Where Is The Easiest Place To Go From Chiang Mai If I Need To Go Out And In The Country

dharadevi

Hello kind community!

I came here with a double entry 60 day tourist visa. I stay already 60 days and ask for a 30 day extension.

Now I need to leave Thailand before feb 12th and reenter again to stay here till April 1st. So I will need immigration to stamp my passport for 60 days more. In the consulate where I did my visa they told me this was ok.

So first question: Will they stamp my passport with 60 more days?

I do have an outbound ticket to show them.

Second question:

I am traveling with a baby (1year/ 5 months) she got sick on our way to Pai in a car so I don't want to expose her to a long bus ride. I do have time so I can do this as a week trip on stages. Is Mae Hong Son an option? I also have where to stay in Khon Kaen, Isaan. so I could make a stop there too.

I have time but not to much money at this moment. :)

Thanks so much!

Be sure to check your passport when you re-enter to insure they did indeed give you 60 days. Much easier to correct errors at the border, rather than return to Chiang Mai and later realize they stamped your passport with just a 15-day visa exempt permission.

Be sure to check your passport when you re-enter to insure they did indeed give you 60 days. Much easier to correct errors at the border, rather than return to Chiang Mai and later realize they stamped your passport with just a 15-day visa exempt permission.

When I first came to Thailand I had the double reentry. The first one I went out at Mai Sot and they only gave me 30 days coming back I went over to immigration and they said there was nothing they could do I would have to go back to Mai Sai which I did and they fixed in a jiffy.

So as Nancy says when they give you your passport back check t6he date. Mai Sai is the quickest way and not that expensive Check up at the bus station for prices They do have some cheap buses I think the others are about 600 baht return. Been awhile since I did it, If you have a nice American $10 bill that will do it for the Burmese other wise you have to give them 500 baht.

So, it all can be done in one day if you plan well; otherwise you could take a few days if you want to spend some time in Mae Sai...which is a pretty quiet town.

The bus is much safer than a mini-van. Those van drivers have a death wish; actually you will most likely make the round trip, but nobody does this twice...or so I heard. The larger buses are safer, and there are mid-sized buses that go to Mae Sai without stopping to pick up others along the way. Oh, come to think if it, it does make just one stop for a 15-minute rest break. Anyway, the folks at the Arcade Bus Terminal can help you. Up and back should be about 600 baht.

The bus station in Mae Sai is on the south edge of town, so you--and most of your bus companions--will transfer to a local red song-thaew which will take you directly to the immigration office at the border. You will get your passport stamped out of Thailand, walk across the small bridge into Burma, enter their immigration office, have your photo taken, pay your fee(either with a new-ish US$10 bill or 500 baht, remain in Burma for a couple hours, or go directly back across the bridge into Thailand. Tell the Burmese officer what your intention is, and he will give you your passport immediately, otherwise they will keep it until you return from shopping in Burma. At Thai immigration you complete a new arrival card, and present it with your passport for your second 60-day stay. Be sure, as others have noted, that you are given 60 days rather than the normal walk-in amount of 15 days. (At end of the 60 days you can get a 30-day extension at Chiang Mai immigration.)

You can now spend a bit more time in Mae Sai looking around and eating before catching another red song-thaew back to the bus station where you and many others will re-board the bus back to Chiang Mai. You'll arrive in Chiang Mai somewhere around 6 pm if I remember right. Incidentally, there are not a lot of sharp turns back and forth along this route, so you should have no problems with getting an upset stomach.

• Like 1

When I first came to Thailand I had the double reentry. The first one I went out at Mai Sot and they only gave me 30 days coming back I went over to immigration and they said there was nothing they could do I would have to go back to Mai Sai which I did and they fixed in a jiffy.

So as Nancy says when they give you your passport back check t6he date. Mai Sai is the quickest way and not that expensive Check up at the bus station for prices They do have some cheap buses I think the others are about 600 baht return. Been awhile since I did it, If you have a nice American $10 bill that will do it for the Burmese other wise you have to give them 500 baht.

Wrong info. The Burmese are not stupid. They want the B 500 and do not accept dollars. Was there just a month or so ago so I know.

The Burmese immigration people are really nice and very friendly, the Thais? The usual suspects. Also, you will need to spend at least an hour or so across the border whilst the Burmese officials do the paperwork (they will keep your passport and give you a 2 week pass). There's a nice coffee shop that also sells food where you can take a nice break and wait; carry straight on from Burmese immigration until you come to a large road/roundabout, turn right, it is about 25 meters from the intersection on the same side of the road. Friendly workers who speak some English and the food is good and cheap (I paid B 30 for a good coffee and a plate of food). Then turn back your pass for your passport and proceed into Thailand.

Edited by TheVicar

Wrong info. The Burmese are not stupid. They want the B 500 and do not accept dollars. Was there just a month or so ago so I know.

The Burmese immigration people are really nice and very friendly, the Thais? The usual suspects. Also, you will need to spend at least an hour or so across the border whilst the Burmese officials do the paperwork (they will keep your passport and give you a 2 week pass). There's a nice coffee shop that also sells food where you can take a nice break and wait; carry straight on from Burmese immigration until you come to a large road/roundabout, turn right, it is about 25 meters from the intersection on the same side of the road. Friendly workers who speak some English and the food is good and cheap (I paid B 30 for a good coffee and a plate of food). Then turn back your pass for your passport and proceed into Thailand.

They may not be but some people are.

Ok, perfect, so Mae Sai is the place to go, and I will double check what they stamp in the passport.

So I need to go to the Arcade Bus Terminal the same day or buy a ticket in advance for big bus?

One more question, is it worthwhile to stay in Myanmar, is there nice places to visit or nice nature?

Or better Mae Sai?

Thanks again!

Ok, perfect, so Mae Sai is the place to go, and I will double check what they stamp in the passport.

So I need to go to the Arcade Bus Terminal the same day or buy a ticket in advance for big bus?

One more question, is it worthwhile to stay in Myanmar, is there nice places to visit or nice nature?

Or better Mae Sai?

Thanks again!

So, it all can be done in one day if you plan well; otherwise you could take a few days if you want to spend some time in Mae Sai...which is a pretty quiet town.

The bus is much safer than a mini-van. Those van drivers have a death wish; actually you will most likely make the round trip, but nobody does this twice...or so I heard. The larger buses are safer, and there are mid-sized buses that go to Mae Sai without stopping to pick up others along the way. Oh, come to think if it, it does make just one stop for a 15-minute rest break. Anyway, the folks at the Arcade Bus Terminal can help you. Up and back should be about 600 baht.

The bus station in Mae Sai is on the south edge of town, so you--and most of your bus companions--will transfer to a local red song-thaew which will take you directly to the immigration office at the border. You will get your passport stamped out of Thailand, walk across the small bridge into Burma, enter their immigration office, have your photo taken, pay your fee(either with a new-ish US$10 bill or 500 baht, remain in Burma for a couple hours, or go directly back across the bridge into Thailand. Tell the Burmese officer what your intention is, and he will give you your passport immediately, otherwise they will keep it until you return from shopping in Burma. At Thai immigration you complete a new arrival card, and present it with your passport for your second 60-day stay. Be sure, as others have noted, that you are given 60 days rather than the normal walk-in amount of 15 days. (At end of the 60 days you can get a 30-day extension at Chiang Mai immigration.)

You can now spend a bit more time in Mae Sai looking around and eating before catching another red song-thaew back to the bus station where you and many others will re-board the bus back to Chiang Mai. You'll arrive in Chiang Mai somewhere around 6 pm if I remember right. Incidentally, there are not a lot of sharp turns back and forth along this route, so you should have no problems with getting an upset stomach.

I've always gone to Arcade 1 day ahead to buy tix. The "Green Bus" to Mae Sai is the government line; smooth ride and VIP seating. ~650 baht return. Good luck!

Just did the run to Mae Sai last week, never encountered more pleasant Burmese immigration officers before, they seem to have the "Welcome" mat out. But they don't take the US funny money anymore....500 baht is more than $10 usd!

The Trip by 'Green Bus' takes 4hrs up @ 361 baht VIP - make sure you book the Chiang Mai-Mae Sai bus. The seats are spacious and comfortable to have an infant in arms.

Can book the ticket from the new bus station, leaves either very early morning or at around 10am. arrives the bus station around 2pm - pay the 15 baht for a songtaw to the border and again back to the Mae Sai bus station.

* Don't forget your baby's passport smile.png

I think the last bus to CM leaves from Mae Sai bus station at 3:30pm - arrives back to CM around 9pm

• Like 1

We were there on 20th Jan and the Burmese wouldn't accept 10 dollars even though they had on 6th Jan. They insisted on 500 B

It only takes them 5 mins to do the paperwork and not an hour.

On Mae Sai side of bridge, Thai Immigration collected 100 baht from each of three of us. Was that because we opted to leave our passports with them and use photocopy to enter Burma? Crossed bridge into Tachilek on Wednesday (23rd) and Burma Immigration collected 500 baht each. I asked if I could use US$10, and was told absolutely not - baht only.

What you did was a VIP pass, for Thai residents wanting to shop only in Tachilek.

The OP needs to complete a visa run, meaning exit Thailand, enter Myanmar, then return to Thailand for visa purposes.

As I said in my above post, they do accept $10 occasionally- I just did so successfully.

Has to be flawless, new series, unfolded, no marks, etc.

Not disputing the 500B/$10 USD issue at all.

It is like CM Immigration, doing a 90 day report- it is the luck of the draw what happens on one day, vs. what happens on the next.....wink.png

Yes that is true Mcgriffith .....luck of the draw with the immigration, but really if they have sticky fingers the baht simply holds more value than the USD(currently in this context).

In the pass I have been cheated from the Burmese by giving them a $20 and getting a blank look for change. Just for fun I tried it again and prepared a psychological guilt-trip to lay on them......they did it and so I did it.....and it worked , they reluctantly gave me back the change, all in $1 notes that looked strangely counterfeit (USDwhistling.gif ) took them home and my bank accepted them for exchange.

Some days the Burmese immigration office can be filled with a gang of the dirtiest dogs around,yet another day filled with polite and welcoming faces.

I just came back from a lovely trip to Mae Sariang and from there over to the Burma border at the Salawin River. It has a bit of everything if you like the country. It is a scenic 4 hour drive from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang and not nearly so twisty a road as the one to Pai. There is lots of accommodation in Mae Sariang and a few reasonable places to eat. But, there is little or no night life. The whole town shuts down about 9 PM.

• Like 1

I just came back from a lovely trip to Mae Sariang and from there over to the Burma border at the Salawin River. It has a bit of everything if you like the country. It is a scenic 4 hour drive from Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang and not nearly so twisty a road as the one to Pai. There is lots of accommodation in Mae Sariang and a few reasonable places to eat. But, there is little or no night life. The whole town shuts down about 9 PM.

This sounds very appealing! We also sleep at 9 so no problem ;)

Any suggestion in good public transport to Mae Sariang?

Did u stay in the Burma side?

How much accommodation/ food?

Any vegetarian options? Of course we can survive with rice omelette and veg pad thai for a couple of days...

Thanks so much, I will evaluate this option too :)

As I said in my above post, they do accept $10 occasionally- I just did so successfully.

Has to be flawless, new series, unfolded, no marks, etc.

Not disputing the 500B/$10 USD issue at all.

No problem also with the 500B/$10 long discussion... But one question: Do I need to pay for Baby too?

Will this be a 500B/$20 for us?

D

My knowledge of the Mae Sariang area is a little old - I've spent little time there since 2008, but last I knew, the border point directly west of Mae Sariang (about 100km west) was closed to Thais and others. Mae Sot was open to only Thais and Burmese. The nearest 'white' crossing point was Mae Sai.

Can you confirm that there is a border point west of Mae Sariang that is open to non-locals? Where passports can be stamped etc? TBH I'm not even sure what's going on in Mae Sot any more.

I'm sorry if I might have confused the OP. I thought the topic was about a pleasant countryside trip in Thailand. There is no border crossing to get a visa stamp anywhere along the western border of Thailand and Burma. As others have stated, Mai Sai is the easiest and shortest route from Chiang Mai to make that happen. I don't worry about the few extra dollars between 500 baht and an American $10 bill. I have better use for my time than arguing with a border guard over a few dollars. It is an all day trip from Chiang Mai to Mai Sai and return by bus. It is an interesting trip to do ONCE. They roll up the streets and close the city after 6 PM when all the tourist busses have left.

The Trip by 'Green Bus' takes 4hrs up @ 361 baht VIP - make sure you book the Chiang Mai-Mae Sai bus. The seats are spacious and comfortable to have an infant in arms.

Can book the ticket from the new bus station, leaves either very early morning or at around 10am. arrives the bus station around 2pm - pay the 15 baht for a songtaw to the border and again back to the Mae Sai bus station.

Hey thanks! Is 361 baht one way? So, 722 total?

And, do I need to pay for baby 500 bath too?

Where is new bus station?

D

Hey thanks! Is 361 baht one way? So, 722 total?

And, do I need to pay for baby 500 bath too?

Where is new bus station?

D

The new bus station is right across the road from the old bus station. Just look for the newer building and you will find it. The Green bus ticket seller is on your left just as you go in the front door. I think there is a 6AM bus and an 8 AM bus. Get your tickets a few days ahead and you'll get the better seats.

I doubt if you have to pay the 500 baht for the baby, but I'm just guessing.