Health Insurance Vs. Self Insurance: Your Thoughts?

SkyRider

There we go,quote the impossible. Do your homework you will find Malaysia a paradise of medical help,get over to Alor Star or better still Penang(Malaysia is definitely way less expensive than Thailand) Personally I go to India,3 hours away and know its the best and cheapest probably of anywhere else in the world. I'm off there in a weeks time to get bi-annual bowel/prostate,eye surgery ,whatever I can shove in in the timescale allowed

Now about airmedivac, book business class ,they are less likely to offload if ill,check in late. AirIndia allows one stretcher per flight for seat price,few others that cannot remember right now,but worth while knowing

if you keep banging the insurance drum often enough you will surely convince yourself. Just do a little bit more travelling out of Thailand,see how much better it all is

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously your under the 65 age barrier because I have seen no provisions for medical evacuation for 65s and over.

"No premium is likely to be as costly as a single operation" , no, but two or three years premiums would certainly put you in that bracket in the ever increasing eye watering amounts required

. Have you seen the maxed out amounts that insurance companies are willing to pay out for over 65s?never would they meet the cost of a major operation.This is Thailand

Personally I have no medical insurance pointless in Thailand,overpriced medical crap on offer along with supposed medical assurance,but personally I am bombproof,through past employment my care/flights/recuperation are met to the full, privately too,better than any printed out medical insurance crap that can be pulled at a moments notice in LOS

One more thing,any incident of over an 65 year old requiring surgery would induce a cancelled policy ASAP as soon as the maxed out amount was reached, and that would obviously be reached as soon as the OAP entered the hospital

You are wrong on so many points unless you are talking about cheap low cover policies. Perhaps you are just anti-insurance as a matter of principle.

LMGs top product gives very high limits and the cover, once in force, isn't limited or cancelled. I don't know about other companies' products except for BUPA which I recall was inferior.

You can run up a bill for THB1m in no time. It would take a few years for premiums to accumulate that sort of total. Perhaps, instead of buying insurance you could save the same amount as the premiums and hope that you don't need major treatment until you have enough!

I have quoted before about keeping fit here in Thailand,once health fails its outa Thailand.

Does your cover include pre and post 65 birthday,and as a proportion what are your premiums for over 65? I bet its more than eye watering.

I have been reading a few threads concerning this topic, and in all of them I read several post claiming that at 65 the premiums are incredible high and at 75 they are not affordable anymore at all.

Yet I couldn't find a single post with an actual figure about how much those premiums would be at those ages.

It would be very appreciated if anyone could posty some ballpark figure about what the premiums would be at 70 years of age and oider for an health insurance started at the age of 50.

I have been reading a few threads concerning this topic, and in all of them I read several post claiming that at 65 the premiums are incredible high and at 75 they are not affordable anymore at all.

Yet I couldn't find a single post with an actual figure about how much those premiums would be at those ages.

It would be very appreciated if anyone could posty some ballpark figure about what the premiums would be at 70 years of age and oider for an health insurance started at the age of 50.

I know the 70 to 75 premium from Allianz for hospitalisation = US$2,215 That is US$500,000 of cover

Premiums will vary form insurer to insurer and depend on health as ell as age. Why don't you get some quotations for yourself from a broker?

I know the 70 to 75 premium from Allianz for hospitalisation = US$2,215 That is US$500,000 of cover

That level of cover is worthless. The main point of buying insurance is to cover major illness and dread disease. Bills can easily exceed THB1m even before treatments is complete.

That level of cover is worthless. The main point of buying insurance is to cover major illness and dread disease. Bills can easily exceed THB1m even before treatments is complete.

With a 1 million Baht treatment he still has 14 million left.

The schemes or plans as mentioned above for elderly persons cover such persons while they domicile in their home country. Once you choose to live in a country where you are not a citizen or maybe married to one, the rules change. In Thailand, there are coverages that are only in effect if you subscribe before the age of 60. If you wait until post 60, your options are greatly limited.

NB: Self-insurance and no-insurance are not the same thing. 'Insurance' by definition has some component of probability. Putting a stash of cash away in reserve is not insurance self or otherwise if you have no other coverages ie catastrophic illness coverage.

Those who take the approach that they can 'hop on a plane' back to their home country for treatment should the need arise presume they will be well enough even to make it to Swampy let alone for the long haul flight and wait for treatment back home.

Have you yet noticed how nobody bothers to repsond any more to your single point on this issue that gets reguritated every time this subject reappears.

Yes.

Premiums will vary form insurer to insurer and depend on health as ell as age. Why don't you get some quotations for yourself from a broker?

Maybe because this is a forum ?

fo·rum

/ˈfôrəm/
Noun
  1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  2. An Internet message board.

That translates into roughly 70.000 Baht a year, or 6000 Baht a month for a in my opinion very good cover.

So in my opinion, the people who think that this isn't affordable must be very short of cash.

• Like 1

Opps, sorry, I didn't notice the foreign currency.

That limit is probably a policy lifetime limit rather than a per treatment for each ailment limit.

I cannot see any reason for a pensioner remaining in Thailand with ill health,the suggested amounts would be eaten up in no time in Thailand. The only good thing about BUPA is returning to UK go to private doctor on this scheme,pay him £300 or so and get to the top of the NHS waiting list.

good reasoning to learn about health care in Malaysia anyway,mostly train ride/plane ride away and far cheaper than Thailand

The scare stories of ICU and stuff are mostly young motorcyclists,no helmets,etc,no insurance, me? Ill not exactly save money,but have enough to bail myself out of any immediate situation

That limit is probably a policy lifetime limit rather than a per treatment for each ailment limit.

Very strange that you can reach those conclusions without seeing or knowing the policy. a 500.000 US$ limit per illness is certainly not out of the ordinary and could very well be what he meant here.

I cannot see any reason for a pensioner remaining in Thailand with ill health,the suggested amounts would be eaten up in no time in Thailand. The only good thing about BUPA is returning to UK go to private doctor on this scheme,pay him £300 or so and get to the top of the NHS waiting list.

good reasoning to learn about health care in Malaysia anyway,mostly train ride/plane ride away and far cheaper than Thailand

The scare stories of ICU and stuff are mostly young motorcyclists,no helmets,etc,no insurance, me? Ill not exactly save money,but have enough to bail myself out of any immediate situation

Again, why not gives us some figures about Malaysian healtcare instead of speaking in secrets .

Does this mean that can only be threated at a Malaysian hospital ?

Very strange that you can reach those conclusions without seeing or knowing the policy. a 500.000 US$ limit per illness is certainly not out of the ordinary and could very well be what he meant here.

I did say 'probably'!

Again, why not gives us some figures about Malaysian healtcare instead of speaking in secrets .

Personally I like India for health care, I find it easier to get there than Malaysia....(torn muscle middle of the knee,starting quotes $12000 MRI scanning, rising to giddy heights of $40000 plus with private room etc etc in Thailand,had it done in India for $700.

Friends from Phuket,all met up frequently,one smashed his hand badly sailboarding,Phuket hospital quote $7000 plus,...Penang all fixed up ,bones reset medications etc for 1 Ringet,extreme I guess

Off to India in few days time All body scan,plus plus

Personally I like India for health care, I find it easier to get there than Malaysia....(torn muscle middle of the knee,starting quotes $12000 MRI scanning, rising to giddy heights of $40000 plus with private room etc etc in Thailand,had it done in India for $700.

Friends from Phuket,all met up frequently,one smashed his hand badly sailboarding,Phuket hospital quote $7000 plus,...Penang all fixed up ,bones reset medications etc for 1 Ringet,extreme I guess

So you claim that Malaysia fixed an injury from a non resident virtually for free where it in Thailand costed 7000$.

Sorry but I have problems to believe that.

So you claim that Malaysia fixed an injury from a non resident virtually for free where it in Thailand costed 7000$.

I'm not bothered if you do or do not,the guy concerned did follow up with the ex colonised bit ,the doc was all over him. We all met up in California WOW before it all closed,now all scattered to the wind

there are other comments on threads running here that do mention Malasian health care,one recently about the high cost in Thailand compared to KL MRI scanners ,(the guy could not afford health care in Thailand any more)

Get over to India Goa in particular ,now those prices would make your head spin in unbelievable circles

Edited by pinfold

I'm not bothered if you do or do not,the guy concerned did follow up with the ex colonised bit ,the doc was all over him. We all met up in California WOW before it all closed,now all scattered to the wind

there are other comments on threads running here that do mention Malasian health care,one recently about the high cost in Thailand compared to KL MRI scanners ,(the guy could not afford health care in Thailand any more)

Get over to India Goa in particular ,now those prices would make your head spin in unbelievable circles

I don't dispute that healthcare is cheaper in other countries, however you have to take in account the travel cost also, but you claimed they did a 7000$ threatment for FREE.

Maybe when it snows in Thailand whistling.gif

I don't dispute that healthcare is cheaper in other countries, however you have to take in account the travel cost also, but you claimed they did a 7000$ threatment for FREE.

Not "free" 1 ringit Look at the Rupee exchange against most currencies A bargain All body scanner Siemens Megaton the very latest imaging was about $250 last year,cheaper now ,going next week may elect for that instead of individual testing .

Im sure you will do well in Thailand good luck to you

I did say 'probably'!

So? Don't make statements about things you know nothing about, probably or not. Probably not BTW.

Not "free" 1 ringit Look at the Rupee exchange against most currencies A bargain All body scanner Siemens Megaton the very latest imaging was about $250 last year,cheaper now ,going next week may elect for that instead of individual testing .

Im sure you will do well in Thailand good luck to you

You are the same poster that claimed they charged your friend 18.000 Baht for an eye test isn't it ? An axe to grind somewhere?

Saw him last night actually,he is a bit pissed off,leaving for treatment elsewhere (than Thailand)

Oh! just looked again at your comment "an eye test" no series of unsuccessful "eye tests"

Good luck in Thailand

Edited by pinfold

I'm sure Malaysian health care will be flooded shortly with all Thais and foreigners living in Thailand going there for the free healthcare.

From what I ascertain Thais have their own health care system in place,the GF flashed her ID card last week at the dentist obviously used as per their health system,and I would not think Thais are particularly welcomed in Malaysia,I get that impression generally when there with the GF

Do not think foreigners generally can get off their <deleted> to explore other options than that of where they live

I'm sure Malaysian health care will be flooded shortly with all Thais and foreigners living in Thailand going there for the free healthcare.

From what I ascertain Thais have their own health care system in place,the GF flashed her ID card last week at the dentist obviously used as per their health system,and I would not think Thais are particularly welcomed in Malaysia,I get that impression generally when there with the GF

Do not think foreigners generally can get off their <deleted> to explore other options than that of where they live

You are clearly making up stories as you go.

Thais have a certain healtcare system which applies for certain conditions and at the government hospitals.

There is no dentist in Thailand that gonna be impressed with your GF flashing her ID card.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Thais have a certain healtcare system which applies for certain conditions and at the government hospitals.

There is no dentist in Thailand that gonna be impressed with your GF flashing her ID card.

For someone who constantly gets things wrong,..yes, your wrong again LOL

Certainly a flatulent retort from someone unknowing and ignorant of the given situation. was required for private insurance plan,continuation

it depends where she keeps her ID card when flashing it tongue.png

• Like 1

For someone who constantly gets things wrong,..yes, your wrong again LOL

Certainly a flatulent retort from someone unknowing and ignorant of the given situation. was required for private insurance plan,continuation

But that isn't what you said before.

This is what you said : Thais have their own health care system in place,the GF flashed her ID card last week at the dentist obviously used as per their health system

Which clearly means that you were indicating that her dental cost at a private dentist practice were covered by a government healthcare plan, no word from you previously about PRIVATE insurance .

Edited by jbrain