If You Rent A Scooter, Make Bloody Well Sure You Have A Licence

scorpio

cops are stopping on beach rd pattaya 12 hrs a day and also soi buahkaew amongst other places, i showed an international driving licence from eu but cop told me i could only drive truck and car ( no motorbike ) i am allowed to drive motorbike in eu.

make sure you have a licence if you intend to rent a scooter, and allways wear a helmet and do not even think about drinking and driving, the good old days are well and truley over !!!!!!

Bike and car 2 different licenses.

If you showed your international permit for a car it does not automatically translate into bike license.

wearing a helmet is no brainer really, so is driving drunk.

not sure what you mean by the good old days are over?, all the regulations have been in place for decades and always have been randomly enforced.

And what's the name of your high horse?

• Like 1

The international license has boxes at the back that have to be stamped for each vehicle type your home license carries. Ther last one I had was stamped on all five because I had Bike, Car and HGV licenses (UK), but if you only have a car license at home (or they didn't stamp the bike square) then you are not covered.

UK license is good, because the plastic photo Id has little pictures of what it covers - bike, car, truck, trailer, etc. so easy to show them.

If you showed your international permit for a car it does not automatically translate into bike license.

not sure what you mean by the good old days are over?, all the regulations have been in place for decades and always have been randomly enforced.

Trigger

Trigger

Burger

"The good old days" are aive and kicking oop North

No licence!

No helmet!

No Horses except for cources

And plenty of lubrication!thumbsup.gif

lubrication for the horses?giggle.gif ,

Lube for the horse?

Thats kinda like bragging isnt it? cheesy.gif

• Like 2

No licence!

No helmet!

Lube for the horse?

Just imagine what the horse has to saytongue.png

No licence!

No helmet!

Lube for the horse?

I would imagine that depends - AC or DC (plug or socket) - neigh!

If this is a thread about stating the obvious....may as well add....don't give your passport to rental firms and your travel insurance policy will pay out between 0-50% for motorbike-accident related expenses; I think they squeeze out of it with the 'act of an idiot' clause.

Edited by aussiebebe

If this is a thread about stating the obvious....may as well add....don't give your passport to rental firms and your travel insurance policy will pay out between 0-50% for motorbike-accident related expenses; I think they squeeze out of it with the 'act of an idiot' clause.

thats if they pay at all, because

1. Most insurances (travel) do not cover bike accidents at all. I think even hard to get local one to cover, they do like 15 000 baht cover which just about pays for the ambulance if you still alive

2. Must have bike license from your home country.

1. Most insurances (travel) do not cover bike accidents at all. I think even hard to get local one to cover, they do like 15 000 baht cover which just about pays for the ambulance if you still alive

So if you hire a scooter on a car licence you are illegal?

In the UK you can ride a scooter up to 125cc on a car licence with L plates.

This enforcement of the law could seriously damage the scooter hire industry in tourist places!

What percentage of tourists have a full bike licence about 0.5%?

On the positive side it means less road accidents and deaths. Also less oportunity to scam tourists.

This is all positive for tourism unless you get stuck up north in a horse while lubricating your tonsils with a large cold chang.

This enforcement of the law could seriously damage the scooter hire industry in tourist places!

On the positive side it means less road accidents and deaths. Also less oportunity to scam tourists.

This is all positive for tourism unless you get stuck up north in a horse while lubricating your tonsils with a large cold chang.

You can not ride a scooter in the UK up to 125 cc just with L Plates you have to undertake CBT,compulsory basic training,this is where people get caught out when renting motorcycles in places like Thailand,anything bigger you need the direct access course full license.

• Like 1

Will someone who truly knows the law please clarify? I have only a US driver's license. It is clearly marked with a motorcycle endorsement. I have lived in Chiang Mai twice, at the Riverside Apartments, and rented scooters for the entire 90 days both times. I was never stopped, but the rental places didn't question it and they looked at it.

I have also rented scooters for a few days on other visits.

So was I breaking the law? BTW the insurance came with the rental, assuming it was any good under the circumstances. ??

No licence!

No helmet!

Lube for the horse?

Just imagine what the horse has to saytongue.png

Unless it is a dead one you are .......

In the UK you must have a CBT, regardless of age, in order to ride up to 125cc..

You can not ride a scooter in the UK up to 125 cc just with L Plates you have to undertake CBT,compulsory basic training,this is where people get caught out when renting motorcycles in places like Thailand,anything bigger you need the direct access course full license.

Even this is slightly wrong - its not measured on CC any more - its meassured on power output. Some 125cc bikes are too powerful for CBT backed learner status, some modifed 400cc bikes are designed to fit under the power limit. There is also a difference with age after the CBT too - 16, 17 and 21 I think being the steps.

I rode a 125 on my car license back in the day (indeed I rode a 50cc on a previsional with not so much as a lesson - legally, at 16), but when I took the bike test I had to do a CBT, a theory test and an on-road bike test (although I had been riding for 15 years by that point - since 16 on a pre-restriction AP50 - illegally rebored to an 80 :D). As I was over 21 there was no restriction on the bike I could ride afterwards - this was the year they introduced the CBT (hence I took the test) - I also upgraded by 125 to a 600 Bandit too (helped along by a nice fella who side rammed me on the 125 doing an illegal U-Turn through me in his tin box!).

Will someone who truly knows the law please clarify? I have only a US driver's license. It is clearly marked with a motorcycle endorsement. I have lived in Chiang Mai twice, at the Riverside Apartments, and rented scooters for the entire 90 days both times. I was never stopped, but the rental places didn't question it and they looked at it.

So was I breaking the law? BTW the insurance came with the rental, assuming it was any good under the circumstances. ??

As I said before - it depends on the stamps on your international driving permit AND your home license. You can not legally drive here on just your home license, and you IDP can not endorse more than your home license allows (hence you must bring both). If you are allowed to ride a bike back home on your license, make sure they stamp the bike box on your IDP (as well as car) - then you are covered under international treaty agreement (1926/1949/1968 as ammended) as per the in. license scheme. It is the same everywhere (although there are two version of int driving permit for countries that have slightly different agreements - Thailand uses the normal one (only Somalia and Iraq I believe use the other).

Categories (boxes stamped) are as follows:

A - Motor cycles, with or without a side-car, invalid carriages and three-wheeled motor vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 400 kg (900 lbs).

B - Motor vehicles used for the transport of passengers and comprising, in addition to the driver's seat, at most eight seats, or those used for the transport of goods and having a permissible maximum weight not exceeding 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

C - Motor vehicles used for the transport of goods and of which the permissible maximum weight exceeds 3,500 kg (7,700 lbs). Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

D - Motor vehicles used for the transport of passengers and comprising, in addition to the driver's seat, more than eight seats. Vehicles in this category may be coupled with a light trailer.

E - Motor vehicles of category B, C, or D, as authorized above, with other than light trailer.

Edited by wolf5370

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) was introduced on 1 December 1990 for all new provisional licence holders of both mopeds and motorcycles. All learner riders are required to complete CBT before riding on the road (with the exception of riders who have passed a full moped test since December 1990). Full car licence holders qualifying after 1 February 2001 must also complete a CBT course before riding a moped on the road. Since 1 February 2001 individuals wishing to ride motorcycle combinations and mopeds with more than two wheels can now take CBT on these types of machine.

The point being that if you have not passed your full bike test or a CBT you will not have it on your International licence. Ergo you'll not have the right to ride a bike, regardless of cc, in Thailand... Correct?

Edited by Petesear

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) was introduced on 1 December 1990 for all new provisional licence holders of both mopeds and motorcycles. All learner riders are required to complete CBT before riding on the road (with the exception of riders who have passed a full moped test since December 1990). Full car licence holders qualifying after 1 February 2001 must also complete a CBT course before riding a moped on the road. Since 1 February 2001 individuals wishing to ride motorcycle combinations and mopeds with more than two wheels can now take CBT on these types of machine.

The point being that if you have not passed your full bike test or a CBT you will not have it on your International licence. Ergo you'll not have the right to ride a bike, regardless of cc, in Thailand... Correct?

Yes and no. If you have passed only the CBT (bike wise) then you can ride IN THE UK with L plates on a bike of sufficiently low power (age determined) - however, this will not be applied your IDP as it is still only a permit to learn how to drive(ride) on British roads and thus doesn't constitute part of the original 1926 (and ammended 49 and 68) agreement. To be allowed to ride a motorcycle (there is no separate moped endorsement on the IDP) one MUST have a full bike test license in the UK to get box A stamped in the IDP (see my post above about box A etc). This will differ for people from other countries as it is pertitnant to that country's laws with regard to bike entitlement (i.e. it may well be different, and probably is, with an IDP issued in the States)

Yes you were breaking the law because technically the license as you said was US issued, where legally you needed the International permit as well, as a result while you paid for the insurance it was actually null, because you did not have valid license.

Furthermore if you really read into the policy it would have been declined even if you did have international permit, because in small writing in Thai it says must have local drivers license.

But do not worry to much, because i personally do not have thai drivers license(bike), only car, and so far i have never been fined even at the check points, because police seem to either over look it or not look properly enough when i produce a 5 year driver license(car)

In all the times, i was stopped, after seeing Thai DL, they did not even really read it, but move on to ask for rego, thats not to say that i may have been lucky all the times i was stopped.

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

in udon thani , i,m sure bike for bike more farangs ride without a helmet than thais

they know the chance of police stopping them is small and when cought its only a

200bt fine , without an helmet they can ride around all day showing just how COOL

they are .......

Most expats in Udon wear helmets.... well, the ones that live in Udon. Can't speak for the 'tourist' types. Most Thais do not wear helmets.

If you get stopped for no helmet, Thai or expat, it is indeed a 200 baht fine and a ticket.

The really COOL part is being able to ride around without a helmet for the rest of the day. You just wave the 'paid already' ticket and carry one.

Edited by NanLaew