Night Shots, Outdoor In Thailand

Kan Win

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ I would have guessed the opposite way round DAL, 1st off camera flash, 2nd light from a fire maybe.

^Very unlikely. If a flash has been used on Akha beauty it came from the left and couldn't have been eminated from the camera. Shadow from the nose, etc

Fire light is always in movement which always produces shadows. There are bearly any shadows on Another Akha girl's face at all.

I'm very impressed with the amount of detail he's produced on her face given this low light situation. In fact her face looks so good I want to know how.

I am curious, tangaroa.

Akha beauty

No flash but another lightsource close to you.

Another Akha girl

Yes flash.

I would like to know how you lightened their faces.

Thanks.smile.png

No flash with any of them, guys. I wish I'd had the foresight to bring one (or indeed press my daughter into service as off-camera flash girl, haha).

No, these photo's were taken with available light only, primarily from bare light-bulbs, but augmented in some instances by the light from a stage.

There are some more pics HERE, if you guys are interested.

Akha Girl: 35mm f/1.4 1/1000/s at ISO2000 (I hadn't realised the shutter speed was so fast for this ... with hindsight, I would have reduced the ISO to 1000 or thereabouts, but in the heat of the moment ...)

Another Akha Girl: 35mm f/1.4 1/400/s at ISO2000

I deliberately tried not to use too high an ISO setting as I wanted to keep noise to a minimum. I'd chose the 35mm f1.4 lens as I knew I'd be shooting 'wide open' and I wanted something faster than my f/2.8 lenses. I didn't go with my 50mm f/1.2 as it's bloody tricky to get sharp shots at f/1.2 and more pertinently, I needed a wider angle to be able to capture the whole stage. I shot RAW and was able to recover quite a bit of detail from within the shadows. Indeed, if you compare the version of 'Akha Girl' that I posted on Facebook, you'll notice that the shadows are a great deal darker. I much prefer the image I posted here.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'll be allowed this slight diversion from night shots in Thailand. I think it usefully demonstrates how little depth of field you actually need to make captivating images in low-light ... this shot was captured at f/1.8. If you have time, check out his other images, they're all good.

https://500px.com/photo/95857515/the-streets-of-shanghai-06-by-xie-jl

I hope I'll be allowed this slight diversion from night shots in Thailand. I think it usefully demonstrates how little depth of field you actually need to make captivating images in low-light ... this shot was captured at f/1.8. If you have time, check out his other images, they're all good.

These are fabulous and should give us food for thought to apply to Thailand (or wherever we may be) in future. Thanks for sharing!

It's the extended DOF that the mirrorless cameras provide that make them interesting to shoot at night.

Fuji XE-1 Voightlander 35mm (equal to 50mm) @ f2 - plenty of DOF even at this aperture. Bangkok night market and ice factory.

13319284815_d3e592188c_b.jpg

^^ Yea, my bad, I meant to say cropped and mirrorless.

The "look"- I upload into Niks Silver Effects and then back into Photoshop wherein I can adjust the "opacity" and "fill" sliders from within the layer and re-introduce colour to taste.

Hope that makes sense.

Details of the first one :

Appareil E-M5
Objectif OLYMPUS M.17mm F1.8
Focale 17mm
Vitesse 1/40 s
Ouverture f/1.8
ISO/Film 1600 Photos shots with a fix focale 17 mm f/1,8 equivalent 35 mm ( have a look at the bottom of the page : M ZUIKO PREMIUM ) http://zuikopro.olympus-imaging.com/fr-fr/?icid=stage-4805867%20|%20Lenses%20-%20Learn%20more%20|%20%28stage-item%20stage-dark%20current%29 I can see we have a big depth of field; bigger than on the photo taken by Fimgirl ; 35 mm equivalent 50 mm f/2 ; excellent photo for all that ; I would like to shoot so beautiful photos ..Thanks . About mine; I have a bridge Lumix FZ 200 f/2,8 ; I cannot play in the same category tongue.png Thank you for the little ( slight ) diversion

Archived