True Adsl Cuts My Upload Speeds

GreenSnapper

Up to now I had TRUE ADSL with 7Mb/s download, and 1 Mb/s upload speed. Cost was 799 Bt plus VAT.

Now I get the latest bill, and what do I see?

Without asking me, or even informing me, they have changed the contract.

Now I get 10Mb/s download, but only 512Kb/s upload. Upload speed is now only half of what it used to be.

The costs are still the same: 799+VAT.

But even worse: The alleged new download speed of 10Mb/s is only in the bill. I tested several times during the day and my actual speeds are still 7Mb/s down, but 512Kb/s up.

So I get an even more crappy internet connection.

Service in Thailand......

What do True say ?

I haven't got True DSL but if it's any help the packages I have listed on an OLD leaflet here are:

7/512mbs : 599.-

9/1mbs : 899.-

12/1mbs : 1399.-

The new packages listed on true www are:

10/512 : 599.-

13/1 : 899.-

16/1 : 1399.-

There's also higher priced packages I have not listed.

Maybe you could ask to upgrade to 13/1 for an extra B100 without too much trouble? ..Twice the speed as you're getting now.

Edited by RandomSand

You should check what your modem says it is connected at (sorry for bad English).

Go to 192.168.1.1 and log in. If you don't know the username and password, try Googling it for your modem/router/ISP.

I'm currently connected at 17918 / 1278.

I get an old contact at B599 + VAT, for download 10Mbps / upload 512Kbps plus 512Kbps as promotion.

in reality my download down to 3Mbps ( sometime below 1Mbps ) and upload about 1Mbps. I rang True 1686 and call center said download should be about 0.9Mbps. True replaced a Billion modem yesterday, but no progress.

get back to you point, the 1Mbps may be a promotion offer.

Probably biggest advantage of True's cable offerings are the higher upload speeds...

I have 14 Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up...

But probably only within Thailand - i.e. not to/from international sites.

Fortunately, ISPs are cacheing more and Google/Youtube etc have servers nearby with fast links to them.

Using p2p, I can sometimes get 1.98 MB/s down speeds - about 16 Mb/s.

Probably biggest advantage of True's cable offerings are the higher upload speeds...

I have 14 Mbps down and 1.4 Mbps up...

But probably only within Thailand - i.e. not to/from international sites.

Fortunately, ISPs are cacheing more and Google/Youtube etc have servers nearby with fast links to them.

Using p2p, I can sometimes get 1.98 MB/s down speeds - about 16 Mb/s.

The upload is actually more stable in speed, both local and international, likely due to the fact that a lot of usage is mainly downstream and much less upstream...

For me both well seeded torrents and http downloads normally come in at 13-14 Mbps (1.7 MBps).

For the http downloads I do need to use a download manager doing multiple simultanious streams to reach line speed.

Standard single downloads are all over the place...

I would kill for 7Mb/s.................. crying.gif

Why does the upload speed worry you?

Do you have to maintain a web site

or post torrent files?

Follow JetsetBkk's advice to get the rated speed from the modem's point of view

and then speedtest for the reality check

BTW You might need 192.168.1.254 for the address of the router

Why does the upload speed worry you?

Do you have to maintain a web site

or post torrent files?

while using SKYPE or alike, the upload speed makes a significant difference. at least in my case, with previous upload 0.5Mbps, no way I could do video chat, with upload 1.0Mbps the video chat is better ( I don't say good yet ).

Same basic thing happened to me, only difference were the download speeds involved. After talking to True for a long time, I finally found out that the program I was under had ended, and rather than increase my cost for the new program to maintain the same speeds, they cut my upload speed without letting me know, and kept me at a slightly reduced cost. Most people would not notice the change, as few upload more than a few pictures to facebook, but I am a photojournalist, and upload speeds are critical to me.

After talking with them, and for an increase of bt100, I was returned to my previous upload speed, and my download speed was increased. With the previous reduction in cost they instituted when they reduced my upload speed, and the new increase of bt100, the actual cost increase was only bt59. They had absolutely no explanation for not contacting me before they made these changes to my account.

Call them, and you will get the same explanation, and deal to return your upload speed to its original rating, and most likely get a faster download speed out of the deal too.

"Up to now I had TRUE ADSL with 7Mb/s download, and 1 Mb/s upload speed. Cost was 799 Bt plus VAT.

Now I get 10Mb/s download, but only 512Kb/s upload. Upload speed is now only half of what it used to be."

If they thought they were doing you a favour in upgrading your speed to 10mbs, but you are not happy with the reduced upload, Then I think it best to tell them that you need primarily need 1mbs upload ...so they would have to upgrade you to 13/1.

"I tested several times during the day and my actual speeds are still 7Mb/s down, but 512Kb/s up."

Are you using the True modem or your own? Either way; it might only be older ADSLv1 standard which only supports 8mbs down.

Thanks for all the replies!

It's my own, rather new modem (dlink) and should support all the speeds.

I'm actually quite upset that they downgraded my package, but charging 200Bt more than list price. TIT I suppose.

I'll contact True and try to haggle a better deal.

So I went to TRUE at Siam Square.

Inept people with almost no ability to speak English. I should prove that I have payed my bills, they asked. Check with your computer about my account I responded. They gave up on this.

Finally they booked a 10MB/512K package for 599 Bt. So at least I will not overpay from now.

I couldn't get the 1MB upload speed. Actually i could get it, one girl said I must pay 100Bt more and I agreed. I wrote it down on a paper: 10MB down, 1MB up.

The other girl failed with that difficult task. I noticed it later when coming home.

So now I have the cheapest package 10Mb/512K. It works well so far. I got a SMS to restart my router. Was not necessary actually.

I think I will wait for the bill, and then demand again 1MB up. I will not go to True/Siam again, useless staff.

my True Internet package is 10Mbps download and 0.5Mbps upload at B599 +VAT. in my contact there is an additional 0.5Mpbs upload as promotion, so 0.5Mbps + 0.5Mbps. as said, they can turn it off any time. so, keep on bothering them.

which True Shop you were in ? Digital Gateway staff understand and speak English well, as I saw their interface with other fareng. Saim Square soi 3, also one staff speaks good English.