A Big Ask: Anyone Know A Pedicurist Who Knows How To Prevent Ingrown Toenails?

Jingthing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree a bit with Tropo that SLIGHTLY rounded corners if smoothed off are going to be just fine for most people as well. Not everyone's toes are the same. I developed problems I think because of trusting Thai manicurists. So I had a problem I didn't have before. I am just trying to aggressively fix it and prevent recurrence in the future the best I can.

Jing, ignore Tropo, he is wrong. Correct cut is straight

I believe Jing is able to make his own assessment of what he believes is correct.

If you like ugly straight cut toenails, then that's your prerogative - cut 'em straight.

Jing, ignore Tropo, he is wrong. Correct cut is straight

I believe Jing is able to make his own assessment of what he believes is correct.

If you like ugly straight cut toenails, then that's your prerogative - cut 'em straight.

Aesthetics doesn't trump pain avoidance in my book. Frankly, my feet ain't winning any beauty contests no matter how lovely the nails.

I agree a bit with Tropo that SLIGHTLY rounded corners if smoothed off are going to be just fine for most people as well. Not everyone's toes are the same. I developed problems I think because of trusting Thai manicurists. So I had a problem I didn't have before. I am just trying to aggressively fix it and prevent recurrence in the future the best I can.

Come on, you can remember. It's cutting them down the side and ripping out the base piece of nail which causes this condition or at least makes it worse. If they just cut the top edge and filed it, there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

To be fair, I had ingrown toenails long before I started getting pedicures in the Philippines and Thailand, but there's no doubt that these pedicures worsened the condition considerably.

I don't want to argue about this. But I do hope this thread has helped at least one person consider AVOIDING pedicure services in Thailand entirely. Not only do they routinely rip out the cuticles, their hygiene practices are usually very third world. Yes Virginia you can get serious infections from pedicures (and manicures for that matter).

I don't want to argue about this. But I do hope this thread has helped at least one person consider AVOIDING pedicure services in Thailand entirely. Not only do they routinely rip out the cuticles, their hygiene practices are usually very third world. Yes Virginia you can get serious infections from pedicures (and manicures for that matter).

Yes - people die from toenail infections. One of the main reasons is that no one thinks much of a toenail infection, so this potentially deadly infection will sometimes catch people unaware.

I remember talking to a lady in the Philippines who had a serious infection in both her toes - from pedicure. I told her to get down to the doctor immediately as she could die. Her groin lymph nodes were already swollen and painful.

• Like 1

3 pages on cutting toenails correctly, how sad!!

Why? It's part of life, yes?

But it's a routine operation for most, like cleaning your bum - is there a 3 page thread with procedures for doing that? hope so - could do with ANOTHER giggle

• Like 1

But it's a routine operation for most, like cleaning your bum - is there a 3 page thread with procedures for doing that? hope so - could do with ANOTHER giggle

You don't read the forum much, do you? Search on bum gun, mate.

You don't read the forum much, do you? Search on bum gun, mate.

Will do, seriously there is a discussion on cleaning ones hoop? Can't wait for this.....

If you have or have had ingrown toenails you'd understand that it is a serious problem requiring discussion.

Now stop trolling and go away.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

If you have or have had ingrown toenails you'd understand that it is a serious problem requiring discussion.

Tropo,

i wonder whether flaxseed oil could be used as supporting treatment. what do you think? huh.png

Tropo,

i wonder whether flaxseed oil could be used as supporting treatment. what do you think? huh.png

It doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a 'black's file' it is a tiny file on a long handle, you can use this to file down the sides of the nails.
Cut a V in the center of the nail. When the nail grows above the fold over edges, the sulci, cut it straight across.
Soak your feet in warm soapy water to soften nails and keep clean with a little alcohol wipes.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

Buy a 'black's file' it is a tiny file on a long handle, you can use this to file down the sides of the nails.

Cut a V in the center of the nail. When the nail grows above the fold over edges, the sulci, cut it straight across.

Soak your feet in warm soapy water to soften nails and keep clean with a little alcohol wipes.

The V theory is generally discredited by podiatrists. I also don't agree with touching the sides of the nails.

On my own case, all seems to be improving over time using my methods as described. However, I have only been wearing sandals. Wearing shoes might be a problem now.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts on quoted reply

• 1 month later...