Night Shots, Outdoor In Thailand

Kan Win

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job, DAL!

Out of curiosity, what time of day and what ISO setting was used? I only ask because, I find it difficult to take decent colour images at night. I mostly end up converting to B&W as a 'cheat' since it hides the colour-noise better. This image looks nice and clean, noise-wise.

Out of curiosity, what time of day and what ISO setting was used? I only ask because, I find it difficult to take decent colour images at night. I mostly end up converting to B&W as a 'cheat' since it hides the colour-noise better. This image looks nice and clean, noise-wise.

Original raw for you to judge:

Iso 800; mounted, steady shot. about 7pm, no natural sunlight.

In case of less light is available then here I would lower the ISO to 200. I'd like to see how I can improve and am open to any critisim.

Maybe comparing work-flow's would help as well... I'd like to do everything manually with these shots, pre- and postprocessing. A filter or camera preset would influence me. I'd like to see how you make your b&w's and share an original raw here as well.

Hi DAL,

Thanks for that. Your camera's sensor handles low light very well, given you were only at ISO 800. There's some camera shake so perhaps you'd have benefited from an extra stop of ISO (or aperture) to make the shot 'hand-holdable', exposure-wise. I'd probably have had to set mine (Canon 5D III) at ISO 1600 or above to achieve similar results (and would likely have got more noise).

I'm assuming by 'original raw', you mean the un-post-processed JPG image as it came out of the camera? I say that because I always record genuine RAW files, rather than allowing the camera to 'decide' what constitutes a decent exposure/white balance/hue/contrast etc. Shooting RAW gives you quite a bit of leeway if you don't get it 100% perfect in the camera. I post-process my images in Adobe Lightroom and only then, save them out as JPG's. I don't (or at least, very rarely ever) revert to Photoshop.

If ever you're back up this way give me a shout and I'd be happy to show you what I do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd ask a question in this thread since it's "live" at the moment - sorry to trouble everybody.

I'm going to take shots of the International Fireworks Display in Pattaya tonight from the observation point at the top of Kaou Phratamnak (the hill between Jomtien and Pattaya).

I want to get a good position and I remember that when I was there at last year's display, a lot of photographers had scored all the good places with their tripods. I wasn't shooting last year so only turned up in time to see the display.

Does anybody know what time everybody turns up to secure their position? I don't mind turning up a few hours early but I'm already 7 shades darker than most Thais so don't really want to get there any earlier than I have to and bake in the sun. Any advice appreciated.

With any luck I'll have a batch of stunning shots to post over the next few days. Been doing a bit of study so will be concentrating on some multiple exposures (using the tried and true "wife's best black tee shirt in front of the lens while she's wearing it" method). Should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived