Why Do People Use The Word 'partner'?

MrHammer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partner sounds like someone you play bridge, whist or tennis with........not very imaginative when refering to a long term lover, in fact rather demeaning.....in my opinion

always sounded to me like a practical arrangement and not an expression of love/lust

Sometimes, that's what it is.

I used to hate referring to my business partner as my partner, because of the potential misunderstanding. So I made an effort to remember to say business partner. But who knows, in a few years that term might have other connotations too.

I have never referred to a love interest as a partner.

• Like 1

Partner is simply what you call your other half when you're in a same sex relationship. It's less shocking than saying "my boyfriend" or "my girlfriend" especially if you're dealing with bigots. Plus it's more accurate in countries where gays can't legally wed. Technically they aren't your "husband" or "wife", so life partner would be more accurate.

Yes, indeed. I use the word partner because I'm in a long-term same-sex relationship. Boyfriend sounds temporary, lover sounds as if it's just for sex.

The same problem applies even if you're legally linked in a civil partnership or gay marriage. There's no real, polite alternative.

In North America, there is a legal classification for domestic partners. in the early days, a domestic partner was defined as a committed member of a same-sex couple. The rationale was that heterosexual couples in a committed relationship had the option of marriage, an option not available to same-sex couples. However, many states and provinces have changed the laws so that domestic partnerscan mean any type of couple. I believe the intent is to allow partners to access the others benefits. It has become especially important as private pensions shrink, and people needed access to health care plans in the USA.

However, I was surprised to learn that in the USA is also a legal term used for elderly people that live together as a couple. Apparently, if one partner is aged 62 or older and the 2 geezers marry, they can lose some or all of their social security benefits.

Yes, indeed. I use the word partner because I'm in a long-term same-sex relationship. Boyfriend sounds temporary, lover sounds as if it's just for sex.

The same problem applies even if you're legally linked in a civil partnership or gay marriage. There's no real, polite alternative.

You could ways use the term "significant other" probably as well, not that it matters because "partner" pretty much covers it too. In the states you could also use the term "mate" which is different from the way it is used in the commonwealth countries.

I use the word partner when writing a thread topic because its quicker than writing boyfriend girlfriend husband wife same sex boyfriend or girlfriend. Any of these are your partner.Understand?

Its used in the English language regularly an example would be on a wedding invitation or any type of written invitation. It is the same in alot of ways as a business or work partner as my wife is my business partner because we make decisions together.

part·ner

/ˈpärtnər/

Noun

A person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others, esp. in a business or company with shared risks and profits.

Verb

Be the partner of: "he partnered her for the waltz and the tango".

Synonyms

associate - mate - companion - fellow - consort

Hope that helps a bit?...Sorry if Im repeating anything already said but I didnt read the whole thread.

You could ways use the term "significant other" probably as well, not that it matters because "partner" pretty much covers it too. In the states you could also use the term "mate" which is different from the way it is used in the commonwealth countries.

No, I could not use the term 'significant other' in ordinary conversation, which is really what I'm referring to. The expression makes me cringe, just as 'lady wife' does!

I think there is an age factor involved here too. I am 35 and out of all my mates, only one has got married. The rest of us have partners. Sure, I suppose it originated as PC, but these days it's a useful way of upgrading the relationship from f***buddy, b/friend, g/friend to something which remains less than marriage. It's commitment without the bells or contract. It's also a lot cheaper to enter into, and exit from. Maybe that's cynical. But it's true.

• Like 1

I had this discussion with my Thai girlfriend / wife and she really did not understand "partner" for pesonal relations, only for business. But for me

- companion is the one for one night

- girlfriend is the one for some time to come until it get's boring...

- partner in the West is the person to which you are committed, share good and bad but are not yet married

- partner in Thailand is obviously only business partners, an expresion not known for personal relationships

- wife in the West is used after marriage, in Thailand all girlfriends want to be called "wife" after the first few nights...

That's how it was explained to me... that's why I call my girlfriend my wife even without marriage.

• Like 1

I would suggest that many adjust the description of their love interest depending on if they are within hearing distance or not!! biggrin.png I agrre with the post above by Swiss. the way in Thailand appears to be that if a female moves in with you she is living as your wife, so I guess for the time she is there this would be an apt title. The PC term in the west I believe is 'common law wife' I guess some guys use other terms to reinforce the fact they can walk away at any time smile.png

I use words like "my partner" to be more formal, "my better half" otherwise. Apart from people's emotional associations, I like those terms because they are gender-neutral, just like Thais have the word "fan", which means gf or bf. :)

Remember the thread about the farangs asking Thai ladies if they have a boyfriend? Well guys if you only refer to Thai ladies/men as 'partner' I would expect them quite rightly to say 'no do not have a boyfriend' and who is going to blame them! You get what you deserve sometimes in this world, and not showing true commitment carries its' own risks.

• Like 1

I use words like "my partner" to be more formal, "my better half" otherwise. Apart from people's emotional associations, I like those terms because they are gender-neutral, just like Thais have the word "fan", which means gf or bf. smile.png

But does partner and 'fan' hold the same meaning? Some Scandinavian languages (Norwegian and Danish, but not really Sweden) have the word Kæreste/Kjæreste which directly translates to 'dearest' and is used by both men and women to refer to romantic interest regardless of gender. So it is a gender neutral word but clearly with romantic intent. And the Scandinvians are the most gender neutral in the world. But partner clearly doesn't signal romantic interest in itself. It would seem English could use a new gender-neutral word for relationships.

Then some languages like German seem to have difficulty with specifying the extent of ones relations using 'freund' or 'freundin', which just means friend and female friend, but where English speakers would just use friend for both sexes if it is non-romantic.

So maybe it comes down to the English language being heavily used by protestant christians with a very strict view of how dating (a word which doesn't even have an equal in many languages) translates into marriage. You're either dating (boyfriend/girlfriend), engaged (fiancee) or married (wife/husband). Although there are words like lover/fling, I don't think they are appropiate in everyday conversation?

While more advanced societies in the aspect of love and lust (Thailand for example) have more words to describe the relations that people can have to each other.

Correct?

I used to refer to my ex as my partner. "Girl" was the second to last word I would use to describe her.....second only to "friend". bah.gif

For some inexpliable reason, she objected to being referred to as the b-tchfromhell. whistling.gif

Edited by Rob8891