Slingshots Anyone?

KRS1

its good hand eye coordination and back exercise.

hard to find the replacement surgical tube type band replacement though.

My wrist rocket is out of action until I find new bands ;-(

You can buy the surgical tube at most pharmacies. Just take a piece of the old one with you to show them. It's usually under the counter on a bulk roll.

There is definitely a question about the quality of tube used. Some say the tubing from a pharmacy etc is thin and breaks easier.

The bigger question is getting the pouch connected to the tube. My experience is that its difficult to keep it attached and when it lets loose its a danger to the user.

Does anyone have good experience with the pouch attachment? or someone who does it for a fee?

I picked up a band style SS last night on Loy Kroh... These ones have no power compared to a Wrist Rocket. Perhaps I need a thicker bands etc.

rats and pigeons make good targets also.

One technique I like for dogs is to aim at the ground just in front of me to skip or ricochet toward the dog... The pebble will take on a harmonic noise so the dog gets another que to beat it or risk a hurting.

When one gets good at selecting the right kind of pebble and angle of skipping then the noise is very similar to old west movie ricochet sound.

I guess you could label that animal cruelty but if a dog bites a person that dog might be put down so I look at it like training for a bad behavior.... And I don't aim at the head unless the dog is really aggressive.

For street dogs that accost me when I am walking I use chrome hex nuts about 1.25 CM in my slingshot... The hollow core makes a whistle - both audible and inaudible... gets the dogs attention for sure... After a few encounters they usually just run when they see me or at least when I raise my arms as if to shoot. smile.png

That gives a new meaning to Pavlov's dog...i like it

its good hand eye coordination and back exercise.

hard to find the replacement surgical tube type band replacement though.

My wrist rocket is out of action until I find new bands ;-(

You can buy the surgical tube at most pharmacies. Just take a piece of the old one with you to show them. It's usually under the counter on a bulk roll.

There is definitely a question about the quality of tube used. Some say the tubing from a pharmacy etc is thin and breaks easier.

The bigger question is getting the pouch connected to the tube. My experience is that its difficult to keep it attached and when it lets loose its a danger to the user.

Does anyone have good experience with the pouch attachment? or someone who does it for a fee?

I picked up a band style SS last night on Loy Kroh... These ones have no power compared to a Wrist Rocket. Perhaps I need a thicker bands etc.

i use rubber cuffs, but some people stretch the bands then tie them with cotton thread/twine , but have a protective layer of thin leather to prevent it from cutting the rubber.

Here's how:

Edited by KRS1

For the flat bands, a lot of compitition shooters make their own using exercise 'Therabands' that they cut to size. The black, blue, and gold bands, doubled, seem to be most prevelant. One Theraband can make quite a few replacements.

Other exercise bands will also work but you have to do some experimenting. I have theraband gold, it has the highest resistance, but more prone to breaking if cut too short. A good tube is from Dankung, i use the 1745 for cuffs. The 1745 is about half the width of regular surgical tubing, but just as strong if not stronger.

Slingshots are silent and can be deadly in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.

So are cucumbers.

Farts even morso.

I haven't used a slingshot since I was 10, made them myself with elastic bands sourced from the local dump. The pouch was made from the tongue of an old shoe. The fork was carefully selected after hours of searching to locate the perfect fork. The shaft needs to be kept short, with the thumb and index finger running up the arms of the fork. As a male,, I would be embarrassed to go into a shop and buy one. If would be similar to ringing a breakdown service to have a car puncture fixed.

oh, c'mon your never too old for a slingshot ! Every person i ever introduced them to always got hooked.
  • Like 1

My father was a useless alcoholic who took off when I was a kid.

I have to dig deep to find any bit of useful advice or information that he left as his heritage...

But he did one day teach me to fire a slingshot. And his advice was that you always hold the vee of the handle horizontal...never vertical...

If you hold it horizontal and the rubber breaks...you have less chance of being blinded...

Maybe this is why cops/robbers in the movies hold their pistols sideways?

I have some flatbands left if some shooters are still interested in getting some bands.I can get them to work in place of tubes also.

I dont want anything for these, just so you know.

Anyone know where I can get clay to make shots?

I have some flatbands left if some shooters are still interested in getting some bands.I can get them to work in place of tubes also.

Some time back I bought a bag of clay (2-3kg?) at the stationary store near the Irish Pub. 2nd floor item. Oddly enough, I too was making sling 'shot,' but not the round projectiles for a 'slingshot.' Rather, I was making the traditional 'sling' projectiles, the sort with which David slew Goliath.

Some time back I bought a bag of clay (2-3kg?) at the stationary store near the Irish Pub. 2nd floor item. Oddly enough, I too was making sling 'shot,' but not the round projectiles for a 'slingshot.' Rather, I was making the traditional 'sling' projectiles, the sort with which David slew Goliath.

cool, i was thinking about trying to use a sling.

Do you think dried clay the same size as a peanut M&M would be heavier than that M&M?...Or around the same or lighter?

The Irish pub on Ratvithi road?

Edited by KRS1

Just a bit heavier, would be my 'guess.' The projectiles I was making were just about the size of ping pong balls, and were quite heavy. I didn't bake them after they dried, which would have made them much stronger, but as I was only 'target shooting' with them, didn't feel the need. As it was, they still managed to bust my car window when I messed up a throw... bah.gif Those old slings are really powerful weapons. Once I started playing with them I fully understood why so many of the ancient armies had full battalions of slingers. Those guys often used cast lead biconical loads and 3-4 foot slings. That puts out a LOT of energy!

Just a bit heavier, would be my 'guess.' The projectiles I was making were just about the size of ping pong balls, and were quite heavy. I didn't bake them after they dried, which would have made them much stronger, but as I was only 'target shooting' with them, didn't feel the need. As it was, they still managed to bust my car window when I messed up a throw... bah.gif Those old slings are really powerful weapons. Once I started playing with them I fully understood why so many of the ancient armies had full battalions of slingers. Those guys often used cast lead biconical loads and 3-4 foot slings. That puts out a LOT of energy!

As a kid (kids can do dangerous things) - I used to throw M-80s and Cherry Bombs the equivalent of one to two city blocks - way up in the air ... bursting over houses... My grandmother was not pleased. Slings are great fun... and you are right - they are much more powerful than one might imagine...

Some people forget that 'toys' such as boomerangs and yoyos started their lives as killing weapons. Bows and arrows, slings, even trebuchet (think: watermelon throws) that today are used for sport and amusement, were all weapons of death at one time. Some folks secretly harbor the 'desire to kill' and because of the conflict within their own morality standards must project it on anyone they see using these toys today.

Pity them. They are the ones with the problem.

If you pick up some Plaster of Paris and a small bag of marbles, you can easily make a mold for producing clay projectiles quickly and in large number. Just choose the size marble you want to reproduce in clay, oil them with some cooking oil, and press into the semi-firm plaster. Make two sides, like a bullet mold, and you can turn out sling or sling shot rounds pretty fast! Roll out the clay, press between the two sides of the mold, and trim away the excess.

Hey good news for anyone looking for elastics, i found some flatbands at the Pharma Choice on Suthep road.

The brand is Sanctband from Malaysia and should be the equivalent of Theraband, it ran 250 baht for 1.5 meters x 5 inches (about) . These are flat sheets so you will have to cut them to size. Grey is suppose to be the equivalent to Theraband Gold, not sure i saw it, but know they had the blueberry or plum color which is the second strongest. Click on the link to see the resistance chart.

Edited by KRS1

If you pick up some Plaster of Paris and a small bag of marbles, you can easily make a mold for producing clay projectiles quickly and in large number. Just choose the size marble you want to reproduce in clay, oil them with some cooking oil, and press into the semi-firm plaster. Make two sides, like a bullet mold, and you can turn out sling or sling shot rounds pretty fast! Roll out the clay, press between the two sides of the mold, and trim away the excess.

Went to the staionary store on your suggestion, but they stopped selling the kind of clay that hardens, and only had the oil clay thats reformable...im gonna stick some out in the sun and see if i can get it to harden...cost 12 baht for 150 grams

lots of good projectiles to purchase from the gardening vendors behind(south) the Kham Thiang Tesco.

rocks, pebbles, ceramic... cheap too.

I think i know where that is, i will go check it out after this round of ammo is up...i found some 0.25 " (about) ball bearings today, exactly 130 for 40 baht...i dont really like them though because they move to fast and cant see them in flight.

I got some flourescent orange clay from the post above and am going to try encasing some shot with it and see what its like.

Went to the staionary store on your suggestion, but they stopped selling the kind of clay that hardens, and only had the oil clay thats reformable...im gonna stick some out in the sun and see if i can get it to harden...cost 12 baht for 150 grams

That clay really won't harden. It will, however, leave a great big oil stain on what ever surface you leave it on, especially in hot weather. But you can easily get big bags of clay that hardens in most of the garden centers, especially the big one behind Tesco. You can even have your choice of gray or red! That stuff WILL harden as it dries, and get even harder if you bake it in a very hot oven or in your BBQ grill.

Yep, i dont think this orange oil clay is going to dry, its getting mushier in the sunlight...lol

Will get to the area behind Lotus when i find a bike, thanks for the tips from everyone about the clay.