Thaksin Announces House Dissolution, New Election

george

Now that you are beginning to understand the length and breadth of these issues, tackle some reading on how they DO support democracy and that a 90 day snap election is the only truly democratic election.

I'm glad to see how SOME of them changed their minds about the boycott:

(from The Nation) The Democrat, Chat Thai and Mahachon parties failed to agree on a boycott on Saturday after Chat Thai delayed its decision amid rumours the party was lobbied heavily by TRT to break ranks with the other two opposition parties.

If 1) all your allegations are true, 2) the people believe that the protestors have noble intentions, and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY Thai people feel that SOMEONE ELSE can do a better job than Thaksin, then the protestors should have nothing to fear from an election.

There will always be unfortunate crises; we live in a world where evil people exist.

I agree Thaksin could have handled certain situations better, but it's still UP TO THE PEOPLE to decide if someone else could have done a better job than Thaksin. In a democracy, "the people" are the majority (not the most vocal) and get to decide who they want in times of a crisis - that's why an election is the fairest process.

I very much agree.

:o

A real election is indeed called for, however it needs proper timing to be a "real" one. One that allows any candidate of to be of any party they chose to represent. One that allows the Election Commission not to have it's capacities exceeded with a Senatorial election on the 19th. By jamming both of them so close together, the reliability of their efforts in either election is questionable. Lastly, in needs to be one that allows time for candidates to be selected and their platforms and philosophies explored. The results of that "real" election might be quite different than the one that occurs on the 2nd.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Majority of TRT candidates for the election in the southern region are the same persons

The Deputy Leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Mr. Wan Muhamad Noor Matha, (วันมูหะมัดนอร์ มะทา), who is administrating the election in the southern region, stated that 80 percent of the party’s candidates for the general election in the South would be the same people as in the previous election. The next general election will take place on April 2nd.

Mr. Wan Muhamad Noor Matha said the methods for election will be adjusted so the party can gain more votes. He said certain party-list candidates will be transferred to the constituency system and vice versa so that the party will be able to receive more votes.

However, a meeting with the party executive members will be take place at 15.00 hours, in an attempt to find the resolution on this matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 Febuary 2006

Personal comment: please be not making fun of the engrish in this bulletin... they're not my words I assure you... they're straight from the TNNBPRD... ching ching... :o

Now that you are beginning to understand the length and breadth of these issues, tackle some reading on how they DO support democracy and that a 90 day snap election is the only truly democratic election.

(from The Nation) The Democrat, Chat Thai and Mahachon parties failed to agree on a boycott on Saturday after Chat Thai delayed its decision amid rumours the party was lobbied heavily by TRT to break ranks with the other two opposition parties.

If 1) all your allegations are true, 2) the people believe that the protestors have noble intentions, and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY Thai people feel that SOMEONE ELSE can do a better job than Thaksin, then the protestors should have nothing to fear from an election.

There will always be unfortunate crises; we live in a world where evil people exist.

I agree Thaksin could have handled certain situations better, but it's still UP TO THE PEOPLE to decide if someone else could have done a better job than Thaksin. In a democracy, "the people" are the majority (not the most vocal) and get to decide who they want in times of a crisis - that's why an election is the fairest process.

I very much agree.

A real election is indeed called for, however it needs proper timing to be a "real" one. One that allows any candidate of to be of any party they chose to represent. One that allows the Election Commission not to have it's capacities exceeded with a Senatorial election on the 19th. By jamming both of them so close together, the reliability of their efforts in either election is questionable. Lastly, in needs to be one that allows time for candidates to be selected and their platforms and philosophies explored. The results of that "real" election might be quite different than the one that occurs on the 2nd.

In Thailand as in the US or UK, the procedures for elections are governed by law.In most countries, the UK more than the US perhaps, the system gives a significant advantage to the incumbent.So it is with Thailand.I do not underestimate the significance of the points you raise but I am afraid the overall impression is you are casting around in advance -and correctly anticipating a TRT victory- for reasons why the election on 2nd April will not be representative of the Thai peoples' will.The "elephant in the room" that you are ignoring is the awkward fact that the majority of Thai voters are and are likely to remain supporters of Thaksin, although I would imagine in somewhat smaller numbers.I do think that farang observers who are getting excessively steamed up should chill, relax, take a stress pill and quietly reflect that this not really their battle.

I very much agree.

In Thailand as in the US or UK, the procedures for elections are governed by law.In most countries, the UK more than the US perhaps, the system gives a significant advantage to the incumbent.So it is with Thailand.I do not underestimate the significance of the points you raise but I am afraid the overall impression is you are casting around in advance -and correctly anticipating a TRT victory- for reasons why the election on 2nd April will not be representative of the Thai peoples' will.The "elephant in the room" that you are ignoring is the awkward fact that the majority of Thai voters are and are likely to remain supporters of Thaksin, although I would imagine in somewhat smaller numbers.I do think that farang observers who are getting excessively steamed up should chill, relax, take a stress pill and quietly reflect that this not really their battle.

Looking for the actual announcement about House dissolution by Taksin... Not the news release but the actual statement.

Thanks

I do think that farang observers who are getting excessively steamed up should chill, relax, take a stress pill and quietly reflect that this not really their battle.

Exactly :o

While Thaksin might not be a perfect PM people may want to keep in mind that his predecessors weren't exactly philanthropist angels either and it's pretty unrealistic to assume that Thaksin's successor will be any better.

As someone else said earlier in a similar thread, be careful what you wish for, the next government may very well be much worse than the current one.

My wife is Thai and has lived in the states for some time now and I have to tell you that the general feeling of the Thai community stateside is that Thaksin has been doing a good job(particularly in clamping down on the drug situation) , however it is very possible that we get a filtered or slanted press over here about Thailand and the PM.

I notice that CNN's coverage of the current Thai situation is very minimal and distant. It's an interesting contrast with coverage of the current Philippine situation.

My wife is Thai and has lived in the states for some time now and I have to tell you that the general feeling of the Thai community stateside is that Thaksin has been doing a good job(particularly in clamping down on the drug situation) , however it is very possible that we get a filtered or slanted press over here about Thailand and the PM.

I notice that CNN's coverage of the current Thai situation is very minimal and distant. It's an interesting contrast with coverage of the current Philippine situation.

that's because thaksin is playing it by the book.

the international media is generally in praise of thaksin for following a constitutional route in dissolving parliament. its good that they do not see the situation to be as unstable as in the philippines.

the market has held up today partly as a reflection of its confidence in him.

for those who like to accuse thaksin of being a dictator, he did not move the troops in, he did not declare martial law. instead he has repeatedly called for protests to be peaceful and for people to follow the rule of law. and now he has handed the vote back to the people.

Majority of TRT candidates for the election in the southern region are the same persons

The Deputy Leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Mr. Wan Muhamad Noor Matha, (วันมูหะมัดนอร์ มะทา), who is administrating the election in the southern region, stated that 80 percent of the party’s candidates for the general election in the South would be the same people as in the previous election. The next general election will take place on April 2nd.

Mr. Wan Muhamad Noor Matha said the methods for election will be adjusted so the party can gain more votes. He said certain party-list candidates will be transferred to the constituency system and vice versa so that the party will be able to receive more votes.

However, a meeting with the party executive members will be take place at 15.00 hours, in an attempt to find the resolution on this matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 Febuary 2006

Personal comment: please be not making fun of the engrish in this bulletin... they're not my words I assure you... they're straight from the TNNBPRD... ching ching... :o

A month to prepare for an election and they also want to make changes so they can get more votes? :D

Am I reading this correctly? :D

Edited by penzman

... I just noticed a slightly more detailed piece on BBC. I missed the beginning, but it seemed to make a detached and accurate description of Thaksin' strengths outside of Bangkok and the middle-class nature of the opposition. It also pointed out that many pontential competing candidates/opponents have more local followings which would be a disadvantage in an election.

On the other hand, the didn't make much (based on the part I saw) of his control of the media or complaints about the snap election vs setting up a 90 day election period, which it seems to me would be the fair thing to do if Mr. T's heart (or beating cash register :o ) was in the right place.

It really is interesting to get views from outside the fish bowl, just as folks in the US could learn a lot from understanding how the media and people around the world see the US.

Edited by Upcountry

Don't oversimpelfy, please.

Yes, the majority under the current setup will vote for Thaksin, no question about it. As to WHY, is another question.

And if the 90day-rule didn't exist, who's to say more TRT-MPs would break out into their own fraction again? Or that another very charismatic person would step forward and challenge the existing parties?

The current setup is NOT in the best interest of democracy, but used to ensure a status quo.

I do think that farang observers who are getting excessively steamed up should chill, relax, take a stress pill and quietly reflect that this not really their battle.

I live here, not of my own free will due to marriage, and I'm affected by the laws and political changes in many ways, even is less than most Thais.

I sympathise with aliens in the US who can't vote and are buffetted by the political winds there.

Yes, it's true, why worry about what you can't control, but at the same time my situation entitles me to an opinion even if I can't express it as a voter or citizen. :o

I live here, not of my own free will due to marriage, and I'm affected by the laws and political changes in many ways, even is less than most Thais.

I sympathise with aliens in the US who can't vote and are buffetted by the political winds there.

Yes, it's true, why worry about what you can't control, but at the same time my situation entitles me to an opinion even if I can't express it as a voter or citizen. :o

Of course you can have an opinion.Not only that, you can express it as well although obviously you would need to use your discretion in terms of audience.No my point was really directed at those foreigners who seem almost possessed on the subject of Thasin.

Thaksin will be able to do much with a new mandate, it will silence his know nothing critics.

Thai PRO???

does that rare specimen exist in Thailand???

Ok, leaving this aside, for many years many multinational companies had as rules, donot talk about politics and religions...

And correctly as I have seen more screwups thanks to those then anything else.

I very much doubt you find a real PRO of anything in Thqailand as salaries outside are many multiples of those paid here.

I myself WAS one but you stay her long enough and you are likely 10 years behind the rest of the world...

Whatever.

You ask the wrong question: why farangs donot like mr T. Aks instead why he doesnt like us...

Looking for the actual announcement about House dissolution by Taksin... Not the news release but the actual statement.

Thanks

As far as I am concerned USA and Uk and Thai systems are not honest as by moving bounderies around they can make a total and utter mess of candidates and results. No way you can do that by systems like in Holland... You try to get votes like they do here, it doesnt work. Ok, can work, but you have the privaqte kitties to feed...

Be honest, if you KNEW what could be published if this wasnt Thailand...

CNN also disappeared about the Mohammed cartoons. Now to be honest, having seen them, I thought all except one had no humour. The one I liked was where there were no virgins left for the ariving arabs in heaven....

They should have redrawn the lot of them to make fun of the christians religions and told thos guys, ok, we use the same fout out religions, shut up. They wouldnt...

A bloodless coup might be the best solution for the current situation. From my grandparents to parents time, coups (besides the 2 incidents where there was indeed bloodshed.... not too bad considering the time spans involved though and the sheer number of coups) were just another day to stay home from school, close the shop for a day...... let the army folks roll out their aging rusty tanks for a day and then put them back into storage.

:D

Maybe so and I always really appreciate your comments since you are Thai and have a lot more knowledge than most of us (farangs) about the 'inside' of Thai culture and government related issues.

But....would that be a democratic move? :o

I fear that (overseas) investors will think twice to put their money into a country which has been notorious for such acts in the past. :D

It will bring Thailand way back on the economic worldmap, or am I wrong?

LaoPo

As someone else said earlier in a similar thread, be careful what you wish for, the next government may very well be much worse than the current one.
7:20 pm: Sirichai Mai-ngam, the president of Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand Union, says Thaksin opens up the country to be bought up by foreign investors, and workers will be robbed of their social security and will become second-class citizens under the rule of foreign investors.

Those evil foreign investors!!!

Boy imagine having a guy like Sirichai as the next PM :o

I very much doubt you find a real PRO of anything in Thqailand as salaries outside are many multiples of those paid here.

Excuse me, that is a pile of rubbish.

There are many foreigners and Thais who, in this globalised age, live in Thailand, work from Thailand competetively on an international level, in many professions.

The days that Thailand is the last resort for screw ups are rapidly coming to an end.

Unfortunately, i find, as i do miss many of the old characters who were forced by changing circumstances to move on somewhere else. These seem to be unfortunately increasingly replaced by our rather uninspiring, bland, and law abiding middle class citicens.

I very much agree.

If there's no other candidates running against TRT Party, then yes... I think it's safe to assume a TRT victory. I was attempting to point out why an opposition party would not wish to participate in an "unreal" election, rather than anticipating defeat if they had a "real" election.

The latest estimates, granted it's a not-so-easy task, through polls and educated estimates, etc., I've seen are significantly higher than "somewhat smaller numbers" of Thaksin supporters. Numbers being discussed were in the 1/2 of his previous support range. I'd be interesting in reading about any reports of numbers different than that.

On top of all this is the news tonight of Thaksin's agreement to meet with the opposition party leaders. With the time frame of the weeks ahead and given the often daily dramatic turn of events, I would proffer that almost anything is possible, including a decision by Thaksin to cancel the elections or the opposition party deciding at the 11th hour to participate in the election and end up taking the victory. In this topsy-turvy world of Thai politics, strange and incredulous happenings occur. It's what makes following it fascinating.

I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I'm not "steamed", nor am I "frothing" (to borrow Heng's laughable over-statement). To be interested in a topic and enjo participating in its discussion doesn't necessarily translate into going maddeningly psychotic over it.

I don't know how this election could be considered democratic. TRT has total control over broadcast media and people upcountry are completely brainwashed after five years of propaganda, and still being brainwashed.

They have never heard Sondhi speak, but they know he is a barking dog. ITV reported 6-7 thousand at the Sunday rally, now how's that for a lie?

The issues raised by Taksin opponents never make it into mainstream media, how can "grassroots" make informed choices in upcoming elections? What do they know about Shin sale? Why there should be elections in the first place? They haven't got a clue, and they never will.

What they get is shameless lies like "Chamlong turned against Taksin because of the money he didn't get".

Besides, what's the point in this elections? What is the opposition supposed to do? Talk about platform and ideas? That's not the point. The point is that Taksin should be investigated and possibly prosecuted for Shin sale, by relevant agencies. What has election got to do with it?

Are they too busy covering Iraq still?

As for Asia and its region-wide television news carriers, it was the 2nd lead-in story with lengthy reports on both Star News and Channel News Asia, right behind the Philippines story of a military coup and street protests. They even provided examples of the similarities of the countries' current difficulties.

Often, with their regional perspectives, these companies broadcasting throughout Asia, are a truer gauge of the impact in this region, rather than CNN.

A bloodless coup might be the best solution for the current situation. From my grandparents to parents time, coups (besides the 2 incidents where there was indeed bloodshed.... not too bad considering the time spans involved though and the sheer number of coups) were just another day to stay home from school, close the shop for a day...... let the army folks roll out their aging rusty tanks for a day and then put them back into storage.

Maybe so and I always really appreciate your comments since you are Thai and have a lot more knowledge than most of us (farangs) about the 'inside' of Thai culture and government related issues.

But....would that be a democratic move? :o

I fear that (overseas) investors will think twice to put their money into a country which has been notorious for such acts in the past. :D

It will bring Thailand way back on the economic worldmap, or am I wrong?

LaoPo

By best, it would be the quickest and most painless. Democratic or not, the locals are used to this kind of thing and quickly move on. And whether they admit to it or not, IMO foreign investors (especially of the Eastern Asian variety which in the end is likely the most important to Thailand) quickly forget as well.

I don't know how this election could be considered democratic. TRT has total control over broadcast media and people upcountry are completely brainwashed after five years of propaganda, and still being brainwashed.

They have never heard Sondhi speak, but they know he is a barking dog. ITV reported 6-7 thousand at the Sunday rally, now how's that for a lie?

The issues raised by Taksin opponents never make it into mainstream media, how can "grassroots" make informed choices in upcoming elections? What do they know about Shin sale? Why there should be elections in the first place? They haven't got a clue, and they never will.

What they get is shameless lies like "Chamlong turned against Taksin because of the money he didn't get".

Besides, what's the point in this elections? What is the opposition supposed to do? Talk about platform and ideas? That's not the point. The point is that Taksin should be investigated and possibly prosecuted for Shin sale, by relevant agencies. What has election got to do with it?

So if you don't like elections, what do you prefer? Do you want Sondhi to personally choose our next leader? Or maybe a civil war to decide who rules?

Again, complaints with no solutions. Ah, never mind. I suppose that's the point of message boards for most people.

Edited by gurkle

that's because thaksin is playing it by the book.

the international media is generally in praise of thaksin for following a constitutional route in dissolving parliament. its good that they do not see the situation to be as unstable as in the philippines.

the market has held up today partly as a reflection of its confidence in him.

for those who like to accuse thaksin of being a dictator, he did not move the troops in, he did not declare martial law. instead he has repeatedly called for protests to be peaceful and for people to follow the rule of law. and now he has handed the vote back to the people.

Please rephrase the "international media" reference to the appropriate outlets that ARE protraying the situation in the manner in which you describe.

Both of my cited media outlets came down hard on Thaksin. Star News highlighted the diverse groups that are opposing him, including the 2,000 Issan farmers who have cordoned off the entrance to the Agriculture Ministry to protest the government's failure to keep it's promises to them.

The SET going up for one solitary day is an indication of confidence?.... Hmmm... In the morning when it opened, it dropped almost 1% and then went up. Is the confidence changing on a hourly basis? The SET is not a reliable barometer of most issues.

In case you unaware, there are thousands of troops "at-the-ready" "just in case"... and Thaksin HAS declared martial law in the South and has had it place for months. He hasn't truly handed the vote back to the people because of the shortcomings and restrictions connected with the election. These and a plethora of other similarities with previous "dictators" have earned him this

ever-more-frequently-used title.

I would proffer that almost anything is possible, including a decision by Thaksin to cancel the elections...

I'll admit that nothing would surprise me in politics but I can't see how there mightn't be an election of some sort at this point. I don't believe there is any way to undissolve parliament, is there?

I would proffer that almost anything is possible, including a decision by Thaksin to cancel the elections...

I'll admit that nothing would surprise me in politics but I can't see how there mightn't be an election of some sort at this point. I don't believe there is any way to undissolve parliament, is there?

I might add the HRH approved this, so I don't think there is anyway around not having elections at this point.

So if you don't like elections, what do you prefer? Do you want Sondhi to personally choose our next leader? Or maybe a civil war to decide who rules?

Again from the anti-Thaksins, complaints with no solutions.

You must have missed post #301 for solutions/suggestions. :o

For a "real" elections (that's what "I" would prefer, anyway, to a Sondhi appointee or a civil war), it's about the timing.

With the thousands of teachers who normally coordinate election day vote processing now refusing to participate, the election process is getting murkier than a Bangkok khlong.