Thai Militants Kill Teacher In School Canteen

webfact

Thai militants kill teacher in school canteen

NARATHIWAT, Thailand, Jan 23, 2013 (AFP) - Thai insurgents shot dead a teacher in front of dozens of children in a school cafeteria on Wednesday, police said, in the latest deadly attack on an education worker.

Cholathee Charoenchol, a 51-year-old Muslim, was shot in the head at Tanyong school in Bacho district in Narathiwat province as at least 30 pupils and several teachers looked on, according to officials.

He was the 158th teacher and other school staff killed during a nine-year-old insurgency that has gripped Thailand's Muslim-majority deep south near the border with Malaysia.

Bacho police said two insurgents parked their motorcycle in front of the school canteen and walked into the building, where one of them shot Cholathee with a pistol.

"There were between 30 and 40 students in the cafeteria when he was shot," local police chief Colonel Pakdi Preechachon said.

Thousands of schools closed temporarily in December in protest at a lack of security for teachers, who are targeted by the shadowy network of militants for their perceived collaboration with the Thai state.

They reopened after the government pledged to beef-up security.

Colonel Pramote Promin, the spokesman for the army in the south, said a lack of cooperation from Muslim villagers was making it hard to protect teachers "no matter how strict security measures are".

"This school is situated in an area where 100 percent of the villagers and all of teachers and students are Muslims," he said.

Near daily attacks -- including shootings, bombings and even beheadings -- mean violence is a part of life for many in Thailand's far south.

More than 5,300 people, both Buddhist and Muslim, have been killed since 2004, according to local conflict monitor Deep South Watch.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-01-23

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Colonel Pramote Promin, the spokesman for the army in the south, said a lack of cooperation from Muslim villagers was making it hard to protect teachers "no matter how strict security measures are".

True the problem in the south will never end until the citizens them selves take an active hand in ending it. They know who and where the culprits are but are afraid to speak up.

I guess it is easy for me sitting here in Chiang Mai to say that but if I was down there I might not be so anxious to say it.

the fear these insurgents into the population is a big hurdle to overcome to reach an end to the situation.

Thai's retaliating for the recent murder of Thai school teachers. An eye for an eye as etched in their psyche. If Islam wants a chance at all, it has to stop those in violence and then the Thai's will back down but they will not give over land won in historic battles or seizure. The communities can live in harmony but the Muslim population must give up their separatists or get them to stand down from this idiotic hatred or this will be simply continuing and ongoing. It has to start within the Muslim communities, as dictating garbage and rules from Bangkok gets nowhere.

• Like 2

Thai's retaliating for the recent murder of Thai school teachers. An eye for an eye as etched in their psyche. If Islam wants a chance at all, it has to stop those in violence and then the Thai's will back down but they will not give over land won in historic battles or seizure. The communities can live in harmony but the Muslim population must give up their separatists or get them to stand down from this idiotic hatred or this will be simply continuing and ongoing. It has to start within the Muslim communities, as dictating garbage and rules from Bangkok gets nowhere.

Are you suggesting that these particular murdering scum were of a different religion when you say Thais? (There are many Thais who follow islam). If so, and you may be right, what makes you say this?

R.I.P. what a stupid and tragic loss...

It begs three questions:

1) why?

2) Why?

3) WHY?

Is it evil for someone to teach maths, according to the Qur'an?

Why the XXXX are they killing kids and teachers? What point are they trying to make?

Unfortunately a lot of these terrorist scum have been led to follow a perverted form of Islam that allows them to carry out the crimes they commit in the name of religion. Anyone who preaches or advocates a different interpretation of Islam is a threat to these scum. Teachers are amongst this group of people and are paying the price for being so.

• Like 2

In the villages there would be zero protection for any informers from the Thai security forces. Smacks of being two faced to blame the villagers for lack of co-operation. In an overseas media report it states that the murdered Muslim teacher's car was stolen by the attackers. Who knows if the murdered teacher was in fact an informer.

In another media outlet it mentions that the killings of school teachers are never properly investigated by the Thai authorities quote as follows.

"What appears to have been overlooked or ignored by the police and the army in most of these senseless attacks against teachers, especially Buddhist ones, is a proper and in-depth investigation into each of the incidents to find the real cause rather than the typical assumption that they were perpetrated by suspected militants to seek publicity or to terrorise Buddhist teachers in order to force them to leave the region".

It is the modus operandi for Islamic extremist groups to announce the reasons/objectives for their attacks. Apparently there are four main groups in the Deep South all claiming to be separatist. As far as I am aware they have never publicly announced the reasons or their objectives/demands for change from the Thai government after an attack.

• Like 2

I don't quite follow you here. What murder were they retaliating for. All the murders are done by the Muslims them selves. They are not always picky about who they get unless it is another Muslim teaching a different brand of their ignorance.

• Like 2

Thais better figure out something fast before the UN and NGOs get more involved and make the Thais look even more inept and corrupt.

Hmm……if we are talking about certain sections of the military, the corrupt govt officials and politicians I wonder if that is even possible.

It begs three questions:

1) why?

2) Why?

3) WHY?

Why the XXXX are they killing kids and teachers? What point are they trying to make?

That they don't follow civilized rules !

• Like 1

It begs three questions:

1) why?

2) Why?

3) WHY?

What do you think? How many terrorist has the Thai army created up to today, including those created with the the Kru Se massacre 7 years back, or by the murdering of 85 innocent muslims in Tak Bai back in 2004 (please check youtube "Tak Bai")??

Do you think, that the Thai army is capable to control, or even better the situation in the southern provinces? Do you think twenty years of wilful neglect of Thai politics, except sending the army down, can do any good? Have Thai politics at any time considered, that the southern provinces used to be independent sultanates with their own cultural identity? Could the exploitation of the natural resources of the southern provinces be the reason for Thailands army to be there?

Riddles, riddles riddles....

Edited by fxe1200
  • Like 1

All the murders are done by the Muslims them selves.
I'm pretty sure the Thai forces are carrying out their own operations. It's one of the reasons it's difficult for them to gain the trust of the local people.

Because you are pretty sure the Thais are caring on their own operations, As a matter of fact they are did you think they were down there for a Holiday.

There is nothing evil about there activities they are not planting road side bombs to get any one they are not storming in to schools and shooting teachers.

They are trying to protect the teachers a task they say is hard to do as in the village it is them and no one else they have no idea where the attack can come from.

I seem to remember when Abhist was the PM they had some social programs going to help the civilians. Not sure if that is still going on now or not,

• Like 2

Teach the students on line, from the safety of their homes. Move all of the teachers to another area, so the scum can't locate them. The scum will look for another target, because the fight is really about power and control. At least the children and teachers will be safe.

It begs three questions:

1) why?

2) Why?

3) WHY?

Unfortunately a lot of these terrorist scum have been led to follow a perverted form of Islam that allows them to carry out the crimes they commit in the name of religion. Anyone who preaches or advocates a different interpretation of Islam is a threat to these scum. Teachers are amongst this group of people and are paying the price for being so.

Technically Islam does't preach what so many practice, however what do the so-called moderates do about it? Do they report their bretheren, no. As such they silently condone it. They may believe the extemists go too far. however they are fellow Muslims, and as such a closer match than the infidels they murder. Islam needs to deal with this and they don't seem to be doing such, the alternative is endless US led wars.

Similar in many ways to the horors that Christianity were involved with, again of course in the name of God. If you are on a mission from God all sociopathic tendencies of the ignorant and malicious are released as bliss awaits you.

As do the Islamists believe they are on a mission from God. When are people going to learn, that God loves everyone. Stupid question, I know.

North America was full of tribes that had taken there land from another nation so I wouldn't use them as an example. The white man was just a continuing on of a long established process. Stick with Australia and the Abo's.

Your views of the history of the 3 areas shows a lot of bias and quite a bit of hypocrisy (and ignorance). Please desist.

It begs three questions:

1) why?

2) Why?

3) WHY?

What do you think? How many terrorist has the Thai army created up to today, including those created with the the Kru Se massacre 7 years back, or by the murdering of 85 innocent muslims in Tak Bai back in 2004 (please check youtube "Tak Bai")??

Do you think, that the Thai army is capable to control, or even better the situation in the southern provinces? Do you think twenty years of wilful neglect of Thai politics, except sending the army down, can do any good? Have Thai politics at any time considered, that the southern provinces used to be independent sultanates with their own cultural identity? Could the exploitation of the natural resources of the southern provinces be the reason for Thailands army to be there?

Riddles, riddles riddles....

Indeed riddles and they will never be solved by dwelling on the past. Not sure of how many the Army slaughtered at those two massacres. But I certainly know that it wasn't even in the ball park of the over 5,000 the terrorists have racked up. How many people do they have to kill to even the score if that is as you hint at they are doing it for revenge,

As we all know, our social, mental, intellectual, and physical existence is being formed by the society we live in, by the education and influences we do receive and process. Therefore we, or the politicians in charge, have to recognize the heritage and culture of the people living in the South when negotiating with them. The bitter hatred will not disappear by shooting more bullets from either side. Peace can only be installed by considering the past history of the people in the South, by stopping the forced economic disparity, by giving them their cultural identity back, as well as the sole responsibility of their natural resources, and some of their occupied land. The South is the Tibet of Thailand, just for those, who do not understand.

North America was full of tribes that had taken there land from another nation so I wouldn't use them as an example. The white man was just a continuing on of a long established process. Stick with Australia and the Abo's.

Your views of the history of the 3 areas shows a lot of bias and quite a bit of hypocrisy (and ignorance). Please desist.

No Bias just facts.

It was my understanding that Australia would not admit that it was settled by convicts from England until the early 1990s. It apparently is a sore point with them. We won't go into who was there first or who helped out. I have not studied there history that much.