Website Design

PattayaPhom

Look into Bigcommerce and do it yourself, they give you relatively good control of your URL and file systems for seo purposes.

Most website companies in thailand do not take the time to make seo friendly urls or page titles.

Look into Bigcommerce and do it yourself, they give you relatively good control of your URL and file systems for seo purposes.

Most website companies in thailand do not take the time to make seo friendly urls or page titles.

Thanks for the suggestion but these guys are in the US or OZ......not interested in distance relationships...want a company in Patters or close by.

I have operated as a remote web designer for my customer base for a number of years with no issue. This is a web site and all interactions can, and should, be able to take place online. If I can't communicate effectively with my clients in this environment how can they expect me to do this for them?

• Like 1

I have operated as a remote web designer for my customer base for a number of years with no issue. This is a web site and all interactions can, and should, be able to take place online. If I can't communicate effectively with my clients in this environment how can they expect me to do this for them?

Maybe the OP just doesn't trust people he has never met?

I'm damned sure I wouldn't trust unknown people working in Thailand. I dont even trust most of the ones I have met.

• Like 2

Maybe the OP just doesn't trust people he has never met?

I'm damned sure I wouldn't trust unknown people working in Thailand. I dont even trust most of the ones I have met.

I never said everybody was as great as me ;) I also share your sentiment having met too many coding Walter Mitty types who have bought a copy of Dreamweaver and some templates in Pantip and think they are building useful websites.

I prefer to meet my customers face to face because those I meet through web or email tend to be difficult and bad payers.

And when the website is more complicated than a simple Wordpress site and involves aspects of application development, it is best to be able to explain everything face to face, so that there are no surprises. The customer must also often be educated as to what's realistically possible, how much work/costs are involved and about how to properly use the tools.

I am in the process of opening my company in Thailand.

I could do whatever website you need, and no problem for meeting anyone face to face but I am currently in Switzerland until End of February.

P.S.

don't hold your breath, I refuse to work with most customers... LOL

I only take on long term clients, and only when I see we established a good contact and understand each other well.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

I work as a remote web developer with most of my clients being "face to face" developers (ie they outsource the actual work to me).

I started out as a typically "face to face" web designer until I realized that the people who want to "meet up" or "give you a ring" are the ones who call you 5 times day about nothing issues and take forever explaining them, or just have nothing better to do than sitting in an office talking to you drinking a cup of coffee.

I couldn't stand it, as you are either having someone waste your time, or billing someone for listening to their lost dog sob stories....if I wanted that I would have become a bartender.

The fact is if you want to meet up with the developer that is time you are going to have to pay for, so basically 3 or 4 hours they could have spend actually working, they instead spend it drinking coffee with you. And the kind of developer who are willing to bill you for sitting around drinking coffee are the kind of developers are are probably going to take 3 times as long with your project and charge you 3 times more also. As long as you understand that time is money and are willing to pay for it, then no problem.

And the kind of developer who is willing to sit around drinking coffee with you for free, is the kind that doesn't know how the heck to build a website anyways.

I have been operating this way for years and there is nothing that you cannot say in an email; which is also a permanent searchable record of exactly what was said.

I don't have an issue with trust as I always bill clients 100% on completion, so no risk on their part; and I've never had anyone not pay. Plus at this point most of my clients are repeat clients.

Not to say that all remote designers/developers are on the up and up, as most of the "repair"/"Get me out of hole" type of jobs start with the sentence "I hired a company from Pakistan..."

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 2

And the kind of developer who is willing to sit around drinking coffee with you for free, is the kind that doesn't know how the heck to build a website anyways.

Thank you for the flowers!

I sit with clients because I want to work with them long term, for example a businessman who wants me to take over the technical/internet side of the business.

Obviously I don't go sit with people who just want a job done.

I have been operating this way for years and there is nothing that you cannot say in an email; which is also a permanent searchable record of exactly what was said.

This is a good point, and I always confirm everything by email.

I sit with clients because I want to work with them long term, for example a businessman who wants me to take over the technical/internet side of the business.

And are you the one who actually does the development? As all my clients "sit with clients", but then they just outsource the work to people like me (or people like me within their company). My point being that the actual coder is rarely a person who wants to sit down with a client who knows nothing about web design and shoot the breeze. (Spending 3 hours taking to explain what a screen resolution means etc..)

It just seems to me that if you are an actual developer and your schedule is so empty that you are able to go out and meet face to face with potential clients...maybe you are not very much in demand?

Edited by dave111223

And are you the one who actually does the development? As all my clients "sit with clients", but then they just outsource the work to people like me (or people like me within their company). My point being that the actual coder is rarely a person who wants to sit down with a client who knows nothing about web design and shoot the breeze. (Spending 3 hours taking to explain what a screen resolution means etc..)

It just seems to me that if you are an actual developer and your schedule is so empty that you are able to go out and meet face to face with potential clients...maybe you are not very much in demand?

Yes, I do the development.

I don't need to be much in demand, because I mainly develop for myself and my own websites make the bulk of my money.

And I do enough money on my own so I can tell any client my honest opinion.

I already said earlier in the thread that if the client is difficult (i.e. dumb, totally computer illiterate or has unrealistic expectations) or if I can't establish a good connection with him, I won't take the job.

I take outside jobs when I think it will lead to a long time partnership or when the project is exciting.

Sometimes I also take a quick money maker on the side if the time/money ratio is good.

I will soon employ 2-3 staff to develop websites for me (and possibly do some outside jobs) because I have too much ideas and don't want to spend all the day working... 2-3 hours a day is enough.

If I get an exciting project, I can crank the work up to 20 hours a day for 10 or 15 days... all depends on the mood :-)

I always wonder why people with much stronger development skills than mine don't start their own money makers but instead choose to be dependent on clients and employers. Maybe the latter are those with the ideas? Or is it a lack of risk appetite? But on the internet, there are almost no risks, just time to invest...

Edited by manarak

I always wonder why people with much stronger development skills than mine don't start their own money makers but instead choose to be dependent on clients and employers. Maybe the latter are those with the ideas? Or is it a lack of risk appetite? But on the internet, there are almost no risks, just time to invest...

That would be because not everyone can make a website be found for the right keywords or take the effort to fill in all the blanks...a lot of skeleton websites out there that cant even get the page titles right...

much harder with the emd updates ... No longer can you just register and emd and buy 1000 spammy backlinks and get in the top 5!!

This is only needed if you do the same as the competition...

I never did SEO, and to be honest I tried, but I'm not too good at that, but I don't need it.

Good content beats SEO, and in the last 5 years my sites constantly gained ranking on google with each of their updates :)

• Like 1

SEO is <deleted>. Content is king.

I provided you with some hard evidence to prove this statement is false, what evidence have you provided?

Just logic. Wasting time on SEO is over stupid. Spend 10 hours a day writing for your website and you will understand that SEO is nothing useful (excpt the basics)

I provided you with some hard evidence to prove this statement is false, what evidence have you provided?

Just logic. Wasting time on SEO is over stupid. Spend 10 hours a day writing for your website and you will understand that SEO is nothing useful (excpt the basics)

Well lets see, in the example i provided (and has since been deleted by mods) I am position #4 on Google for highly competitive keywords (buy links) through SEO efforts. That provides me with about 50 unique highly targeted (less than 30% bounce rate) visitors per day.

If I were to buy those clicks from adwords, that would cost about $15 per day to get those same click throughs. That is $450 per month (or $5400 per year)...still seem like a waste of time?

And despite a few people saying that "Content is King" no one has yet to provide any references to show that their site is highly ranked for competitive keywords. And i'm sorry there is no way that you can start a site, do nothing but write good content, and within 2 months you are getting $450 worth of targeted traffic per month for free.

Edited by dave111223

10 hrs a day?! No thanks