Boots

mania

I had been looking for some Boots & was resigned to

going with some work boots just for the protection.

Reasons were....

1- While I have owned full on Race boots I do not want to wear full on race boots for street use.

2- The street specific boots I have seen where very bulky & many times too thick

in the toe area for sport bike shifting.

But, I found these which have just come out by TCX

I noticed from the video that they are not available in the USA till March but you can get them here in Thailand already

I bought them from the distributor after seeing his ad in the recent SuperBike Magazine Thailand edition

They are called the TCX X-Move boot & they are IMHO very nicely done.

Very good protection where you need it. Heel, toes & the Malleolus bones inside & outside ( medial/lateral )

They are stiff soled & the uppers while stiff are comfy & I am sure will break in more as I use them.

Lastly they look great with jeans biggrin.png

Meaning I can have protection & not feel like an alien when I land at a restaurant or need to go into a store

as opposed to wearing full race boots on the street.

Anyway just thought I would mention them as they are new & maybe others are looking for new boots too.

I have no affiliation with company nor distributor but will say I also had great service & had them EMS delivered from

Bangkok to Chiangmai with tracking in 1 day at no charge above the advertised price of the boot.

Here is a pic & also a video review from the US where they only have the sample boot at this time

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Meaning I can have protection & not feel like an alien when I land at a restaurant or need to go into a store

as opposed to wearing full race boots on the street.

I looked, it's a slow day. I guess in a restaurant they would be under the table so OK. Otherwise they look like something an ice-skaters friend would wear.

tcxx_move_wp_boots_black_detail.jpg

As opposed to TCX Street or TCX Urban.

I looked, it's a slow day. I guess in a restaurant they would be under the table so OK. Otherwise they look like something an ice-skaters friend would wear.

As opposed to TCX Street or TCX Urban.

No really they look fine I swear

Unless of course you ride in shorts with boots smile.png

In fact look at the video with the pic of the guy pressing the brake lever.

30 seconds into video

Under jeans they look like normal shoes. 100%

But, have all the protection

Edited by mania

Thanks Mania, I've been looking for something like this myself. I have some AlpineStars SMX for long trips and they are great but they're no good on shorter journeys. I feel like I've just taken off my ski's when I get off the bike - very conspicuous in Bangkok... The fact they are white doesn't help...

Under a pair of jeans these could pass for trainers by the looks of things...

What did you pay?

What did you pay?

I paid 5900 baht which given the prices I saw for basic Catapillar brand work boots etc here

I thought was a very good deal for a full waterproof & has all the safety features.

I am a bit biased about boot safety because I had a pal back home who lowsided & the bike crushed his ankle/ Malleolus bone

He was wearing soft leather work boots

It was the most painful break I have ever seen & took him forever to walk again. He never was 100% again either in that area.

The distributor is Panda Rider in Bangkok & the head guy is very nice & returns emails promptly.

If you want I can pm you his info or you can check their website

pandarider dot com Click products then boots then TCX to see their line

They also have another new boot called the Jupiter Evo but it is 2k more I think because it has the name brand Gortex insert

It is also slightly less tall but has the rear cut out which is sometimes preferred by some riders. Nice boot too!

boots_TCX_7114G.jpg

Edited by mania

That's a nice pair of bootlets.

The key is buying a pair of boots that are comfortable yet supportive, the Alpinestar TechRs i have get worn on every ride, i have no hesitation wearing them if i know a shopping mall will be incorporated into the day's journey. Super comfortable boots.

DO they make a perforated version of this TCX boot? (I know it won't be waterproof if it's perforated) :D

• Like 1

That's a nice pair of bootlets.

The key is buying a pair of boots that are comfortable yet supportive, the Alpinestar TechRs i have get worn on every ride, i have no hesitation wearing them if i know a shopping mall will be incorporated into the day's journey. Super comfortable boots.

DO they make a perforated version of this TCX boot? (I know it won't be waterproof if it's perforated) biggrin.png

I have not seen those Tech R's Karlos

I had looked at their fast back shoe though as it is very similar to this TCX

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-fastback-wp-shoes

But I agree the main thing is they have to be wearable

I have not noticed any other new boots from TCX except this & that Jupiter EVO

But both have a wicking material the one with Gortex & the other with their own brand

Like you I tend to look for perforated products that are also safe.

Because while it is nice & cool right now I know what is coming in April wink.png

Which is why I bought the Dainese Air Frame Jacket.

That jacket by the way really flows air!

You need to put the windbreaker liner in at night it flows that good.

But has all the removable armor in the right places & the pocket for the optional back protector as well

as the waist zip if you want to add pants.

I am waiting for their new 2013 gloves that are coming out next week.

I wanted the Air Tex but Dainese said wait till next week for the new model.

EDIT: Sorry I meant Fast Back shoes by Alpinestars not fastlane

Edited by mania

I just purchased some boots from paddock on friday. Mania your boots look like they will flex at the ankle. Ankle support was prettyhigh on my priority list. I agree about the looks as i will need to carry a set of shoes if i go for doughnuts or somethig. These are smx.plus perforated @9500 baht its a excellent price for thailand.

I wanted black.but they werent available in air

IMG-20130125-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20130125-WA0002.jpg

• Like 2

Several years ago when I was touring the US I faced the boot dilemma. I had a nice pair of waterproof "motorcycle boots," but they were useless for walking -- especially hiking on a steep gravelly trail. I was riding, camping and hiking. Looking for protection, waterproof and comfort, it became clear that the first thing I had to do was abandon my search with motorcycle equipment suppliers.

Once I broadened my search I discovered that tactical boots filled the bill perfectly. I now use a pair of 8" Bates tactical boots. They have: non-metallic composite toe protection, Goretex, traction sole for hiking and a side zipper for easy in and out, which can be important in a country where you constantly have to take off you shoes. They are also available with Kevlar protection if you want that. I chose Bates specifically because I could get an extra-wide size. Unfortunately, you will probably have to order from a US or European supplier to get a decent pair.

By the way, tactical boots, though available with Thinsulate, are considerably cooler than your average motorcycle boots.

post-171676-0-19741800-1359246500_thumb.post-171676-0-54897500-1359246528_thumb.post-171676-0-79142100-1359246548_thumb.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 2

I just purchased some boots from paddock on friday. Mania your boots look like they will flex at the ankle. Ankle support was prettyhigh on my priority list. I agree about the looks as i will need to carry a set of shoes if i go for doughnuts or somethig. These are smx.plus perforated @9500 baht its a excellent price for thailand.

I wanted black.but they werent available in air

Congrats Yankee those are nice boots.

Not sure which direction of ankle flex you mean, but

These that I got do have very good ankle protection/stiffness & the main reason I would

not go with any lower cut boot. A lot of lateral ankle stiffness comes IMO from how high the boot goes.

As such even these are not easy to get on but once in feel good & secure.

They do have some forward flex as they need to same as full boots otherwise sitting in a

sportbike position would be to taxing on front of joint. But having used full boots like what

you bought I would agree if you take a boot even higher it gets even stiffer which is why

they dont work well for walking too much more than to & from the bike. I needed boots

that would be usable on & off the bike.

One thing I wondered when I saw your boot was the toe sliders. On the Tecknic

Boots I had I ground them down to the rail but they could be slid off & changed.

But I see by your pictures that yours look curved. Are they removable/changeable?

Edited by mania

Once I broadened my search I discovered that tactical boots filled the bill perfectly.

I agree ticketmaster, that tact boots do offer a good amount of protection.

Also available in wider widths because like you I have a wider foot.

But for me the main problem is stack height from bottom of sole to top of toe.

Because usually the toe does not taper down & the sole is something beefier

tread wise for hiking.

Many are just too tall in that stack height profile for me to be quickly getting above & below the shifter.

But again it just depends on our needs both on & off the bike

Like you said in your case you also need that hiking steep trail

ability.

@ Mania

I guess what i am trying to say is lack of twist protection. They look good for impact. I have been looking for a similar pair but probably wouldn't wear them doing dumb hooligan stuff. I honestly cant believe i am writing this as 99% of my riding i went with no helmet in FL.

• Like 1

Once I broadened my search I discovered that tactical boots filled the bill perfectly.

I agree ticketmaster, that tact boots do offer a good amount of protection.

Also available in wider widths because like you I have a wider foot.

But for me the main problem is stack height from bottom of sole to top of toe.

Because usually the toe does not taper down & the sole is something beefier

tread wise for hiking.

Many are just too tall in that stack height profile for me to be quickly getting above & below the shifter.

But again it just depends on our needs both on & off the bike

Like you said in your case you also need that hiking steep trail

ability.

That reminds me. I always glue a leather patch on the shifter area of the tactical boot. I almost wore a hole through that spot on the first pair of tactical boots I had.

I will be the first to admit that for a hardcore sport rider, the tactical boot would not be the best option. Better to have something designed for the sport. But for the touring rider who likes to throw in a hike, or wants to park and walk around town without changing footwear, they are just the ticket. I despise helmets (I wear a lightweight snowboarding helmet to satisfy the law) and have pretty much given up the hooligan stuff. I must be getting old.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

Mania i m sure you bought them from panda rider.

I m at the same boat with you. I m looking forward to a nice biking boat but i need to wear it at work - our dress code allows only full black formal shoes - and i want it look normal not like space trooper boots.

I m going to panda rider today - if they are open - to check some boots and to buy a tank bad.

I liked the goretex version of tcx boots. Besides they have some other street models too.

I have seen nice style ones at dainese shop too.

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

@ Mania

I guess what i am trying to say is lack of twist protection. They look good for impact. I have been looking for a similar pair but probably wouldn't wear them doing dumb hooligan stuff. I honestly cant believe i am writing this as 99% of my riding i went with no helmet in FL.

That is funny about the no helmet :)

Yes for sure the full boot with all the reinforcement hinging etc will have more torsional resistance.

But I have to draw the line somewhere.

I am sport riding but if I were at the track again of course full boots,full leathers, etc.

Although there are a few times I did wish for knee sliders as there are some perfect sweeping turns here rolleyes.gif

But instead I am sport riding mostly alone but at times like today took the wife on a really nice 70km loop in the mountains here called

Samoeng where they have that Krisadadoi Resort. Really nice & really twisty road. Many sport bikes & road cyclist too.

Sometimes we get off for pictures & definitely for snacks/lunch etc.

So this type of protection I think is adequate & functional

I will say the new boots were very comfortable today. I was afraid the uppers might be a bit stiff when angled forward

but it was not bad at all.

On of the main reason for me to buy a light and small 500 cc bike is not buying full serious spaceship trooper looking riding or racing gear as with my bike, i can go for a ride with a jean, jacket and gloves and still look normal but cannot do it on a cbr600 or ducati panigale as you look and feel like inappropriate on the bike.

I would like to be light and cool on a bike not confined and burned in full gear that is why i am buying only street gear good for hot climates only.

Of course you get the best protection from full gear though. A fall from 1000 cc inline four is harsher than a fall from 500 cc twin for sure!

A fall from 1000 cc inline four is harsher than a fall from 500 cc twin for sure!

Oh I don't know about that LL

Worse get off I ever had was off a racing 250 Honda 2 stroke came off at approximately 55-65mph

It was earth, sky,earth,sky earth,sky for what seemed like forever.

I was dressed for racing & all I had injury wise was my left baby finger was pointing out

90 degrees from where it should have been. Goodnight, you know how they fix that?

They put a Chinese finger handcuff looking thing made of wire mesh on your finger

& yank it with a cord that is attached to the end....ouch :lol:

So I would say dress for the type of riding you plan to do more than the size of the

bike your riding.... Sh!t happens ;)

• Like 1

A fall from 1000 cc inline four is harsher than a fall from 500 cc twin for sure!

Worse get off I ever had was off a racing 250 Honda 2 stroke came off at approximately 55-65mph

I was dressed for racing & all I had injury wise was my left baby finger was pointing out

90 degrees from where it should have been. Goodnight, you know how they fix that?

They put a Chinese finger handcuff looking thing made of wire mesh on your finger

& yank it with a cord that is attached to the end....ouch laugh.png

So I would say dress for the type of riding you plan to do more than the size of the

bike your riding.... Sh!t happens wink.png

mania, i know what you mean.

I got my worst fall from a 100 cc honda scooter back home and i was riding it like 50 kmh!!! nearly all broken ribs, problem with tendons on both arms and legs, horrible bruises etc. my gf washed and dressed me for around 4 monthsbiggrin.png

Yes, you never know when the shit comes and finds you.

But probability of you being dead is higher on a fast bike especially one that goes over 200 km otherwise all the scooter heads are riding with full gear know.

Edited by loserlazer

& yank it with a cord that is attached to the end....ouch laugh.png

bike your riding.... Sh!t happens wink.png

mania, i know what you mean.

I got my worst fall from a 100 cc honda scooter back home and i was riding it like 50 kmh!!! nearly all broken ribs, problem with tendons on both arms and legs, horrible bruises etc. my gf washed and dressed me for around 4 monthsbiggrin.png

Yes, you never know when the shit comes and finds you.

But probability of you being dead is higher on a fast bike especially one that goes over 200 km otherwise all the scooter heads are riding with full gear know.

Swings and roundabouts really.

Most of us sensible/cautious riders are most likely to get killed by other road users, irrespective of what bike we ride.

• Like 2