the Thai way of explaining it to the gullible farang, "family only come to take care".

As if they are doing you a favour.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Op I think you should ask yourself the question why would you want to buy a house and land that is not in your name and is only gonna be used maybe once a year ,give yourself a few slaps round your face to wake yourself up and then answer the question.

Of coarse if your a multi millionaire and have money to burn why not ,if that's not the case I can't even think why you would consider doing it.........2nd thought maybe the wife is pressuring you to do it who knows....

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

hanks for the answers. The reason for buying is that eventually we, as a family, want to relocate to Thailand. Looking at the house prices increasing each year, I want to buy before it becomes to expensive. I trust my wife (have been married with her for more than 10 years), and don't see a problem if the house+land is in her name. I suppose bying in one of these farang style resort places with security guards included may be an option. Not an option I like too much though, as I prefer to live in a Thai community.

Edited by bobthedog

hanks for the answers. The reason for buying is that eventually we, as a family, want to relocate to Thailand. Looking at the house prices increasing each year, I want to buy before it becomes to expensive. I trust my wife (have been married with her for more than 10 years), and don't see a problem if the house+land is in her name. I suppose bying in one of these farang style resort places with security guards included may be an option. Not an option I like too much though, as I prefer to live in a Thai community.

50% of marriages end in divorce.

Not to do with trust, to do with statistics and probability.

Better to secretly put your spare cash in a hidden off-shore account and wait until you are coming here.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

House prices don't go up, land prices do. Generally Thais don't like second hand homes, lots of reasons from ghosts to tjhey only want new.

Buy some land with good title for home building, build when you relocate. Jim

• Like 1

I have seen houses in moobans completely stripped of anything valuable. Even removed wooden window frames and all the wiring including the conduits and sockets.

And those had security, they probably got a share of the loot.

Buy land instead. Then when you get closer to relocate to Thailand start building a house on it.

Building prices go up too, but not by that much and it gives you time to save more.

• Like 1

Not really.

If it is a chanote squatters need to occupy it 10 years unchallenged before they can have a right on it.

Maybe a few trees disappear. Or your land is dug up, but changes of that happening are extremely small.

We have a few pieces of land, the longest time ago we bought was 9 years.

It is just lying around getting worth more every year.

Some other pieces of land we have are rented out for very low prices and some even for symbolic amounts.

Never for free or without a contract though as the risk for squatter rights taking over is always there without having any proof.

Sounds like a good idea to just buy be the land now - and then build a house on it when time comes.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Land provides no income and you cant own it anyway.

If you are desperate to invest in Thai property, why not buy a condo which should provide some rental income, should have no security issues and should also have a value that (more or less) tracks the value of houses and land.

And, of course, a condo is the ONLY sort of property that you can legally buy in your own name anyway, in spite of what estate agents and vendors may have to say.

Not really.

If it is a chanote squatters need to occupy it 10 years unchallenged before they can have a right on it.

Maybe a few trees disappear. Or your land is dug up, but changes of that happening are extremely small.

Some other pieces of land we have are rented out for very low prices and some even for symbolic amounts.

Never for free or without a contract though as the risk for squatter rights taking over is always there without having any proof.

So if you experience that chanote squatters actually occupy your land, is it as simple as contacting the local police to have them removed?

Not really.

So if you experience that chanote squatters actually occupy your land, is it as simple as contacting the local police to have them removed?

Yes, Puyai Bahn can be helpful too.

The most important is that the event is registered, dated so a claim in the future can be countered.

If you are visiting every year there is no change of problems with squatters.

if I buy a house in USA, England, Australia etc etc & leave it empty for 11 months of the year is their a risk that it will bet burgled?

I cannot speak for England or Australia, but in the US it will most likely not be burgled. Of course you wouldn't want to do anything that would signal to random passer-bys that the house sits vacant for 11 months. Typical examples include : un-mowed lawns, stack of newspapers out front, flyers on the door, valuables in plain view, etc.

Sounds like a good idea to just buy be the land now - and then build a house on it when time comes.

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Land provides no income and you cant own it anyway.

If you are desperate to invest in Thai property, why not buy a condo which should provide some rental income, should have no security issues and should also have a value that (more or less) tracks the value of houses and land.

And, of course, a condo is the ONLY sort of property that you can legally buy in your own name anyway, in spite of what estate agents and vendors may have to say.

Land in the right area will appreciate far quicker than any building.

Read post number 3, the land/property will be in his wifes name anyway so no need to be forced into the confines of a condo.

I bought my house in 2003 with a view for it to be a retirement home - hopefully soon and as such have never rented it out - but gradually getting it to just how I want it

I do not think it is a good idea to leave it unsupervised - and therefore I pay a maintenance company to clean the house and look after the garden also have a friends car left in the drive

I do however live in a 'village' - which in the UK's terms would be a housing estate

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I know about these rules, but my wife is Thai, so she will be the one owning the house and land.

So again, can a house in Thailand be left unsupervisioned most of the year, or does it carry to many risks (burglars etc.)?

I have a few houses in Land and House development. Fully furnished. Specifically asked the management to look after for us. Security guards around 24/7.

Guess what? The houses were broken in, all electrical items and those which can fetched $$ were taken. There are signs that somebody ever stayed in the houses for sometime too. We suspected the security guards were the culprits or accomplices.

My advice: if you are not staying and not renting out, don't buy. If you have bought it, get a reliable agent to help you rent it out.

Cheers:)

I have seen houses in moobans completely stripped of anything valuable. Even removed wooden window frames and all the wiring including the conduits and sockets.

And those had security, they probably got a share of the loot.

Buy land instead. Then when you get closer to relocate to Thailand start building a house on it.

Building prices go up too, but not by that much and it gives you time to save more.

Own a piece of land in Rangsit. Did not go check for 3 years since we had a lawyer to handle all properties. Had a shock when we went to see last year. Someone built a restaurant on part of our plot. How did they managed to build a restaurant and run it for almost 2years without the land deed?

This is my experience to share.

• Like 1

That is what squatters do. If you make it your career you can end up with land you never paid for.

Imagine what would happen if you stayed away 10 years.

But 2 years is no problem, you just evict them or even better start charging rent, as they have a business established they can pay.

• Like 1