Gbp Sterling Account In Thai

Hello

I am thinking of opening sterling account in Thailand.

The reason is that I sold a property and the cash is sitting in a bank account in Thailand.

I want to withdraw the cash, approximately 3 million as an example, and then have it changed into GBP.

I then want to open a sterling account.

I inquired with SCB and they were helpful in that they said I can open the account as such.

I then asked about transferring the GBP to my UK account. They said up to 20,000 USD can be sent at a time but if over this I need to request from Bank of Thailand for permission to send and need to show evidence of money entering Thai.

Ok, I transferred approx £25,000 in 2004 via swift payment for land. Then in 2006 over a number of months/days a relative withdrew approx £240 per day until approx £35,000 was banked in Thailand. I have my nationwide bs statements showing these withdrawals as well as the swift transaction.

Is this evidence enough to allow all the cash to be transferred from Thai to my UK account in one transaction?

I put another thread out about buying sterling travellers cheques and then putting these in my UK account on my return as another option.

Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

Thanks

Anyone with serious or experienced comments?

I would say "NO" it's not good enough evidence.

When i went to open a USD or GBP a/c with BKK bank they also told me that for withdrawals from the bank they would charge me 3%, needless to say i did NOT open the a/c in the end.

Anyone with serious or experienced comments?

I would say "NO" it's not good enough evidence.

When i went to open a USD or GBP a/c with BKK bank they also told me that for withdrawals from the bank they would charge me 3%, needless to say i did NOT open the a/c in the end.

3% bloody hell, that's too much. I'd pay 1%. No way 3%.

Thanks for your reply and the heads up.

Best regards

The Thai Deposit protection scheme was extended I believe to cover all deposits by consumers (not businesses), the limit of coverage was scheduled to be reduced to 1 mill. but in the end was left as is.

I clicked like, as it was good to have a potentially useful piece of information. But it encouraged me to go to the horse's mouth and I checked on the Deposit Protection Agency website. The relevant English language page still shows THB 1 million:

http://www.dpa.or.th/ewt_news.php?nid=320&filename=index___EN

Does anyone have an authoritative source to say this is wrong? Maybe I'll call my bank. TIT - you need at least two corroborating pieces of hard evidence!!

The Thai Deposit protection scheme was extended I believe to cover all deposits by consumers (not businesses), the limit of coverage was scheduled to be reduced to 1 mill. but in the end was left as is.

I clicked like, as it was good to have a potentially useful piece of information. But it encouraged me to go to the horse's mouth and I checked on the Deposit Protection Agency website. The relevant English language page still shows THB 1 million:

http://www.dpa.or.th...name=index___EN

Does anyone have an authoritative source to say this is wrong? Maybe I'll call my bank. TIT - you need at least two corroborating pieces of hard evidence!!

You've misread it I think, look again and you'll see that the 1 mill limit comes in after 2016, currently it's 50 mill.

You've misread it I think, look again and you'll see that the 1 mill limit comes in after 2016, currently it's 50 mill.

Bu$$er me. Your'e right! Big misread by me! 50m baht is massive cover. One can but wonder if it would be honoured if a big bank failed but it certainly puts less pressure on having a portfolio of banks for the next few years. Thanks Chiang Mai - shows the worth of having these financial threads on TV

Bu$$er me.

Can I pass please. laugh.png