Thai Teachers No Longer Allowed To Sell Things To Their Students

webfact

Thai teachers no longer allowed to sell things to their students

By Coconuts Bangkok

thaiteachers.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission’s new ethics guidelines for Thai teachers contain what seems like a fairly common-sense clause: It says that teachers should not be allowed to profit off of their students.

Specifically, the Commission has called on teachers to stop plying their pupils with cosmetics, insurance and dietary supplements.

Among the other strictures put forth by the Commission [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/thai-teachers-no-longer-allowed-to-sell-things-to-their-students/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-01-23

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Thai teacher salaries are crap. I don't blame them too much for having a job on the side, streaming in some cash from another source such as sales. Just keep it away from students. They should not be clients. Seems like common sense, but to use the tired phrase, "This is Thailand."

The flip side of this coin is this. Thai teachers go above and beyond in certain aspects of the job that a Westerner would balk at. At my former Thai school (K-M6), Thai teachers practiced on their own time for a massive celebration for the school principal. Hours of dance rehearsals, singing practice, comedy skits. You name it. They did it. In order to get funds for the show, they sold homemade food items on the school grounds, and naturally the students were the likely customers. It was odd. Of course to attend the production was free, but students shelled out money for goods so teachers could have enough money for make-up, costumes, props, etc...

Just my 2 baht. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

This is so stupid, ethics guidelines what a joke. You can't sell stuff to kids but you can just simply pay to pass, I know so many students who don't even go to school just pay the fees and pass. Can't sell cream to the kids but you can withold information about tests and sell that to kids later in "private tuition"

But grades are still ok to sell? Good news for a certain University in Khon Kaen.

I'll believe this when I see it.

I was a teacher, and I have never seen or heard of any teachers selling anything to the students, But I have seen teachers bringing things in to the staff room to sell to other teachers, I've even bought from them myself, but no, not cosmetics or anything like that.

But grades are still ok to sell? Good news for a certain University in Khon Kaen.

I was a teacher, and I have never seen or heard of any teachers selling anything to the students, But I have seen teachers bringing things in to the staff room to sell to other teachers, I've even bought from them myself, but no, not cosmetics or anything like that.

There were something like 15 students at said Uni, charged for holding fraudulent degrees they had bought, from certain teaching members of the faculty. This was in some news article in the past 12-18 months.

I have, seen teachers selling their wares to students when I was a teacher at a primary school. This is not the case in all schools though, I would imagine. It is whoever a problem otherwise there would not be "15 sections specifically aimed and teachers". TIT cheesy.gif

Thai teacher salaries are crap. I don't blame them too much for having a job on the side, streaming in some cash from another source such as sales. Just keep it away from students. They should not be clients. Seems like common sense, but to use the tired phrase, "This is Thailand."The flip side of this coin is this. Thai teachers go above and beyond in certain aspects of the job that a Westerner would balk at. At my former Thai school (K-M6), Thai teachers practiced on their own time for a massive celebration for the school principal. Hours of dance rehearsals, singing practice, comedy skits. You name it. They did it. In order to get funds for the show, they sold homemade food items on the school grounds, and naturally the students were the likely customers. It was odd. Of course to attend the production was free, but students shelled out money for goods so teachers could have enough money for make-up, costumes, props, etc...Just my 2 baht. Thanks for reading.

Here we go again Poor old Thai teachers, hard done by.Thai Government teachers are on very good money compared to most Thai’s, ask a government teacher what their salaries are before stoppages for all the loans they have taken out.In the large increase they got a few years ago it was meant to be linked to productivity but alas the later never happened.Plus they get a review twice a year which can up their salary 2% each review.That was probably why they were so keen on doing so much for the director’s party. Trying to get up a rung on the crawling ladder.It’s a job you cannot get fired from either. My Ex’s salary was just under 33K per month after loans were taken out she walks away with 14K per month.Check it out please before lending a shoulder for a poor old Thai teacher has such a rough job.Your mail even brought tears to my eyes sad.png

Edited by metisdead
: Font
  • Like 2

Thai teacher salaries are crap. I don't blame them too much for having a job on the side, streaming in some cash from another source such as sales. Just keep it away from students. They should not be clients. Seems like common sense, but to use the tired phrase, "This is Thailand."

The flip side of this coin is this. Thai teachers go above and beyond in certain aspects of the job that a Westerner would balk at. At my former Thai school (K-M6), Thai teachers practiced on their own time for a massive celebration for the school principal. Hours of dance rehearsals, singing practice, comedy skits. You name it. They did it. In order to get funds for the show, they sold homemade food items on the school grounds, and naturally the students were the likely customers. It was odd. Of course to attend the production was free, but students shelled out money for goods so teachers could have enough money for make-up, costumes, props, etc...

Here we go again Poor old Thai teachers, hard done by.

Thai Government teachers are on very good money compared to most Thai’s ask a government teacher what their salaries are before stoppages for all the loans they have taken out.

In the large increase they got a few years ago it was meant to be linked to productivity but alas the later never happened.

Plus they get a review twice a year which can up their salary 2% each review.

That was probably why they were so keen on doing so much for the director’s party. Trying to get up a rung on the crawling ladder.

It’s a job you cannot get fired from either. My Ex’s salary was just under 33K per month after loans were taken out she walks away with 14K per month.

Check it out please before lending a shoulder for a poor old Thai teacher has such a rough job.

Your mail even brought tears to my eyes

Spot on, plus the very handsome retirement package, 0% loans or very near. Yes a first year teacher will generally be paid a low amount of money, around 10k bht pm, compare that to someone who graduates with a degree that works in a 7-11, around 7kbht pm, is it low?. Part of the Yinluck proposal, for her to get into the office she is now sat in, was that all degree holders seeking employment and going into the government sector would be paid a starting salary of 15k bht pm. Which in my eyes as a national average would be high. smile.png

• Like 1

I'm a teacher and the bit that got me most was the BS about "double standards". We all know what "double standards" means in Thailand. It means you are meant to worship the ruling government and not to speak ill of their incompetence.

Thankfully I already have my ticket booked to leave la-la land. I'll be back when I am 80 so I no longer have any conscience of what this country is really good for.

• Like 1

How about the high schools stop letting peddlers on the campus to sell to everyone.

The cafeteria where they rent out space to the noodle pushers. At least back at home

it is run by the school. Here they rent the space out. Stupid idea because these people are running it as a

private business and want to maximize their profit, so they stay open all school day long.

Now, I have to wait for the kids to come from the cafeteria because its open all hours and its a battle

to tell them to throw their food in the garbage because they are not eating in my class.

I'm sure we can make a top 10 list how government schools squeeze money from everyone.

You were not a teacher in Thailand then or you walked around the school you taught in with your eyes closed, all teachers charge their students, from primary to university I have seen students or their parents pay for worksheets to grades. It's one of the many reasons I got out of such a corrupt system

I'm a teacher and the bit that got me most was the BS about "double standards". We all know what "double standards" means in Thailand. It means you are meant to worship the ruling government and not to speak ill of their incompetence.

Thankfully I already have my ticket booked to leave la-la land. I'll be back when I am 80 so I no longer have any conscience of what this country is really good for.

Bye then, we will not miss you

Shame they did not put the same effort into teaching, perhaps if they did you would not be crying into your beer glass for them

• Like 1