Can You 'switch Off' Your Regional Accent When Teaching?

simon43

At the school where I teach, I am the most sought-after teacher for teaching both primary kids and adult classes. So much so, that I teach 7 days per week.

Why?

Apparently, it is not my good looks that are swaying parents' and students' decisions...

It is because I speak 'Oxford' or 'The Queen's English', with no regional UK accent, and all my students find it easy to understand me.

Now I was brought up in the British Midlands, and can speak with a broad, regional accent. But I was taught by my parents to 'switch off' my regional accent when necessary, so that others could more easily understand me.

I do teach understanding of different regional accents in my adult classes, because it's certainly important for ESL students to have exposure to these types of English.

But the fact remains that our Scottish ESL teacher is not popular with either students nor parents smile.png

And that raises my question:

Do you speak with a regional accent, such as UK Welsh, Scottish, Brumie, Scouse etc etc? Are you able to 'switch it off' when teaching? And do you do so?

In Thailand, most Thais from different regions can switch to speaking in Bangkok Thai when requested.

So if you're a Brit, can you switch to speaking Oxford English if requested?

How about Americans, Australians, Canadians etc? Is there a 'Bangkok' accent for you as well?

Simon

Edited by simon43

Your parents must be able to speak English really well if they can distinguish different regional accents!

My School has a girl from Uganda teaching one of the kindergarten classes, yet I can't understand a word she says. blink.png

I am also from the midlands in England. My students usually have no problem with understanding what I am saying. The one problem I do have is when I call back home and my family think I have become retarded because I am speaking slower and more clearer. But I find it easy to switch back to my normal speaking manner once my mum makes a joke about me sounding daft.

^^^^^^^

That friend of yours is probably hiding his midwestern accent because if you're from the States, those accents are associated with the poor and/or uneducated.

I grew up in California and speak with no regional accent. Put me in New York, Glasgow, Sidney, or Bangkok and I speak the same as I always have. You'll just know I'm from America.

• Like 1

I grew up in some accent-unfriendly areas - Scotland, South Africa and Bristol ( Oo-arrr)

Fortunately my mother was an English teacher, with her help, I never really developed these regional accents.

Also I lived in the Oxford/London area for about 20 years, so I had to follow suit or be ridiculed - particularly regarding the West Country drawl.

However, I loved these places and have no issues with anyone's accent, indeed it adds colour and individuality.

But if you are teaching English as a second/foreign language, you need to give the students a fighting chance smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Am a yokel (Zummerset), but moved around the Southern areas of the UK all my childhood as Dad was in the Navy. Then joined the Army met people from everywhere in the UK, so no accent. Used to get praised for it as well, as it is clear.

But when I go home after a couple of days I start to pick up the old accent, especially when with the Wurzels on me Combine harvester.

• Like 2

It's very similar to other languages like German. Not too many are able to speak the so called "High German", (without being high).which is understandable to all German speakers.

I grew up in a bilingual environment, using English and German from early childhood on. The fact that I grew up with Americans makes me sound like I'd be American. But all English speaking people understand me, while I find it difficult to understand Cockney English, Welsh, Birmingham English, etc.

To be perfectly honest, people who're teaching English should be able to adjust their speech in a way that it's easy to understand. How should Thai kids understand some of us, if American native English speakers have to ask colleagues at least twice "what's said"?

Same problem with Germans. Many can't speak proper German, just mumbling their local slang, using wrong Grammar etc.....

I personally believe the so called "Queen's English" is pretty nice and easy to understand.---wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Your parents must be able to speak English really well if they can distinguish different regional accents!

Puyai, was your comment addressed to me? I'm confused by it :) My parents can certainly identify perhaps more than 20 different UK regional accents, - as can I.

My classes of Burmese students can differentiate Cockney accents from Liverpool accents, Welsh from Scottish accents....

But no-one has yet answered my initial question:

If you speak with a strong, regional accent, do you have the ability to 'switch it off' and speak "The Queen's English"? (if you're a Brit!)

Simon

^^^^^^

Since as far back as when my parents were in school.

I don't mind anyone's accent, but some midwestern folk seem to be conscious of their accents outside of the midwest.

If you say so. Grew up in the states - both coasts - and lived in the Southwest and the South for a year at a time and I'm unaware of this alleged perception (nor have any of the Midwesterners I know ever spoke of it or any self-consciousness about their accent) and I don't recall this being reflected in popular media (ie film or television) which is an excellent barometer of mainstream thoughts and prejudices.

The Southern accent, on the other hand, does in my experience get a bad rap and often evokes the sort of image you describe.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Like a previous poster, I am from California and have a general American accent. As this is the "Hollywood" accent, all I have to do is slow down my speech a bit when I'm talking to Thais or other non-native speakers.

Yes, I agree: a "general American accent." As for the gent talking about midwestern versus southern accents, while I am sure there are specific idiosyncratic differences, simply put, if you have a regional accent that sounds like it comes from either area, as a native Californian, I don't really try to differentiate between the two. Both sound like they are from the boonies.

Puyai, was your comment addressed to me? I'm confused by it smile.png My parents can certainly identify perhaps more than 20 different UK regional accents, - as can I.

My classes of Burmese students can differentiate Cockney accents from Liverpool accents, Welsh from Scottish accents....

But no-one has yet answered my initial question:

If you speak with a strong, regional accent, do you have the ability to 'switch it off' and speak "The Queen's English"? (if you're a Brit!)

Simon

I think he was referring to your students' parents - as in your third sentence :)

Regards to your answer, I am not qualified to answer, I only have one 'accentless' English accent :)

Like a previous poster, I am from California and have a general American accent. As this is the "Hollywood" accent, all I have to do is slow down my speech a bit when I'm talking to Thais or other non-native speakers.

Yes, I agree: a "general American accent." As for the gent talking about midwestern versus southern accents, while I am sure there are specific idiosyncratic differences, simply put, if you have a regional accent that sounds like it comes from either area, as a native Californian, I don't really try to differentiate between the two. Both sound like they are from the boonies.

Ah, now I get it - you were talking about YOUR biases and stereotyping. No wonder you didn't answer when I asked, "by whom?"

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

My school has always remarked that I'm very easy to understand, unless I start talking about rugby with our Welsh teacher, in which case they can't understand anything lol.

As I unconsciously turn on my "teaching voice" while I'm at school, where I try to speak slowly and clearly all the time.

Although I guess I don't really have a strong accent anyway, since I lived in Auckland Central, so was always talking to people who weren't necessarily born in NZ (and were also often not native speakers)

I must watch my Aussie 'a' as it does sound like an 'i' I try to say it more like an 'e', so the kids don't get confused. We use an 'a' very often, everydiy, oopsI...everyday. Can't blame them for having a little trouble getting used to an Aussie accent. We need our 'a' repeated back to us to know how we mangle it.

Hmm...I am American (from the west coast) and everybody tells me that American's are the easiest to understand out of all the other Native English speakers. Not sure if this is true. My Thai boyfriend was explaining to me that American's speak a bit slower and enunciate the words more often. Or maybe it's from Thai's watching so many American movies? Who knows...I'm just glad they can understand me! :D

Hmm...I am American (from the west coast) and everybody tells me that American's are the easiest to understand out of all the other Native English speakers. Not sure if this is true. My Thai boyfriend was explaining to me that American's speak a bit slower and enunciate the words more often. Or maybe it's from Thai's watching so many American movies? Who knows...I'm just glad they can understand me! biggrin.png

Funny that, my Head of English says that he understands 'English' English better than other variations, but he is a bit of an arse licker smile.png

But seriously, most Americans seem to love an audience, make a meal of their words, speak slower and as a result are easier to understand.

Often, we English NES, seem to be in a hurry to say our piece and move along, not usually a good trait.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

.... it takes some getting used to the idioms.

I once almost lost my job in another country because of idiomatic misunderstandings. I had some convoluted connections on public transport and it was quite frustrating. I told people at work I was really pissed. The boss called me in and said he understood that some people liked to drink, but getting pissed in the morning two or three times a week was not on!!

When something fortunate happened to my Thai friends, I kept using the idiom "You lucky dog!" After 100% negative responses, I stopped it. No one wants to be compared to a dog in Thailand, even if said canine is lucky.

Edited by Fookhaht

Though l am a ''cockney'' l can speak ''Oxford'' English if l want and l use that when conversing with Thai folk who are learning English. They all say they can understand me perfectly, but they have problems understanding their respective teachers. smile.png

in the 2 years i taught at a university in Bangkok (15 years ago) as a Canadian (west coast) i was the most sought after teacher due to the perceived neutrality of my accent.

this extended to the evening programs i taught 3 nights a week which were always full with repeat students, while other teachers were running at 50 percent or less.

Thankfully after an entertaining 2 years, i found an excellent job in my field and went back to the private sector.

I frequently encounter former students through work in some very good positions.

Edited by candypants