Night Shots, Outdoor In Thailand

Kan Win

@Tangaroa67. Care to share details of your night shots. Camera, lens, exposure and ISO ?

Refreshing good images.

Thanks for your kind words, filmgirl ... I've added EXIF data to the images.

Yes they are very impressive indeed.

I guess the DSLR's are still hard to beat for high ISO, high quality shots.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tangaroa67. Care to share details of your night shots. Camera, lens, exposure and ISO ?

Refreshing good images.

Is there an advantage of using high ISO on low light shots?

Increasing the ISO makes the camera's sensor more sensitive to light. In simple terms, it does this by 'amplifying' the signal received by the sensor. The downside of using higher ISO's is noise. Using higher ISO settings does allow you to take photos in lower light, but in amplifying those light signals, it also amplifies the background noise that is present in every electrical circuit, making the image grainy (or grainer than it would be given adequate light). There's a pretty decent explanation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEApLA-YNko

Refreshing good images.

Is there an advantage of using high ISO on low light shots?

Yes, it enables you to get a dimly lit shot with handholdable shutter speeds. For instance, shot #4. ISO 25,600 at 1/125th and F5. The alternative, maintaining the same aperture would be 1/60th at ISO 12,800 or 1/8th ISO 1600, or 1/2 second at ISO 400. The later two would need a tripod for sure. The higher ISO facility negated this. The image is sharp and perfectly exposed from the use of the higher ISO.

Hope this helps

P.s. apologies as Tangarao posted as I was typing.

I see... Thank you very much for your explanations.thumbsup.gif

Aside from using a tripod... I figure tangaroa67 masked the residual grain by emphasizing on the highlights to divert attention and by reducing the blacks and shadows to finish it off. The result is astonishing. I really love them.

14888722966_2caee8af1d_b.jpg

Thanks, Dancealot.

No, I didn't use a tripod for any of my shots ... they were all hand-held. Fimgirl's point was that had I used a lower ISO, I might have needed to use one (to get an acceptably sharp image). The biggest thing I did to reduce noise was convert to black and white. Much of the high-ISO noise that my camera's sensor records is colour noise (RGB). Converting that noise to shades of grey makes its impact less noticeable.

I'm curious about the last image you posted ... I really like it, but it looks remarkably like the food-court at the Chiang Rai night bazaar ... is it? If so, are you based in CR?

Thanks, Dancealot.

No, I didn't use a tripod for any of my shots ... they were all hand-held. Fimgirl's point was that had I used a lower ISO, I might have needed to use one (to get an acceptably sharp image). The biggest thing I did to reduce noise was convert to black and white. Much of the high-ISO noise that my camera's sensor records is colour noise (RGB). Converting that noise to shades of grey makes its impact less noticeable.

I'm curious about the last image you posted ... I really like it, but it looks remarkably like the food-court at the Chiang Rai night bazaar ... is it? If so, are you based in CR?

Thanks!

I spent a week in The Rai only making pictures. ^ It's night market is ideal to practise beginner low light photography.thumbsup.gif I'm very enthousiastic about night shots and hope to see a lot more from you!

^^^ Tangaroa...Perfectly appropriate to post em here as it's neither daylight

nor pitch black...plus I haven't yet seen a twilight photo thread! Nice

pix. Also my favourite time of the day to be out & about...but not when

it's bucketing down rain as it is in my patch lately...

Actually, I'd planned to go out and take some photos precisely because it had been bucketing down. I was hoping to catch some reflections in the puddles around town. No such luck, hence the images above smile.png

Actually, I'd planned to go out and take some photos precisely because it had been bucketing down. I was hoping to catch some reflections in the puddles around town. No such luck, hence the images above smile.png

Yup...right after a good rain is nice. Problem is...it hasn't stopped raining while I'm awake!

Such is life.

Great shot, Klaus. One question though, do you use some kind of light sensitive trigger to operate the shutter?

No, I just set the f-top at 11 to get a long exposure, and I used the self timer to open the shutter to reduce vibration, and then basically get lucky with the lightning. Took about 20 shots.

@Tangaroa67: This is just after my first Chiang Rai-1-hour-special timeframe you captured so well. I felt so excited I just couldn't stop. ^

14838401256_74924710d9_b.jpg

[edit] @Klauskunkel: that's a neat trick in your previous post. That made me think.

Lovely shot, DAL ... I've taken many a shot down there and never captured an image I've been happy with, so well done!. I'm guessing you used a tripod (or have VERY steady hands)?

Thanks. Do you know why? Maybe you know the place too well which for me is a big downer.

I'm still in my anti-tripod phase so often on the look out for flat mounting surfaces. Because my cam is stable I program it, put it down to frame and focus and shoot. Here I used the drag-queen stage inbetween songs.^ Yellow,Thai trashcans are my favourites because of their height and mobility.

smile.png

Archived