Is Teaching In Thailand Career Suicide?

ivan96822

So can anyone on this forum let me know of a few international schools that pay in the 60,000 to 80,000 Thai baht per month range?

I know--as one person posted--that securing a job at an international school is not the easiest thing to do, but I figure that enough folks reading this must certainly have some credible input. Let me know!

Ok, mates! The silence is deafening...!

Perhaps I should be more humble and thank my lucky stars for earning 45,000 Thai baht per month?

That said, as long as the two big bottles of Chang are still in the neighborhood of 85 baht, and my handsome good looks can get me from Sukhumvit to Khao San Road for 180 baht, I will wink in the mirror and give the cabbie my coins for change.....so long as he doesn't stop at a red light and urinate on a wall while I'm in the back seat.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anyone on this forum let me know of a few international schools that pay in the 60,000 to 80,000 Thai baht per month range?

I know--as one person posted--that securing a job at an international school is not the easiest thing to do, but I figure that enough folks reading this must certainly have some credible input. Let me know!

Most of them are in that range. Do you have a teaching certificate which qualifies you to teach in your home country? Normally, that is a requirement at Thai international schools.

^^^^^^^

Yes, I do have a valid teaching certificate from the U.S.

If you do decide to apply to most international schools in Bangkok, you should be able to get a job easily and quickly with that credential alone.

With your qualifications you should be aiming at finding a job in a school that pays much more than 60-80k per month. You're worried about your CV, yet seem to aspire to teach in a lower-tiered school. The kind of schools that you want on your CV will pay far more than that.

• Like 1

With your qualifications you should be aiming at finding a job in a school that pays much more than 60-80k per month. You're worried about your CV, yet seem to aspire to teach in a lower-tiered school. The kind of schools that you want on your CV will pay far more than that.

I don't aspire to teach in a lower-tiered school. I simply am not greedy. 60K per month is very reasonable for Bangkok, in my opinion. You could live relatively well with that type of salary.

Regarding my CV, if you think I wouldn't jump at something paying higher than that, you're crazy. But I figure I have to start from somewhere and can work my way up when I need to.

I don't aspire to teach in a lower-tiered school. I simply am not greedy. 60K per month is very reasonable for Bangkok, in my opinion. You could live relatively well with that type of salary.

Regarding my CV, if you think I wouldn't jump at something paying higher than that, you're crazy. But I figure I have to start from somewhere and can work my way up when I need to.

My apologies, maybe my choice of words was a little poor. You are clearly a very well qualified professional, and your earning potential here is much higher than you may appreciate. It is not about greed, nobody enters the teaching profession with that in mind, but getting a salary that your qualifications deserve.

I am not sure what teachers in the US are paid, but you should be looking to roughly match that here; you will at good school.

I've already stated to you on another thread that I am earning well in excess of my salary back in the UK, plus I get a whole host of additional benefits. You can go and get yourself a job for 60k per month, but it will not be at what would be regarded as a 'good' school. From what I understand, from a conversation with a friend that worked for them, Wall Street language schools pay over 50k per month to their TEFL teachers. 60k, or even 80k, is far lower than you should expect. 60k may also not go as far as you think in Bangkok, but that of course is a personal thing.

I have seen at the salary scales for a good number of the international schools in Bangkok; the ones that I would consider working for anyway. There are plenty more, but ones I wouldn't consider. All of the schools I refer to are what would classed as top or mid tier schools; all pay well in excess of 80k per month.

One question I have for you, which would affect your employment prospects, is how much experience do you have? Most schools would be seeking two years as an absolute minimum.

My apologies, maybe my choice of words was a little poor. You are clearly a very well qualified professional, and your earning potential here is much higher than you may appreciate. It is not about greed, nobody enters the teaching profession with that in mind, but getting a salary that your qualifications deserve.

I am not sure what teachers in the US are paid, but you should be looking to roughly match that here; you will at good school.

I've already stated to you on another thread that I am earning well in excess of my salary back in the UK, plus I get a whole host of additional benefits. You can go and get yourself a job for 60k per month, but it will not be at what would be regarded as a 'good' school. From what I understand, from a conversation with a friend that worked for them, Wall Street language schools pay over 50k per month to their TEFL teachers. 60k, or even 80k, is far lower than you should expect. 60k may also not go as far as you think in Bangkok, but that of course is a personal thing.

I have seen at the salary scales for a good number of the international schools in Bangkok; the ones that I would consider working for anyway. There are plenty more, but ones I wouldn't consider. All of the schools I refer to are what would classed as top or mid tier schools; all pay well in excess of 80k per month.

One question I have for you, which would affect your employment prospects, is how much experience do you have? Most schools would be seeking two years as an absolute minimum.

I've been teaching for four years here in the U.S. I am no rookie and consider myself to be quite a dam_n good teacher.

Questions for your, mate: Did you get hired locally in Thailand, or at a job fair somewhere in the West? The salary that I am aiming at is roughly what a teacher in the U.S. (in my region, at least) would make AFTER TAXES. When you say 80K per month, is that before OR AFTER taxes?

Let me know! Thanks...

Teaching in Thailand is not "career suicide" at all! It doesn't matter where you teach be it Sudan, Monaco or Bangkok! Future international schools are interested to know if your last school is accredited, the quality of students, exam results and your outlook and qualifications. Teaching in Thailand could be a "career suicide" if you were an unqualified English teacher but even then I'm sure some people could sell that experience up as well.

• Like 1

I've been teaching for four years here in the U.S. I am no rookie and consider myself to be quite a dam_n good teacher.

Questions for your, mate: Did you get hired locally in Thailand, or at a job fair somewhere in the West? The salary that I am aiming at is roughly what a teacher in the U.S. (in my region, at least) would make AFTER TAXES. When you say 80K per month, is that before OR AFTER taxes?

Let me know! Thanks...

The 80k minimum would be after taxes, net. Four years teaching experience would see you on the lower rungs of any salary scale, but I see no reason why you shouldn't comfortably break 80k per month. The fact you have a masters degree will help; some schools will pay you more simply for having one.

I was hired in the UK, directly by the school. Most of the British curriculum international schools advertise in the TES. The schools normally advertise on their own websites too, you could try that route.

You have constructed your question in such a way that we have no choice other than to recommend you come and teach in Bangkok. So, see you soon then.

If those with alternative opinions wish to opine, feel free. I was just trying to avoid the typical "low wages--large classes--unsupportive staff" cliches that seem to riddle many of the posts in this forum.

After teaching in Thailand for three years, yes, I have come across low wages, large classes, but the most important, I have never even had a hint of unsupportive staff, I even had one instance of a very supportive head of English Dept, telling me to teach in a certain way, when I found out that it didn't work and explained why, I suggested to her the way I wanted to do it. She listened to me and then said "OK, you do it your way starting from Monday", there was no loss of face, just a good supportive Head of English, but this wasn't in Bangkok, it was up country.

Teaching in Thailand is not "career suicide" at all! It doesn't matter where you teach be it Sudan, Monaco or Bangkok! Future international schools are interested to know if your last school is accredited, the quality of students, exam results and your outlook and qualifications. Teaching in Thailand could be a "career suicide" if you were an unqualified English teacher but even then I'm sure some people could sell that experience up as well.

In Bangkok, most of the time, public schools are more likely to employ young, blonde haired blue eyed males, than older guys with good experience.

I am no rookie and consider myself to be quite a dam_n good teacher.

The day that you think you're a 'dam_n good teacher'........................is the day that you stop learning HOW to be a 'dam_n good teacher.'

I think it takes considerably more than 4 years to reach that zenith. :)

Off-topic posts and reply have been deleted.

You can get on an airplane, but you just might need to have more than a one-way ticket. There is a requirement for an onward ticket and it is sometimes enforced by the airlines.

Ok, ok, ok...

So can I book a one-way ticket, land in LOS with my credentials, knock on a few doors and get a better-than-average teaching gig?

Easier said than done. Youve been given good advice by experienced people, choose to ignore it at your own peril

Again; best way...job fair, 2nd best way apply online before coming

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok, ok, ok...

So can I book a one-way ticket, land in LOS with my credentials, knock on a few doors and get a better-than-average teaching gig?

I think that's about the worst thing to do. better to organize a skype interview if you are too lazy and/or impatient to go to a fair. at the very least start emailing directors and ask about open positions.

Other than reading posts on this forum have you done any homework about the schools or Thai School system? Do you believe you will walk into a classroom, at any level and find 8-52 sets of eyes looking and waiting for you to part with the great farang wisdom. Do you want to teach children? Do you want to be a role model? Do you want to inspire the children? Do you want to make a difference in their lives? Are you willing to invest your own money for the future development of some of your students?

If your answer is yes to any or all of those listed then stay in the U.S. or whatever western country (with the exception of the UK as it sounds like their education system sucks as bad as the one here).

Looking to party, night life, hook up with a Thai woman/man, maybe learn another language (french, german), move to Bangkok and enjoy. So be serious are you looking to be "involved" in the education system or looking for a few years to sew some wild oats as they say....

You may get a better answer to your question if you ask people where you are rather than asking people who are in Bangkok or Thailand. I would not expect to hear many teachers here in Bangkok tell you, 'yes, you are right...you will ruin your career if you include Bangkok in your teaching experience, so don't teach here.' However, I think people will always wonder about the nightlife/sex aspect of a male teacher in Thailand and you probably will need to deal with that onward.

My other thought is that although you say you've been here, are you ready for day-to-day Thai culture? It is much different here after one year as opposed to being a tourist. As an expat, it is likely you will be seeking out the company of other expats from your country as well as looking for food you typically eat. Thai street food/cuisine is fun while on vacation but can be distinctly unappealing or unfulfiling after several months or as a steady diet. Also, I hope you like hot weather. This is the hardest part for me...it is hot all of the time here. Thais say there are three seasons here: hot, hotter, hottest. It is never cool or cold here - ever.

Ok, ok, ok...

This is not completely unreasonable, as others have suggested. I was expelled from China...not even allowed to collect my belongings and had to leave there immediately. I came to Bangkok and was able to get a decent position in a few months without any prior planning on my part. So, if you want to just 'take the leap' it is doable but you'll need to support yourself until you start working. You could time your leap to coincide with 'hiring season' here to give yourself better odds. But, if you are experienced and educated as you say, you should not have any problems finding a job here.

Edited by Jawnie

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/19/pupils-failed-by-education-system-say-cbi_n_2157199.html

My remarks may have been a bit hasty in regards to the UK school system......what was meant was that similar (or perhaps I should say disappointing) to Thailand is the "dumbing" down of students or the let's make the academic achievement bar so low that every passes (sound familiar). Schools in the UK have been running for so long like this that they themselves can not see the problems.

As this study takes into consideration "graduation" rates of course countries like the UK and others are ranked higher than they possibly should be. If your graduation standard continually gets lowered to meet expected demands from your "government" one can easily see that the education system of that country "sucks". But just my opinion which I have been told sucks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/19/pupils-failed-by-education-system-say-cbi_n_2157199.html

My remarks may have been a bit hasty in regards to the UK school system......what was meant was that similar (or perhaps I should say disappointing) to Thailand is the "dumbing" down of students or the let's make the academic achievement bar so low that every passes (sound familiar). Schools in the UK have been running for so long like this that they themselves can not see the problems.

As this study takes into consideration "graduation" rates of course countries like the UK and others are ranked higher than they possibly should be. If your graduation standard continually gets lowered to meet expected demands from your "government" one can easily see that the education system of that country "sucks". But just my opinion which I have been told sucks.

No education system is perfect, although the Finnish system probably comes closest. Don't compare the Asian countries at the top of the table to those of the major Western systems; they work their children to death, and extra private tutoring is the norm, not the exception.

Just consider that the UK system, despite its faults, still leaves the systems of other major countries in it's wake; Australia 7 places below, Germany 9 places below, the US 11 places below, and the poor French don't even rank. Your criticism and comparison is misdirected.

Can I also point you to the fact, that at no point in the article you posted the link to, does it mention a lowering of 'the graduation standard'. It does however say that international studies do indicate a rise in average pupil attainment.

I could go on, but as this is so off topic, I don't want to spend any more time responding; I also have the suspicion I am just feeding a troll.

Ok, ok, ok...

This is not completely unreasonable, as others have suggested. I was expelled from China...not even allowed to collect my belongings and had to leave there immediately. I came to Bangkok and was able to get a decent position in a few months without any prior planning on my part. So, if you want to just 'take the leap' it is doable but you'll need to support yourself until you start working. You could time your leap to coincide with 'hiring season' here to give yourself better odds. But, if you are experienced and educated as you say, you should not have any problems finding a job here.

Regardless of the time of year?