Computer For 16K - Any Ideas?

mjj

OK, my wife's 14 year old cousin needs a computer for school work. We have been given a budget of 20k, but that has to include an aircard and a printer, so I think about 16k for the computer.

The cousin lives in the boonies and I guess is quite computer illiterate, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks its a toaster. I'm thinking a laptop/notebook instead of a tower, but other than that I don't really know.

Mrs mjj went to the shops today and was steered towards a Dell 3421. Anyone have an opinion?

Is windows 8 a must or a luxury at this price?

Any recommendations are welcome, or just as important any warnings of what not to get?

Thanks

Mjj

Lots of bargain laptops at BigC and Lotus Tescos - don't know where you are, but its not hard to get hooky win7 or 8 - but if he's starting from scratch, why not start him off on Ubuntu and then he's free and legit.

• Like 1

Be aware that there are 2 versions of Windows 8. There is Windows 8 RT which has been released, but will not run normal windows programs. Windows 8 RT requires special RT versions of programs.

The real Windows 8 is due to be released sometime around now. This non-RT version will run normal windows programs.

Personally, I would avoid Windows 8 until such time as the verdict is in and SP1 has been released, especially if the hardware you are buying is NOT touchscreen.

• Like 1

Lots of bargain laptops at BigC and Lotus Tescos - don't know where you are, but its not hard to get hooky win7 or 8 - but if he's starting from scratch, why not start him off on Ubuntu and then he's free and legit.

Generally ANY supermarket is the worst place you can pick up anything with a plug. If it beaks down you'll get it back within a month.

Be aware that there are 2 versions of Windows 8. There is Windows 8 RT which has been released, but will not run normal windows programs

Win RT is not available as "installable Software for PC"

It's for "ARM-CPU" and comes only with MS RT Tablets. So no need to worry about, unless you thinking about, buying a tablet...

Edited by retoocs01

Be aware that there are 2 versions of Windows 8. There is Windows 8 RT which has been released, but will not run normal windows programs

Win RT is not available as "installable Software for PC"

It's for "ARM-CPU" and comes only with MS RT Tablets. So no need to worry about, unless you thinking about, buying a tablet...

And than there is good old common knowledge: NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING FROM microcrap BEFORE SP 1 thumbsup.gif

edit to add: look at this: ubuntu so much better than win 8

Edited by JakeBKK

one more thought : buying a dell in LOS is a tricky issue. Even good places like it city cut dell service short. If you want dell's next day on-site-service ( we will be there tomorrow at 10 and they actually come early) buy directly with them an not in a retail store.

T

Be aware that there are 2 versions of Windows 8. There is Windows 8 RT which has been released, but will not run normal windows programs. Windows 8 RT requires special RT versions of programs.

The real Windows 8 is due to be released sometime around now. This non-RT version will run normal windows programs.

Personally, I would avoid Windows 8 until such time as the verdict is in and SP1 has been released, especially if the hardware you are buying is NOT touchscreen.

win 8 is touchscreen compatible but does great on a nomal i agree on the fact to wait for the service packs to come took win 7 5 years and still not finished

for your q i also recommend a clean notebook or pad with an ubuntu install on it / or i hate to say it an applesick.gif

I got my Tower PC with free printer, LCD monitor (18.5 inch) etc from JIB Computer for 12,000 around a year ago. Copy of Win 7 for 300b.

4GB Ram.

500GB HDD

Inter G620 2.60ghz processor.

All good. :)

Just took about 30 mins to get all the sh!t loaded onto it with the Win 7 copy off. :D

Though he'll probably appreciate camfrog, Thai music hits etc etc.

Don't buy a copy Window 7 or 8, when I ran a copy Win XP and started to update, microsoft quikly found out that I was running a copy and started to shut my PC desktop down. Now I run a original 64 bit Win 7 and are happy with it.

My netbook runs a preinstalled Win 7 starter which is okay but you can't even change the background picture on it.

Thanks for you replies.

We won't go for a copy of anything, just I case something goes wrong and I'm left to sort it out. We won't go for a tablet eithet, even though that is what I suggested.

The main thing is reliability so nothing comes back on mrs mjj.

As no one has recommended an actual make of computer, would I be right in assuming they are all similar?

One small tip on buying a printer. The cheapo printer/copier/scanners are ~ 2,000B (6 months ago they were 1500B), straight printers ~ 1200B.

Having scanning/copying capability is a real blessing. But as lemonjelly advised above

< watch out when buying a printer.....go for a printer that can take ink reservoir tanks or you'll be spending @500 baht to replace ink cartridges>

So if you buy a cheapie (like my HP deskjet 2050), when printing, go into 'properties' select 'print in greyscale' and/or 'fast draft', to improve the longevity of the cartridges. AA

As no one has recommended an actual make of computer, would I be right in assuming they are all similar?

Pretty much.

I would do what I did.

Get a PC built from the optional sets a well based local computer company such as JIB has.

They often have different packages on promotion. And build them there after you choose. Unless the kid is doing high-end design and visual work your budget is more than sufficient. Even too much. Under 15k for the lot.

A copy of Win 7 is identical in every single way to the original and updates as you please.

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

Don't buy a copy Window 7 or 8, when I ran a copy Win XP and started to update, microsoft quikly found out that I was running a copy and started to shut my PC desktop down. Now I run a original 64 bit Win 7 and are happy with it.

My netbook runs a preinstalled Win 7 starter which is okay but you can't even change the background picture on it.

Auto updates and YES they will soon see it is an iffy copy, that is why many people with a copy turn that off ;)

16 k should get you a pretty decent i5 system with a 500 gb hdd , 4gb ram and the works...

unless you are aiming for something like the asus transformer series, that would set you back around 25k -stick with win 7 ,retailing locally for 3k THB.

• Like 1

Just buy a copy of win7 but dont install KB971033 update, thats the one that checks your version. Never had a problem and i'm bang up to date.

• Like 1