Fishing In Chaing Mai

DiamondKing

IanForbes would be a good guy to contact. He used to post a heap of photos from different places around Chiang Mai with some fairly sizeable fish. Have not seen him post for a while and a quick search reveals he is now banned, not sure if you can search for his posts or not now.

There are some photos of Ian, Fish, and sundry info on post below. Other than that there are a couple of weekend competition damns about...check a fishing supply shop for one nearest to you.

I believe Ian was going back to Canada any how. I could be wrong with that.

I see them fishing off the iron bridge I believe what ever it is the fish are only about 6 inches long 150mm. at least the ones I have seen. Stop and ask them they will have a net or small pail with a lid on it hanging in the river several were proud to show it. Not sure well I am sure I wont eat them.

A few of the fish I caught recently in Chiang Mai in my lake. Not monsters by any stretch, but fishing is fishing...

Did you use a very light rod, size 22 hook and 2lb breaking strain line.....if so, they look OK.

The trouble with the gear that one can rent here, is more suitable for clubbing them to death rather than catching them.

A few of the fish I caught recently in Chiang Mai in my lake. Not monsters by any stretch, but fishing is fishing...

Did you use a very light rod, size 22 hook and 2lb breaking strain line.....if so, they look OK.

The trouble with the gear that one can rent here, is more suitable for clubbing them to death rather than catching them.

I use a light rod and line, but I never really paid much attention to the breaking strain...but I think its 3lb from memory.

The only thing I know for sure is that the hooks are barbless...I hate hurting the fish when I have to remove a hook, and some of the catfish get bigger and can swallow a hook pretty deep.

I don't eat the fish, but my staff did.

There is a place called Chiang Mai fishing park that has three differant ponds, Thay have swai, tilapia, Pacu and alligator garr to name a few. The wife (she likes fishing more than me, if you can believe it) and I go there at least once a week. Very relaxing and they sell drinks, food, bait and tackle right there so it's a one stop shop. It's vey shady there also I might add. I know of about 10 spots around Chiang Mai to go fishing and we like this place the best.

There is a place called Chiang Mai fishing park that has three differant ponds, Thay have swai, tilapia, Pacu and alligator garr to name a few. The wife (she likes fishing more than me, if you can believe it) and I go there at least once a week. Very relaxing and they sell drinks, food, bait and tackle right there so it's a one stop shop. It's vey shady there also I might add. I know of about 10 spots around Chiang Mai to go fishing and we like this place the best.

It's just a boring, featureless pond.

Where is it.

Where is it.

I heard its by the Gymkana Club

The whole point of fishing, wether you catch any fish or not, is to get away from the wife for a few hours and have a nice quiet day with a few beers. smile.png

• Like 2

The whole point of fishing, wether you catch any fish or not, is to get away from the wife for a few hours and have a nice quiet day with a few beers. smile.png

I always liked the solitude of sitting by a stream, with a few beers, and no one else if possible.

Hampshire Avon, Dorset Stour, Medway in Kent, Norfolk, Old father Thames at Runnymede.......aaaah halcion days and the cricket season as well......where did heaven go to?

For everyone that asked where it is at, just put these coordinates into google maps and it will show you the exact location. 18.741004, 99.010270

As for Uptheos, what can I say, maybe you should return to you home country where you can fish in peace to your hearts content, and complain about how bad it is here in Thailand so others like you won't be tempted to come over here and spoil it for the rest of us.

Edited by Kiniyeow
  • Like 1

As for Uptheos, what can I say, maybe you should return to you home country where you can fish in peace to your hearts content, and complain about how bad it is here in Thailand so others like you won't be tempted to come over here and spoil it for the rest of us.

Wow that hit a nerve!!

I have absolutely no objection to anyone spending their time at a boring featureless lake.

For saying that I should return home??

It must be your lake for such a strong reaction wink.png

• Like 1

There is a new fishing lake under construction which will be open to the public soon, directly across from the g/f's land in Saraphi. We were just there yesterday and saw it for the first time. Looks quite cozy with individual bamboo salas placed around the lake and much more upscale than any other places I have seen. Will update once it is open.

There is a new fishing lake under construction which will be open to the public soon, directly across from the g/f's land in Saraphi. We were just there yesterday and saw it for the first time. Looks quite cozy with individual bamboo salas placed around the lake and much more upscale than any other places I have seen. Will update once it is open.

Be nice if the planted bushes and big trees close to the water edge.

I guess most just dig holes and fill with water because it's cheap. I bet there's no underwater vegetation whatsoever, just a bunch of mud with fish who can't get food from any other source - hence the successful catch rate. Nothing at all to do with skill.

I guess most just dig holes and fill with water because it's cheap. I bet there's no underwater vegetation whatsoever, just a bunch of mud with fish who can't get food from any other source - hence the successful catch rate. Nothing at all to do with skill.

I agree. Considering it is in an odd location out among the rice fields, one would guess they aren't going to go to the trouble of doing it properly and for the long term. Rather just to make some cash until they get a good price for the land and then they will demolish it as quickly as they built it. Everything is replaceable here.

It's strange, they have strategically placed all the salas around what will be the lake before they have even dug it out. They have burned off all the vegetation already.

BTW, I hadn't been out Saraphi way in quite some time. I was amazed at the rate of development there too (like everywhere). We could not find the soi where my g/f's land is located because new moobaan's were built and none of the old markers we knew were there anymore. We had to pick up a local at the market who was kind enough to direct us there. It had changed that much.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

I agree. Considering it is in an odd location out among the rice fields, one would guess they aren't going to go to the trouble of doing it properly and for the long term. Rather just to make some cash until they get a good price for the land and then they will demolish it as quickly as they built it. Everything is replaceable here.

It's strange, they have strategically placed all the salas around what will be the lake before they have even dug it out. They have burned off all the vegetation already.

BTW, I hadn't been out Saraphi way in quite some time. I was amazed at the rate of development there too (like everywhere). We could not find the soi where my g/f's land is located because new moobaan's were built and none of the old markers we knew were there anymore. We had to pick up a local at the market who was kind enough to direct us there. It had changed that much.

It's all about money and selling food, souvenirs etc, nothing about real fishing. These are places where my little grandaughter can throw out a bait and land a monster - the fish are simply deprived of anything in that 'nothing' pit and are pleased to see any food.

Yes, Saraphi has sprung up amazingly..

• Like 1

I used to follow your old lake thread, when you were creating it. It has turned out really nice. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Garry. I am pretty happy the way it turned out. I achieved everything I wanted and more. Just having a private lake in a natural setting is relaxing in itself.

That was a good thread and I proved that an Idiot (me) without a clue can create a lake. If you have the space, I highly recommend it.

To me, Thai fishing parks are devoid of all the reasons I like to fish. Somedays at my lake I don't catch anything, but it doesn't diminish the experience.

As a kid I used to love fishing in small lakes, often catching nothing, but I really enjoyed being at lakes that no one else was at, in a natural environment, trying my luck.

It's a lovely lake, lots of vegetation around and I envy you.

What does it matter if everyone and their dog pulls out a 40 lb catfish from boring featureless lake, you have something that is far more valuable!

You don't do day tickets do you? biggrin.png

I used to follow your old lake thread, when you were creating it. It has turned out really nice. thumbsup.gif

DLock and GaryP any chance of a link to the thread when you were making the lake / pond please.. I had a little search in the DIY and Real Estate forum thinking it might be there but could not find it. I would very much like to read through that as its something I'm considering in the future.

Kind regards CM2