Giant Centipede Eradication

mikebike

We have recently (last week or two) been inundated with giant centipedes between 6 - 12 inches. Been at present location for a coupla years and seen a few but not like a dozen, in the house in such a short period. Any ideas on eradicating the buggers? Heavy duty pesticides not a great option 'cause we have a cat with renal failure and she's not to strong to begin with... Any thoughts appreciated.

post-30101-0-87131900-1358997062_thumb.j

I would not take any chances with these critters. At the very least their bite is excruciatingly painful. Some people can be allergic to the venom which could lead to death. As far as your cat goes, it's possible a bite from one of these things could kill it so you need to weigh up that possibility with any potential harmful effects from pesticides. There must be some reason they are entering your house. I understand that they are normally shy creatures that like leaf litter and dark places so the only explanations I can come up for them entering your home would be 1) some conditions in your home providing a suitable environment, 2) a food source (do you have many cockroaches?) 3) they are seeking shelter from an inundation of rain (not likely, since we are in the dry season) 4) perhaps they are seeking moisture because conditions around your home are unusually dry.

Not sure how you could deal with them in other ways. You could experiment with the following:

1) Don't know if they can climb walls. If so a Las Vegas cockcroach trap placed in the corner of a room might work (search Google on how to make one)

2) Some of the bigger ones might be heavy enough to trigger a conventional spring mouse trap, but I don't know if non-moving bait will attract them.

3) Glue rat traps might do the job but again I don't know if any bait will attract them. These will also catch rodents and geckos.

Options 2 and 3 may also pose a minor hazard for your cat although I don't think it will go near them twice!

I would seek professional advice.

Edited by telstrareg

I would not take any chances with these critters. At the very least their bite is excruciatingly painful. Some people can be allergic to the venom which could lead to death. As far as your cat goes, it's possible a bite from one of these things could kill it so you need to weigh up that possibility with any potential harmful effects from pesticides. There must be some reason they are entering your house. I understand that they are normally shy creatures that like leaf litter and dark places so the only explanations I can come up for them entering your home would be 1) some conditions in your home providing a suitable environment, 2) a food source (do you have many cockroaches?) 3) they are seeking shelter from an inundation of rain (not likely, since we are in the dry season) 4) perhaps they are seeking moisture because conditions around your home are unusually dry.

Not sure how you could deal with them in other ways. You could experiment with the following:

1) Don't know if they can climb walls. If so a Las Vegas cockcroach trap placed in the corner of a room might work (search Google on how to make one)

2) Some of the bigger ones might be heavy enough to trigger a conventional spring mouse trap, but I don't know if non-moving bait will attract them.

3) Glue rat traps might do the job but again I don't know if any bait will attract them. These will also catch rodents and geckos.

Options 2 and 3 may also pose a minor hazard for your cat although I don't think it will go near them twice!

I would seek professional advice.

try the glue pads you put down for mice,and rats. we use them as a precaution,and have caught one of these before,but you have to put them where the cat does not go.may help

Toilet cleaner kills them within seconds.

I have found that Magiclean Kitchen Spray is really good on most small nasties, but I haven't tried it on these big centipedes. I think Magiclean interferes with the oxygen uptake of most insects - it kills ants instantly, and really big spiders. And the good thing is, it's easy to clean up the mess - there's soap there already.

Thanks for the input to my hubby's post. We're in Rawai, Chalong bay side. I've seen 3 in the past 5days. Almost stepped on one in the bedroom during the day, 10-12 inches but then gone. Of coarse my husband was gone. Next night watching T.V and felt something on my foot. Needless to say I've never moved so fast. About 6 inches but no bite. Mick stepped on it and smashed it but the bugger took it's time to die. Our home is spotless as I clean myself, the odd cockroach but not sure what their food source would be.

Thanks for the input to my hubby's post. We're in Rawai, Chalong bay side. I've seen 3 in the past 5days. Almost stepped on one in the bedroom during the day, 10-12 inches but then gone. Of coarse my husband was gone. Next night watching T.V and felt something on my foot. Needless to say I've never moved so fast. About 6 inches but no bite. Mick stepped on it and smashed it but the bugger took it's time to die. Our home is spotless as I clean myself, the odd cockroach but not sure what their food source would be.

Are you sure they are centipedes as shown in the picture

we get plenty of millipedes in the garden in Rawai but they are harmless and do not bite they have a lot more legs

Are you sure they are centipedes as shown in the picture

we get plenty of millipedes in the garden in Rawai but they are harmless and do not bite they have a lot more legs

peter, you are back,it has been dull on here,we were worried.welcome back.

For sure they are centipedes as in the photo not millipedes, we also have many of them as well and they are harmless, but we really don't want to find out how harmful the centipedes truly are!

they truly do give a nasty and painful bite. the trays i mentioned,you buy from 7/11.put them down under furniture.watch this to see how nasty they are.

When they were paving the soi in Hua Hin where I was running a bar, lots of big centipedes came into my place, nor exactly a good advertisement. Once I grabbed a kitchen knife and hacked one in 4 pieces, each of which walked off independently.

Edited by keestha