Taxi Scam

mrtoad

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never get in the cab in downtown BKK before 1) telling the driver your destination and make sure he knows it and 2) verify the use of the meter.

Nah its best to get in and make him aware of your alpha male status before commanding him to take you to your destination.

Works for me anyway. biggrin.png

I actually only once got ripped off and that was my very first naive choice of taxi in Thailand at the airport, 900 baht for 15 minutes of transportation to my hotel(from the Taxi provider within the airport, how horrible is that?).

After that, I've always experienced honest taxi drivers with their meter on.

I was refused trips several times, but I wouldn't care because the next taxi might take me to my destination.

Overall "most" Thai drivers are polite and do not intend to rip you off, I've encountered really fun drivers too.

• Like 2

C'est la vie. For a good taxi rip-off, look for a bloke loitering outside a night club late at night.

Worst I have had is blokes who dive on to the tollway out of town as soon as you fall asleep. Wake up just after the toll barrier, and its a 20 km round trip to get back at the next exit. Better than a "friend of a friend" (this is at least a second-hand story, so it might be wearing thin at the elbows) jumped in a taxi in Jakarta after a night in the pub following an interview. To cut a long story short, jumped, knife, hospitalised taxi driver, hospital, police raid, fatal gun fight, hostages. "So you'll not be taking the job, then?"

"Well, the way I see it, that sort of thing's not going to happen twice"

SC

I remember the first time I was coming to Thailand,many years ago, I went on line, read everything I could about Thailand, and everywhere I will see warnings about the Taxi drivers, how they will take you the long way so they can overcharge you, how they will try to take you to shops where they get commissions etc. When I got there I was stressing over the taxi situation.

The truth is

They never took me any where other than where i wanted to go,

I dont think I was ever overcharged,but even if they took the long way, so what ? my 150 baht ride became 200, so I was overcharged 50 bht a little bit over $1,

big deal.all this fuss over a dollar?

I should stress over a $1?

others are in a difficult economic situation and they do, and for others it is not the $1 but the principle, I get it .

But for me, I don't care, For me it is simple the price to pay for living a stress free life.

• Like 1

How the heck did the OP get a taxi at Makkasan?

Walked out onto the main road, usual suspects were not hanging around. Probably had already snared enough victims for the day.

Ahhh... that's more like it. I took a photo of the last taxi I saw actually kerbside at Makkasan and sent it to the WWF for their endangered species file.
  • Like 1

How the heck did the OP get a taxi at Makkasan?

Walked out onto the main road, usual suspects were not hanging around. Probably had already snared enough victims for the day.

Ahhh... that's more like it. I took a photo of the last taxi I saw actually kerbside at Makkasan and sent it to the WWF for their endangered species file.

Lol

My rule of thumb...

Never get in taxi's that hang around hotel or clubs, they are taxi mafia and always hail a cab from the street (never been ripped of this way).

You won't go far wrong with that rule of thumb.

• Like 1

The only time we got scammed was the first trip to Thailand in 1998 when we agreed on 600 baht from the Don Muang airport into the heart of the city. We found out later it should have been about 200 baht. 600 baht seemed reasonable at the time because we had just come from Canada where a similar length trip would have cost 1800 baht. That is where the Lonely Planet books come in handy, along with a little prior research BEFORE a trip to a foreign country. It helps to know a ballpark figure of what things cost wherever you might go. It's MUCH more expensive in Bangkok or Phuket when compared to some place like Chiang Mai, Pattaya or some small Thai village.

I did Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi for 321 baht + tolls + airport tax took about 45 minutes.

I then did my business at Suvarnabhumi and went down the to taxi line and got into a taxi taking me 5 minutes to my hotel, Meter started at 35 and went up about 2 baht per 2 seconds until it hit 201 then slowed down to the normal speed so I ended up paying 227 baht for 5 minutes.

I asked him about it and compared to my reason trip fro DM and he got aggressive and said always minimum 200 from the airport, what can you do on the free way around midnight so I just gave up on it.

First time in around 100 rides I have had an issue.

Edited by spacemand

I did Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi for 321 baht + tolls + airport tax took about 45 minutes.

I then did my business at Suvarnabhumi and went down the to taxi line and got into a taxi taking me 5 minutes to my hotel, Meter started at 35 and went up about 2 baht per 2 seconds until it hit 201 then slowed down to the normal speed so I ended up paying 227 baht for 5 minutes.

I asked him about it and compared to my reason trip fro DM and he got aggressive and said always minimum 200 from the airport, what can you do on the free way around midnight so I just gave up on it.

First time in around 100 rides I have had an issue.

That second taxi meter was on yaabaa for sure.

The last couple of taxi rides I have had from the more prestigious parts of Sukhumvit and Langsuan to Suvarnabhumi have cost me 178 and 206 baht respectively. Just flagged them down, told them I wanted the airport and the meter went on, no hassles. As pointed out earlier, the arse-end of Sukhumvit will see you having to cadge for a moving taxi to get the real deal and avoid the piss artists.

Edited by NanLaew

@mrtoad, just because the sun shines when you are somewhere does not mean that reports of other people in an other time having some rain is false. Id expected someone with your post count to know that.

What does a post count have to do with knowledge?

If you really think a persons post count means they are knowledge, smart, up to date, ect, i have news for you 555...

You post count is very high, yet you seem like an old school crank going off the rails over nothing :)

Edited by Jigger

@mrtoad, just because the sun shines when you are somewhere does not mean that reports of other people in an other time having some rain is false. Id expected someone with your post count to know that.

The point is this, they often get a bad press, and a lot of it is deserved. These two were good, so I tried to add a bit of humour to the post. I am sorry it was lost on you, I would have expected someone with your post count to have known that.

The point is this, they often get a bad press, and a lot of it is deserved. These two were good, so I tried to add a bit of humour to the post. I am sorry it was lost on you, I would have expected someone with your post count to have known that.

Heaven forbid that you should add a little humour to any subject. Many here would not know humour if it hit them in the face.

I am more interested about this guys views of Maggi Thatcher. I mean, since when has a Thai given anything for any other country ?

I was bloody surprised as well, he said she was good as she bombed the Argentinians. He didn't like David Cameron, but thought Tony Blair was ok. He didn't mention John Major or Gordon Clown.